1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

Voldemort McTeenyHands' Roller Coaster Train Wreck

Discussion in 'Up the People' started by kmoss, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Honestly, I hope the stress shaved a few years off his life expectancy.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    • Agree x 15
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Part of the benefit of things like that is massively increasing the number of races Republicans have to spread their funds over... precisely at a time when they're having a harder time raising funds competitively because so many of the traditional donors and supporters are mad at them.

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 5
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap I'm a raging bird

So, Sessions just got fired. People are thinking it's related to Mueller, who's probably not getting fired but there's speculation that budget and cooperation will be reduced to a minimum.

• Informative x 5
    • Witnessed x 2
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Well things just got interesting.

• Agree x 4
  5. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

I've got so much to unpack about how badly Joe Donnelly (D) threw the Indiana Senate race to Mike Braun (R) by trying to win over #MAGA-style Republicans instead of focusing on an incentivized Democratic base...His entire ad campaign over here was almost universally aimed at ensuring people that he supported Trump, thought I.C.E. was cool beans, and a whole bunch of other choice things that Republicans usually say.

Granted, this guy was the most conservative Democrat in the Senate short of Manchin (Donnelly was rated more right-wing than Susan Collins, an actual Republican), but I'm not sure how he thought that strategy was going to buoy him to victory this year when old Cheeto came out to personally endorse Braun and a whole bunch of other shit.

You can't buddy up with your enemy and ignore your friend. Donnelly learned that the hard way this year when he lost by about 8%, with the Lib candidate picking up 4% of the vote. It was a repeat of the stay at home feeling from 2016; Democrats were split on bothering with electing a Democrat when both candidates looked like some variety of Republican. You should've seen his ad campaigns - the guy ran so right-wing that I actually had to look up who the Democrat was after seeing over a month or two of his campaign material, and I follow politics avidly.

What a fucking joke. Braun got handed this election on a silver platter.

• Witnessed x 15
  6. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

upload_2018-11-7_22-22-4.png
    Oh, yay.

• Witnessed x 10
  7. Jove

Jove RETURN THE SLAB

Late to the party, but this in particular I wanted to respond to-- the House of Representatives is actually the really important part here because of their power of oversight. I'm not saying the senate isn't important, but compared to the power of oversight, that's a small potatoes loss in the long run. Plus, there's been large victories on more local levels for things getting better, including Democrats taking seven normally key Republican governorships.

There's hope yet.

• Agree x 8
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  8. Jove

Jove RETURN THE SLAB

Adding: that also includes making sure Mueller is protected and well funded in spite of attempts to squash him.

• Informative x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Useful x 1
  9. Jove

Jove RETURN THE SLAB

What's this? A triple threat post? I'm kidding. So, here, have this to effectively and generally explain why committees are important, and not just for their oversight, and why it's extremely important to have a democratic lead.

EDIT: Actially, just watch the whole series on this, it's very good.

• Informative x 5
  10. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

...wait, fuck, I think I had a bet going about the midterm results. I gotta check and see if I owe people money, now.

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  11. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

so what's stopping Dorito Mussolini from just folding his arms and waiting out the massive protests scheduled for tomorrow? They can't actually force him to do anything, and he and his cronies have never given a shit about the will of the people before so why should he start now?

I'm scared and sad :(

• Witnessed x 1
  12. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

it matters on account of, one, 45 is incapable of just folding his tiny-handed arms and waiting out anything

and two. he is not the only one whose opinion matters. other people can be swayed by showing up in force.

• Agree x 12
  13. Kathy Jones

Kathy Jones Well-Known Member

wait, what happened?

14. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Sessions resigned, not actually fired - freeing up Trump to install whoever the fuck he wanted as AG, instead of Rosenstein taking the post.

Now Rosenstein has been cut completely out of the loop, and this Whitaker guy trump has installed is all about squashing the Mueller investigation by defunding it.

The moveon rapid-response protest is GO for 5pm Thu in the US.

• Informative x 8
  15. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

• Winner x 5
  16. palindromordnilap

5PM seems to be too early for some people I know, they either get out of work at that point or still have classes. That might be a problem for numbers.

17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

18. palindromordnilap

• Winner x 9
  19. Glassware

Glassware Well-Known Member

There's also the problem of, well...it's Jeff Sessions. Protecting the Mueller investigation by recusing himself was literally the only decent thing he's ever done in his life. Getting liberals to protest him being fired, even though the motivation is blatantly corrupt, is sure to depress turnout.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

The way I've seen it framed was less about sessions and more about Trump picking a guy to replace him who specifically had talked about wanting to kill the investigation, which is a bit easier to swallow

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice