Undertale: The Haxening.

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, Dec 2, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Alrighty, so, in the Undertale thread I bragged about the ridiculous things I was doing to make my genocide run easier for me (giving myself impossible items and extra health) and a few people were surprised and impressed.

What I did wasn't very difficult; the hardest part was the searching around online for the bits and pieces of info that data miners had put up, and trying to compile myself a coherent compilation of their pieces. The actual editing of things takes far less effort than it did to type this paragraph. But since no one seems to have written an easy, layman's guide to doing this stuff, I can see why it seemed impressive.

- So you want to be a god. -

First thing is, you need to have a copy of Undertale. I assume you've already taken care of that.

Second thing is, you need to find where your game keeps its save files. I've mostly been playing a Steam copy of the game in Windows 7, so for me, it was in C:\users\[User's account name]\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE

[​IMG]

I'm afraid I can't give you handy screenshots if you're using another operating system. All I can do is suggest using whatever Find or Search thing you have, and look for the folder titled UNDERTALE.

If you find the correct folder, there should be between 3-5 files in it, generally 4 like the above screenshot.

[​IMG]

This is the file titled undertale, and it's the data that persists between continues/loads/deaths. This is the spoooooky file.

[​IMG]

This is file0 and I am a little bit spades for it, but not nearly as much now that I've made my reference compilation of what the data miners figured out. The first time I looked at it I just saw unlabeled numbers that I could scroll through for ages and I wanted to cry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it! I open those files in notepad or whatever equivalent, edit the numbers, save, and reload Undertale. Sometimes I discover that I edited something wrong and get a weird result (like being stuck in a void with the annoying dog while dogsong plays forever), but not usually.

SO! Be sure to copy all these files and save the copies in a convenient location, so that if you mess up, you can try again.

- You think you are above consequences. -

But, I feel compelled to warn you.

If you believe that you are above consequences...

There's one thing the game saves that this guide does not address.

One lingering consequence that may be harder to change whenever you like.

I'm afraid I can give no advice on that one.

- I did what your guide said and it didn't work! -

I'll need you to be more specific than that. Comment to this, pinging my name to be doubly sure I know you have a question, and I'll see if I can offer help.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    • Like x 3
  2. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Someone has set up a website to help out with this sort of thing: Flowey's Time Machine.
    It can get a little wonky if you're trying to mess with event flags or skip around the plot, but if you just need money and items it's pretty useful.

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice