user on post moderation

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 8, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So after discussion with the mods, and a consultation with xenforo technical support, I have successfully put this account on post moderation "due to a history of posts which upset other users".

• Like x 16
  2. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

About dang time.

• Like x 8
  3. seebs

And: yes, really. I agree that there's a problem, this seems like it might help with the problem, we'll see how it goes.

• Like x 4
  4. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Objection: Title of this thread scared me. Ban Seebs. Total anarchy from here on out.

</sarcasm>

I'm glad to see you're also helping yourself, Seebs. But I'm not entirely sure what you said was always the issue, sometimes it's just "that was a shitty apology, try again?". But, alas, do you. I hope it helps, really.

• Like x 4
  5. seebs

I'm pretty sure that often it wasn't what I said at all. Evidence: I didn't write all my recent posts in drama threads. Some of them, I had other people write a post vaguely on a topic, and posted their words unedited. The reactions did not significantly vary from the range I usually get.

I do tend to be hasty about things and not really think through implications or effects, and I'm fine with saying "yeah, that's a good point, this idea is horrible", but people are still scared or hurt in the first place, so. Until I'm a heck of a lot calmer, posts from me have to get seen by someone else to go through.

6. Azurite

Azurite Just Floating

Seebs, thank you.

I keep waffling about investing more time and energy here, but that you are willing to apply the same rules to yourself that you want to implement is a major point for staying. I also really hope this encourages you to take frequent breaks. Everyone, hopefully yourself included, is happier when you do that.

• Like x 9
  7. seebs

I feel I should point out, this isn't a change in policy, this is a discovery of a clever hack which makes it technically possible to do the thing without having to fuck around so much with logging in and out to do things.

I have always been just as much obliged to Try To Be Good as everyone else. Possibly more so.

• Like x 8
  8. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'm glad that you're doing this, applying it to yourself and all. it's reassuring and nice to see. i had already trusted you before this, but seeing things like this does help.

and really, some of your recent posts in the drama threads weren't actually written by you?

i'm surprised. they all sounded like they were by seebs, and not just 'cause they were under your account. huh. weird.

• Like x 1
  9. seebs

Yup. Not gonna identify the specifics, but I had two posts written by people who are wildly unlike me, but who have similar opinions on some issues. None of them are statements I did not agree with or endorse, but they were statements I had basically no input into the drafting of, where I just made a yes/no decision on posting.

And it had zero observed impact on how people felt about the posts. People who think I'm horrible continue to think I'm horrible. People who think I'm great continue to think I'm great.

The only people whose continuity-of-opinion is not vaguely distressing are the ones who always thought I was just another human, fallibilities and quirks and all, and who continued thinking that. Everyone else is making me nervous.

• Like x 8
  10. unknownanonymous

ah! now i'm even more confused by my inability to notice a difference.

and for the record, i think that i think of you as just a human. like, you're awesome but not perfect and sometimes you do things that piss me off or make me anxious, and you try to do the best you can. and i hope i've managed to convey that!

• Like x 2
  11. seebs

you have, and it has been a comfort.

• Like x 3
  12. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Ha, wow, I've been back over that conversation a few times, and I still have no clue which posts weren't you, never even mind who the authors could have been. That's really interesting.

Also for the record, I think I've got a decent grasp on your humanity, and I hope I interact in a way that reflects that. I've fallen into the idealization pit with you before, way back when, but I think I'm striking a decent balance of things these days.

• Like x 5
  13. unknownanonymous

:D

• Like x 2
  14. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

im confused. should we have noticed the difference? what was the point of the science

15. shmeed

shmeed plant me

i thought you were being a bit snarkier than usual. though that could have just been a result of forum drama and the absence of a long-overdue vacation. glad you're taking a break.
    fwiw i also see you as just a person who's trying to do the best thing here, and having a bunch of people argue with everything you do has got to be draining. wishing you the best on your break.

• Like x 2
  16. unknownanonymous

i think it was, 'will you guys like me better if i stop "being seebs"?'

17. shmeed

shmeed plant me

ok actually i've been thinking and what does this mean? what changes if you put yourself on moderation? what does this mean? please spell this out for a fellow sperg. i'm so confused, seebs

• Like x 1
  18. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I presumed it means other mods can stop seebs from saying shit like "maybe I'll delete the forum" (which is apparently a drama I missed) before they can say "WHAT IF NO LET'S TALK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU GIVE EVERYONE A MELTDOWN" since while seebs has many talents, tact is not necessarily one of them.

• Like x 11
  19. Azurite

Azurite Just Floating

From what I understand, 'on moderation' means another mod has to read their posts and hit approve for them to appear on the forum.

• Like x 3
  20. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

it means that seebs' posts need to be approved by a mod, just like it is for everyone else on moderation

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice