vent thread tagging

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

Brainbent= I have a brain issue, can you help me? We have brain issues let's talk about them!
    Holler Closet= SCREAM

That's what I understood it to be, but apparently Brainbent also houses Vents?

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I'm a "yay" vote, and I like it because its glaring-ness serves a purpose to me. But that purpose can be solved in other ways, not at the expense of some of the sensory issues being described here. Please feel free to disregard my vote in favor of any other workable solution people propose.

3. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I gathered that, yeah. And right now I don't see a difference between the two as they stand, considering vent threads spill over into both, but the holler closet has nothing but. What does brainbent have in it that would justify having it's own board rather than those threads going into ITA or braaaaains?

@Mendacity I hope you're doing okay, man. Is there anything I can do to help?

4. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I will admit to being very confused as to why a vent thread would be made at all on a forum in the first place unless interaction and attention is desired, because otherwise why would you not just...keep a diary, or have a password locked blog?

• Like x 1
  5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Brainbent originally housed brain issue threads And vents, and then holler closet was made for unsearchable place to put your vents.

• Like x 2
  6. Mendacity

Mendacity I’m meaner than my demons

Yeah with it blocked and a tylenol in my system I should be fine eventually

Can't do that, doesn't help. If I don't feel like people could see my screaming it doesn't 'release' it.

• Like x 6
  7. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I didn't mean to say "I don't want attention at all" I meant more "this might draw more attention to me than I want/need because of the glaring title, rather than attention coming from people who may be genuinely concerned and able to engage"

8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Sometimes you want smypathy type attention, or just witnessing type attention. feeling heard.
    As opposed to a discussion thread where you wanna discuss.

• Like x 5
  9. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Hm, okay. But if you specifically don't want people to interact with it, then...what's the point?
    This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I'm just super confused in general because gah.
    I have additional confusion when talking about other users happens in vent threads too, and basically the existence of vent threads in general hurt my brain even when I have my own thread in the braaaaaaains subforum, although that's more of an open diary of my recovery journey where venting sometimes happens as opposed to it being the purpose, so
    subcultures are weird and hard for me to understand sometimes

• Like x 1
  10. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

There's something different about writing words that only oneself will see, and writing words that others will see. And often it makes a difference in thinking about those words, and what's being said. Kinda like testing whether a letter or essay reads well by reading it aloud.

eta

For what it's worth, I also have a journal, and I usually send my ventiest vents to myself via pm to one of my subaccounts. My vent thread is less vent and more thinking aloud where others might add comments, but not argument or yelling-type conflict. Those might be inspired by the thread's contents, but they're unwelcome derails to go elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Like x 4
  11. Petra

Petra space case

I mean, sometimes it's nice to have people interact with them, too, but in a space you have more control over.

12. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

So people can see my misery.

13. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

It's the knowing people are there and reading it, even if they aren't/you don't want them responding, that you don't get from something locked down and private.

edit: ninja'd

14. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

As far as the color issue goes I think the red is fucking ugly and I want it gone.

• Like x 7
  15. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident POTSie potato.

in my case.. screaming in words where people can choose to look or not because i'm tired of being completely silent irl.
    but i'm not MAKING anyone look at me. they're choosing to do so.
    it's also so if someone sees warning signs or something going wrong they can say something or maybe even help me
    because i can't ask people for help even if it's when i'm in a dangerous situation, because terror of "what if I'm inconveniencing them".
    if they come on their own, not on me anymore, brainbugs are quieter.

• Like x 4
  16. AbsenteeLandLady124

AbsenteeLandLady124 Well-Known Member

I don't wanna derail anymore and agree that the red is hideous. The front not having a black border makes it very hard to read as well. You can put white text on any colour so long as it has a black border but without one it's a strain a lot of the time.

ETA
    whoops meant to put this on my main, subaccounts are hard, everything is hard x3

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  17. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

I like being able to filter out vent threads, so I like the tag existing, but I think that the presence of the thing itself is noticeable enough. The way the color clashes with the rest of the site isn't super necessary in my opinion.

• Like x 1
  18. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

Can it be the same colors as the "Post Reply" button on the bottom of the screen? I realize it wouldn't stand out overmuch but I think the background would make it noticeable enough, and it blends nicely.

• Like x 2
  19. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

Adding my opinion that the red is jarring and unsettling and also makes me feel kinda queasy for some reason even though I'm not color blind.

• Like x 1
  20. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

question: is tagging a thread as "vent thread" now insufficient?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice