"Vent Threads" and the Community

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Beldaran, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Once Seebs has something written up, it seems reasonable to assume that people will follow that guideline?

I genuinely don't think we've had a serious problem with people straight up NOT following established guidelines. If that becomes a thing, then that'll be a more serious issue.

If it's simply people not knowing, I assume that gently directing people at the written guideline would be sufficient if a mod wasn't present to do it themself.

2. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Nah.

• Like x 4
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

We have had some small problem with people not following guidelines, but pretty isolated, and in the most visible cases, the users asked for a moderation queue to slow them down when they're freaking out.

I'm probably not gonna write the thing tonight, though.

• Like x 3
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I think the intended communication was "if you want to discuss this significantly different issue, start a new thread", and that seems like actually sort of a good idea, because the debate about whether or not we have rules, and what they are, is a huge and complicated topic which would probably merit its own thread. I don't think it would be useful to try to hash it out here.

• Like x 4
  5. Beldaran

Please feel free to refrain from making as many threads as you like.

• Like x 16
  6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Okay, I laughed.

• Like x 7
  7. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

WOW... read the entire thread*... have read vent threads in the past.... and I can just say that I think the guidelines are fair. Seebs do you agree? Community do you agree? Any objections?

• Like x 1
  8. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Yes, I agree, and it's also something we've seen blow up more than a few times, which is actually why I'm asking. At what point does it cross from a helpful check-in of "hey, step back" and into "ur wrong grr"?

This is kind of a sticky issue to wrap my brain around, and having more thoughts on how we can proceed and help keep vent threads usable with their original intention is also a key question?

*nod* I suppose the reason I'm having this as a mental sticking point is because being able to reinforce boundaries would be useful, and I find a second voice saying "these words are a boundary being put up" can make me key into it better than if I'm seeing something as a personal attack... if that makes sense? ( Which is maybe more relevant in vent threads, as they're somewhat more personal than other threads. )

But affirmation on the first point being a good go-to is good.

Perhaps I'm harping on something already understood as an issue, though? ( I likely am. )

I do think the "if an argument is wanted, don't do it in a vent thread" is very, very much a good thing to have, and encouraging clashes to go to argument island instead is, again. A+

...fuck.

Would someone stepping in and linking to the boundary establishment island forum instead of saying "boundaries" be better? *-*

*argument island

I.. would that be an acceptable alternative than trying to say "hey, boundaries, get out?"

( above assuming mods are asleep and/or participants are in meltdown and may need "hey. You know what a good place for this argument to go instead of this thread is?")

• Like x 1
  9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

In the abstract, this may be correct. In the context of the same phrase being used twice to assert control over the discussion in the thread, I read it as, "I have the conch".

• Like x 8
  10. swirlingflight

I think we're by and large in agreement that they're a good set of policies that address most concerns. A few of us are still going "umm but I know I can't promise that I'd be able to do Step 2 when I'm in that mental state, troubleshoot please?"

• Like x 1
  11. swirlingflight

If I ever make a second venting thread, I know what I'm naming it.

• Like x 8
  12. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Since I may no longer make new threads, I have to host my Tiki party in this one.

tiki-totems.jpg

• Like x 8
  13. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

Absolutely, with caveats of "need to see what is okay in terms of outside deescalation if needed".

Which...

Well
    1) message mods to step in
    2) possibly try and have involved parties step back, do self care, and/or direct link to argument island forum?

• Like x 1
  14. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I have been very explicitly avoiding this thread and as far as I'm concerned I am currently in the process of leaving the forums; today is my last day here as I've already messaged people I want to maintain contact with about what I'm doing, made a thread about leaving, made thread apologizing, and unwatched every other thread I was watching but this one. but I feel a need to respond to this, so here it is.
    1. I'm autistic. I didn't really get that Onna wanted me to leave until she outright posted something along the lines of "leave my thread"; I thought that her previous comment, of which there was only one of its kind, was a suggestion of "if you don't like it you can leave", not "please leave".
    2. I was yelled at unfairly for making a mistake and words were put in my mouth. I don't appreciate this kind of thing and feel I am owed some level of civility as a person and human being. I felt a need to respond to these things. I left immediately when Onna made it explicitly clear she did not want me there and then I was called awful. I'm upset over several things in this situation and everyone is acting like I am the only one in the wrong and I don't enjoy it.
    3. I took the thing out of the vent thread in the first place because I felt it was relevant. I didn't realize there was some kind of 'don't take things out of vent threads, ever' protocol.
    4. I've already apologized for this.
    5. I'm leaving the forum, so there's really no point in continuing to discuss this because no one needs to worry about me, the obvious problem, doing anything of this sort ever again!
    in conclusion: thank you and goodbye!

• Like x 4
  15. Beldaran

@rigorist Threads have topics. If you want to discuss the idea of threads just not having topics and anyone being free to say anything then you should feel free to make a thread about that. ;p

• Like x 2
  16. swirlingflight

People worry about you because they are people and you are people and they are fond of you.

While that thread was the most recent and prominent example, there is still a need for us to discuss the question of dogpiling vs peekaboo vs some kind and sensible alternative to those.

• Like x 3
  17. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

*smashes the conch*

• Like x 5
  18. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I'm not sure what the point of this comment is. literally no one here is worried about me. everyone is worried about Onna.

19. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

You're welcome to my tiki party.

• Like x 4
  20. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

So which of us is Piggy?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice