Unregistered user participation...

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 24, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So it looks like it's possible to permit users who aren't registered yet, or who haven't been confirmed, to participate in forums somewhat. Problem: If you're not even logged in at all, you can't see your own threads even in forums that theoretically let you see your own threads. My intent has been to have some forums (like the abuse forum) not allow unregistered members to see threads by other people, just to provide some search engine bot resistance, but I also sort of want to allow people to post in the is-this-abuse forum without having to register at all. Or possibly a subforum for that.

Still thinking about this. Second opinions valued.

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

isn't there a way to just block crawlers from logging the forum?

3. seebs

Not reliably, and I sorta wanna have it be not-easy for searchbots and lurkers to browse the abuse stuff without at least making some kind of effort.

• Like x 1
  4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

if it was possible to allow anyone to post and read, but make it impossible for nonregistered members to see profile name of posters (is that possible? who knows! not me!)

5. seebs

I don't think so? I'm not sure. I haven't seen a way to control whether you can see usernames, anyway.

So I may not be able to make that work the way I'd like it to.

6. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I didn't think that was possible, honestly. Possibly toss in a strong recommendation to do those subaccount things?

7. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

For the completely anonymous no-account stuff, a separate subforum seems like it'd work pretty well? I mean, people would have to trigger warn of their own volition, but it'd be kind of a buffer and also give people a way to check back for responses.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice