user on post moderation

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 8, 2017.

1. devian

devian Well-Known Member

It may be useful to note this somewhere? I have no idea where would appropriate, but I feel like it might be helpful to have it explicitly stated somewhere easily visible that emotional arguments are considered valid and relevant in discussions here. Because like Codeless said, some people are used to the exact opposite, and it can be hard to shift gears.

Yes, this was the actual argument I was trying to make, but doing a poor job of. I am glad it's more clear now and we are in agreement that it would be bad.

(Basically assume traumatic experience with a real life version of that with with real life Punishments, add a history of being told emotional arguments are invalid because they're emotional, and a sizeable dose of alexithymia, and you will arrive at the emotional state I was at while trying to argue the point. It is very hard to argue well in that state.)

Really in general, I think if someone is making a poor logical argument for something, it is entirely possible that they actually want to make an emotional argument, but are either unable to do so or think they'll be shamed for doing so. And they may or may not be aware that's what's happening. I am not sure how to actually address this (other than by telling people that emotional arguments are valid here), but it is a thing that happens.

This is genuinely fairly reassuring to hear, thank you.

• Like x 3
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

You have a good point that sometimes bad arguments may be a proxy for reasonably defensible strong feelings.

• Like x 6
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Nope!
    Amusing: I have a wonderful example of my own experience but I am hesitant to use it for fear of opening the can of vent thread worms. I opinion on that is definitely emotionally formed.

4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

it's worth bringing up and talking about, probably, possibly not in this thread.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice