1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please read this thread and this PSA.
    Dismiss Notice

Voldemort McTeenyHands' Roller Coaster Train Wreck

Discussion in 'Up the People' started by kmoss, Sep 26, 2016.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

yeah I meant it when I said I was out of this thread for a while, but I came back because of the exact thing @KarrinBlue just mentioned
    and hey have this article while I'm here

also, before I return to a private screaming hole and ignore this thread again, if I call a House representative in my country who doesn't represent the district I live in, does it really matter to them what I say? because at least one Washington House rep is against net neutrality and for the horrendous tax bullshit, and I keep wondering if calling her would do anything.

• Informative x 1
  2. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Probably not, unfortunately. If it'd be relatively spoon-free it might not hurt, but it's probably not worth the spoons otherwise.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. warehawker

warehawker Raptor King Of Kiss My Ass

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

Photo on 12-5-17 at 8.40 PM.jpg Photo on 12-5-17 at 8.41 PM.jpg

• Winner x 5
  5. Technicality

(btw there are a bunch of net neutrality protests on Thursday and you should attend them if you can!)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Not by coincidence, Bears Ears was an Obama designation and Grand Staircase was a Clinton designation. :/

• Informative x 8
  7. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Someone's probably yelled about this already, but jegus fuck, Trump is trying to move the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Because, y'know, why not fuck up as much shit as he can in one go, right?

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 1
  8. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap (she punch things when it doesn't work)

Now going to petition my government to move their embassy to the actual capital of the US, Moscow.

• Winner x 14
  9. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Am... Am I the only one with Jewish heritage who's just looking at this and thinking 'on second thought, we don't want the place if it's from him, please give it back to Palestine'?

• Witnessed x 4
  10. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

If that's what it takes to convince you, I'll take it?

11. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

The Head Judge of the 9th circuit has sexual harassment accusations flying at him now. While it's always good for another harasser to go down, I'm concerned about the ramifications destabilizing him could have for the legal system. The 9th Circuit has been the most prolific in challenging Trump's oftentimes unconstitutional and almost universally despicable orders, and the conservatives want very badly to dismantle it. I don't think this is faked or anything, to be clear, but I'm worried about how much the Republicans might sink their hands into the workings of the rest of the Circuit with their amazing ability to point out when anyone else does something wrong but be ignorant to their own wrongdoings.

• Witnessed x 12
  12. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

I mean, I also didn't think the situation with Israel and Palestine was right or good prior to this either, but my position is more or less 'this is a horribly messed-up situation that has been going on for much longer than I've been alive, and while something clearly needs to change in order to help all the people who are suffering because of it, as a random American kid with no real knowledge of what the situation is really like or any of the complex history involved I am clearly not qualified to figure out what the thing that needs to be done is'.

Like, that post was very much not a serious statement of my exact view of the political situation, and obviously if for some ungodly reason any other president had done that it would still be just as wrong, because the situation was already fucked-up and wrong and now it's worse. It was intended as a mildly flippant way of expressing my kneejerk emotional reaction to anything involving Trump, which is horrified disgust, and maybe coping with aforementioned horrified disgust via humor. Possibly also to some degree pointing out that this isn't Trump favoring Jewish people over Muslims, we didn't want this and it's almost certainly going to screw a lot of us over too, it's just him being a thoughtless asshole with way too much power again.

...Sorry for the tldr. I guess my point is I was already convinced, this is just extra upsetting.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    • Witnessed x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  13. Ipuntya

Ipuntya a whiny whiny whiny cowardly turtle

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. Rakukaja

Rakukaja google murray bookchin

Good news: Alabama elected a pro-choice Dem.
    Bad news: It was an extremely close race, despite his opponent being an honest-to-god child molester.

• Witnessed x 16
    • Agree x 6
    • Informative x 1
  15. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

If I remember the statistics I saw, Jones won by less than 1% of the vote. 1.6% of the vote went to write-in candidates, and a few Republicans had been championing various write-ins instead of Moore. Chances are good if they hadn't sabotaged themselves, Moore still might have won. I can't express how disturbed that makes me.

• Agree x 11
    • Informative x 2
  16. rje

rje gone fishin'

it's really hard to describe how almost ... desperately tribal conservative southerners treat politics unless you've lived there but...I'm legitimately not surprised. Better a child molester than a Democrat. Better a womanizer than a Democrat, a homophobe than a Democrat, a gatdamned out and out KKK Grand Dragon than a godless heathen liberal Democrat. It's so fucked up and I will never understand why, but...it's always been a thing, it's just really OBVIOUS now instead of secretive like it used to be, Trump gave these people the OK to not hide the rot anymore. Besides, the bad things they say about 'our' Republican men are all liberal media lies anyway

That said, I am so happy Doug Jones won, and I hope this lights a fire in the hearts of every non-Republican in the state (and some that are but willing to listen) because it is so, so, so easy to just be depressed and lose all hope being a blue dot in a red sea. We have the votes, in so, so many place,s if we can just get people to the polls... get them to believe we can do it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 11:08 PM
    • Agree x 15
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  17. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

On the upside of things for once, Alabama’s seat - the one Doug Jones is currently occupying - was originally won by Jeff Sessions in 2014. He originally ran unopposed, both in the Republican primary and the general election; his only opponent was a Democratic write-in.

By beating Roy Moore, Democrats have turned that on its head - the unnavigable quagmire of Alabama in 2014 was just won in 2017, even if it’s only by a narrow margin.

Furthermore, with only a 51% majority, all it will take to stop Republican motions now is two Republican Senators defecting towards a united Democratic front. Like, say, Collins and Murkowski.

Lastly, Moore is currently demanding a recount, but is unlikely to get that. Alabama typically only does recounts for votes 0.5% or closer, and unfortunately for him, Jones has won by at least 0.7% according to current polling. State officials are standing strong on their rules and not conceding for once, and good on them for it. My expectations for Republicans were for them to always give unrestrained preferential treatment to their own party.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 11:35 PM
    • Agree x 9
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 3
  18. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Well, recount-wise, it doesn't hurt that the Secretary of State (or perhaps the Deputy Secretary) isn't interested in meeting with Moore at all... or that digital vote records weren't kept due to earlier GOP tomfoolery. The odds of a recount are minuscule, especially because the final call had Jones at closer to 1.5% up on Moore.

And, I mean, sure, that it was ever that close is depressing, and so on, but still. Alabama voting went blue, and one of the Trumpiest states chose against the Trumpiest candidate for the Senate. I'm feeling hopeful for 2018, and 2020 beyond that.

edit: have seen variations on the final call, including some closer to 0.8%. It's still out of mandatory counting, and it sounds like the Republican officials on the ground in Alabama (who have the most to lose from Moore driving people away from their state, I imagine) aren't inclined to give him a chance at changing that.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM
    • Agree x 12
    • Informative x 1
  19. Technicality

Quoth the Democrat, "Never Moore."

• Winner x 16
    • Agree x 2
  20. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I would really like to know what the breakdown is for "didn't hear the allegations", "didn't believe them", "didn't care".

• Agree x 12