vent thread tagging

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 8, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Since we've now had at least a couple of conflicts which involved ambiguity about "vent threads", and I think the problem is more "not knowing which are which" rather than anything else, I've experimentally added a thread prefix thing called "Vent" which can be applied to threads somehow. I don't actually entirely know how. This exists only in Brainbent/Holler Closet.

• Like x 5
  2. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

@ anyone who already has a vent thread and wants to do the thing: you can apply it by editing the title of your thread and picking 'vent' in the drop-down menu before the title itself. Screenshot (14).png

• Like x 7
  3. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

the only issue is that it looks glaring and ugly

4. seebs

I thought about trying to make it less glaring, but that was the only red, and the less-glaring things were more inclined to blend in and not be visible.

5. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

it does make it rather difficult on the eyes, however. shame there wasn't a nice purple or green you could use, keeping with at least one of the site's aesthetics

• Like x 1
  6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

If anyone is unable to edit their own thread for whatever reason, please "report" the thread and say in the report box that you'd like a tag added and I'll do it.

(these instructions are for OP's only, please do not report other people's threads asking for tags to be added)

• Like x 2
  7. seebs

yeah, i see the issue, and there's other colors i could probably use, but then we get into the thing where i've also seen at least one "yay i like how it is red" post.

blah. aesthetics.

8. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

There could be a poll for color. Go with the majority or something?

Edit: I hope it isn't vaguing or bad to say that I've already seen at least one post talking about how it's painful to those with red/green visual issues (I think this is drawing attention to an actual issue, so it's alright to say, right? I'll remove this if the person says it isn't okay).

So I think red might be a bad idea.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Like x 3
  9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

One issue is that the red is making some people sick/queasy cause colorblindness issues. A white should show up nicely on both forum looks if available.

• Like x 6
  10. Petra

Petra space case

The vent thread tagging hurts my head. Why not just include vent in the title?

• Like x 1
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

red, to me, conveys the sense of warning that seebs was going for. that vent threads are sensitive places where people are often feeling explosive and saying things that they might not mean.

12. Paradigm Shift

It does this for me too, but I'm worried about what it might do to people with sensory issues who can barely even stand to look at those colors.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Like x 6
  13. Petra

Petra space case

Yes, and having the vent tags unevenly applied sets off some of my sorting issues. Since applying them to every vent thread would not be good for ppl with sensory issues, idk what the solution would be.

• Like x 1
  14. Paradigm Shift

I kind of feel like what set off this change in the first place was one thread that was essentially a vent thread but didn't have Vent in the title, which I'm ultimately unsure this solves anything on, because it's still something people would have to toggle/put in there for it to matter.

• Like x 3
  15. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

I'd say just add Vent Thread as a tag, if it's not in the title tbh. same purpose, you just have to scroll up to confirm then.

• Like x 3
  16. Petra

Petra space case

Not as a button, I think.

17. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

The tagging thing feels too obligatory to me. Like I feel obligated to add the tag there so that people don't come in and start picking apart what I'm saying and why I'm saying it, but the obvious-ness of the tag feels like it'd draw too much attention to my freaking out than I'd like.

I think a much better solution would be clarifying the purposes of brainbent and the holler closet in their descriptions.

• Like x 3
  18. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

What, like format the title of the thread to be "[VENT] whatever the title is" instead?

19. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

So I've been forced to adblock those buttons due to the fact that they literally make this site unusable for me. Reds in that shade, and some greens, make me physically ill. It makes my eyes hurt, it makes my head hurt, it makes me nauseated, and it tends to trigger a whole myriad of other symptoms. This is due to how my particular red-green colorblindness functions along with my brain damage.

Beyond this, aesthetically it's ugly as sin. A white button would be acceptable but even then it would be 10x easier to just say: "Hey! If you want a thread to be a vent thread type VENT in the title! If you don't it's just an open thread!" Because forum buttons are fucking ugly and if you've got your vent thread tagged with the button someone can just click the button and they have a beautiful list of every thread that has the vent button on it.

Mostly I hate it because now I feel like I want to die and today was supposed to be a good day but whatever

• Like x 7
  20. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

We'd need to figure out what those purposes are, first. A lot of us use those forums for vent threads, but I'm not sure it's their sole purpose. It definitely wasn't the original.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice