Voldemort McTeenyHands' Roller Coaster Train Wreck

Discussion in 'Up the People' started by kmoss, Sep 26, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I think most of the media coverage has been focusing on the raise since that's easier to explain than the whole PEIA snarl, but having spent my last few work days going through literally hundreds of emails from teachers, I can safely say firsthand that at least the ones writing to my boss are as or more worried about insurance.

• Informative x 4
  2. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

Utah state legislature is attempting to rename a highway to the Donald J. Trump Utah National Parks Highway.
    Democrats have responded by saying they will name the ramp leading into the highway the "Stormy Daniels rampway."

• Informative x 13
    • Winner x 3
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Have I mentioned recently that I love my wordreplace?

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 1
  4. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I've been homeschooling my little brother all during the strike, and while i totally support the teachers, i am so VERY glad he's going back to school tomorrow

my boss is being a dick and since I'm not working for two weeks I'm finding a different job. so getting my calm mornings back while my mom is off at work and he's at school is very, very much appreciated. I'm going to sit. and rest. and drink LOTS of tea

• Witnessed x 8
    • Like x 7
  5. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

So apparently Trump just complained that Germany isn't spending more money on our military and

...does anyone wanna tell him about that thing with WW2 and getting demilitarized in the aftermath? Just

The president of the United States complains that Germany doesn't have enough military spending. This is a new low of stupid.

• Witnessed x 17
    • Agree x 2
  6. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

It was more-or-less formally undemilitarized in the 1950s, what with East Germany and the Soviet Union being... a thing. But it now has a smaller military than Japan, which is still technically demilitarized. It is also spending less than the NATO target of 2% GDP (compared to the US with ~6%)
    There's an argument to be made that the EU nations don't spend enough on their own military, because they expect the United States to spend it for them, because... well, historically it has. We are effectively subsidizing their defense, and if the US were to significantly reduce its own military, that would have to be accompanied by a commensurate increase in EU expenditures, if NATO is to maintain the same level of readiness. And NATO maintaining the same level of readiness is a good idea since, y'know, Russia.

• Informative x 4
  7. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

You are aware that historically, we werent supposed to have a military except for self defense? And that we had right wing dingbats in our govermenment very recently/still have them? And by right wing I mean as bad as 45 or worse.
    The EU as a whole is one thing, but if Germany started stocking up on the military 1) All hell would break loose and 2) that would not actually be a good thing in any way whatsoever. I don´t want the AfD to have more of a military, because of our government they´re the ones who would want one. The neo nazis.

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. TheOwlet

I'm aware. I'm German. Every single thing Codeless said still applies.
    For extremely obvious historical reasons, the rest of the world would have the screaming ninnies if Germany decided to up on military spending. Never mind that good luck selling that to the German public, who is again, for extremely obvious historical reasons, not happy about getting involved in armed conflict that's not self defense, aside from the right wing nutjobs who really, really REALLY don't need to be given any more things that they want.

Outside of these people, even the most conservative parties in Germany would only argue for 'better maintenance of the military we have' in so far as to make sure that they have like functioning equipment, but that's about it.
    Especially considering recent scandals from that very direction, uncovering neo-nazis embeded in the military we have, one of them famously hatching and preparing to execute a plan for a terrorist attack that was supposed to be blamed onto refugees. He even had a fake syrian passport and all that bullshit.

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 4
  9. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm literally Mulder.

• Informative x 1
  10. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Video games and music are clearly bad influences. 100% of people who bought the last Wu Tang Clan album are now in jail. 100%. That can't be a coincidence.

• Winner x 16
  11. Verily

Verily invests her cash in stock in Cyber Disney

I never thought the bad influence of those Wu Tang Clan lyrics would manifest itself as several counts of securities fraud.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap I'm a raging bird

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

14. TheOwlet

How much staff does he have left?? Between the firing and quitting I feel like he should run out soon?

• Agree x 10
  15. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

Tillerson's getting replaced by Mike Pompeo, the CIA Director and a complete and total yes man. In turn, Pompeo's current position is slated to be filled by Gina Haspel - the first female CIA Director! Hooray!---Except she oversaw the torture of two terrorist suspects in Thailand and destroyed incriminating evidence documenting the torture. Oh.

So here's the thing with Cabinet officials. They need to be confirmed by the Senate. It's 49-51 and McCain is out, making it 49-50. Democrats have been much more united on obstructing since the beginning of the Trump administration. And even then, a lot of the Cabinets had a really rocky time to get there. Secretary of State is especially a position that the Senate feels strongly about. Bob Corker broke with Trump specifically on Secretary of State. Pompeo as SoS and Haspel as CIA Director both needs Senate confirmation.

Given Republicans' track record with this administration it's a rocky road ahead, but we might get lucky yet.

• Informative x 9
    • Like x 1
  16. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

Weirdly enough, if memory serves, the majority of his Cabinet remains. The Trump administration hemorrhages people but the majority of them were in less official positions or ones nobody knew what to do with, like Omorosa in her position as Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison, which in practice seemed to translate to "I have no fucking idea what you're doing."

Here's a link detailing the lost members thus far though!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm literally Mulder.

• Witnessed x 2
  18. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

Next in line is Deputy SoS John Sullivan. After him is Under SoS for Political Affairs Tom Shannon....who said he would quit when his successor is chosen.

19. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

upload_2018-3-13_18-24-47.png
    Wow. What a coinkidink.
    [Source]

• Informative x 5
    • Agree x 3
  20. Glassware

Glassware Well-Known Member

Weirdly, if McCain were still there I would give good odds on Haspel not being confirmed. McCain hates torture, because he underwent torture during his time as a POW. He rightly believes it to be both a moral failing and completely useless for extracting information.

Also, wasn't there a rumor that Tillerson, Mattis and Kelly had made some kind of "suicide pact" where they'd all resign if one was fired?

• Informative x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice