Urgent Advice Needed:

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Allenna, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

Social Security just called me. To remind me of an appoint hearing for Friday. That I was never told about. That I had no clue about. That I do not have a lawyer yet for (Because I didn't have a new hearing yet and partly because they gave me a four page sheet of number to try and call and everytime I pick it up to start calling I have a panic attack) and I'm in another state right now. I don't know what to do. I called but I have a 40 minute wait to be called back. What do I do?! I can't get back to texas for this on friday, I don't have a lawyer which was why the first hearing was postponed. What do I do? I never got paperwork about this! And your supposed to have to send stuff back to agree and no one has called me. Why is this happening

2. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

OK. First thing: Wait 40 minutes for them to call back. You already made the first call, and they said they'd call back, which puts the ball out of your court for now.

Focus on the next step you're going to take. Don't go over the Whole Thing every time you think of what you're going to do next, just one thing at a time. In the meantime, try to stay calm enough to deal with the next step you need to take. Focus on clearly communicating what you need from them, think of which specific questions you need to ask.

If they don't call back in the 40 minutes they said, call them again. That's as far ahead as you need to think right now. Deep breaths.

3. Allenna

on phone with them

• Like x 1
  4. Allenna

they made me call another number where I was quickly transferred to a voice mail in box. And nothing is resolved and I can't just curl up and start sobbing here. I know it's not the end of the world if I have to start over, but I don't want to and I never got anything. They said I got the first notice july 31, no I didn't. I didn't get anything from them.

• Like x 1
  5. vegacoyote

OK. Update us when things cool down enough for you. I texted my mom at her legal aid office, see if she knows someone who knows someone. Gonna ask about accommodations for someone with severe phone anxiety.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  6. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

How did it go? (if the call's already over that is)

7. Allenna

I'm waiting and hoping for whoever the vocie mail box the receptionist at the local office that the main number told me to call - calls me back?

• Like x 1
  8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Good luck with it. I hope everything goes well for you. Not getting notices sucks :(

9. Allenna

My postal person has been misplacing my packages and giving me other peoples mail and my mail to other people for two months now and I've been reporting him for well destorying boxes and not deilverying stuff. I wonder if he's been 'loosing' important looking mail. ):

• Like x 1
  10. vegacoyote

OK. Accommodations for phone anxiety: if you are there with someone else when they call, you can authorize them to talk on your behalf. Do you have someone you trust with you?

(Preliminary step. If not, we can try to figure out something else.)

11. Allenna

I could probably get my partner or my partners parent to talk to them if/when they call me back. He's at work, but she's here with me. I'm in Seattle right now.

• Like x 1
  12. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

not like you need affirmation of how horrible this is but that's a federal crime and i'm glad you've been reporting it

• Like x 1
  13. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

Well that's all kinds of fucked up. I don't really have any advice to give, but I'm thinking of you and I hope a) that douchenut gets what he deserves and b) that things turn out well for you.

14. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

And the Postal Inspectors are serious business. I've had a few dealings with them on behalf of clients and they don't screw around.

15. Allenna

I've been making the reports and complaints, I can only hope they are being paid attention too. Like I had an EMS package got to my neighbor, as in just left on their porch with the tracking saying it was signed for. :/ My notification might have gone to neighbors that just trashed it or you know he threw them out out of spite of me reporting him.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the local official about my hearing. I'm hoping they call soon. :/

16. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I have had interview notices get lost in the mail, before, and it was fine, they just rescheduled it for me. I'm sure this will work out

ETA: I mean the "we need to keep track of your disability and assets" interviews, not an unrelated job interview or anything

17. Allenna

Yeah this is a hearing. ): and its this friday.

18. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I think it's really fucked up how hard they make getting disability; it makes the people who actually have serious problems fail to get it because they can't keep up with all the crap they want you to do, all the appointments, all the bullshit. They claim to be doing it to keep out scammers -- but scammers are healthy really, and can keep up with all of this!

• Like x 4
  19. Allenna

Update: Couldn't reach an actually person today either. Left another message. I'm not sure what else I can do. I guess if I'll be starting the whole process over after three-four years. ):

20. Allenna

Follow up: Got back had letter asking me to explain why I wasn't there. Sent back in letter with more than enough time. Today, got a letter saying my hearing and case was being dismissed and they did not get any form from me at all nor notification that I would not appear at my hearing. So not only did the phone messages I left in the place I was told I needed to leave them not get listened to or paid attention to, my letter I mailed back using their envelope disappeared into the postal service. I know have 60 days to appeal in writing and that's all I could make sense of before I started crying.

I know starting over isn't the end of the world, but it's been four years and I was so close to at least having a hearing.

I don't know what to do. My besties grandmother has said she'll help me do all the hard phone calls and stuff to get me a lawyer and into whatever doctors and stuff I need (offer was made before today) but I don't want to burden her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice