1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

Voldemort McTeenyHands' Roller Coaster Train Wreck

Discussion in 'Up the People' started by kmoss, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

I'd also wager that they were being careful just in case dude had some private bodyguards or what have you. Likely was low but you know it just takes one of this assholes to think their that much more above the law then they already think they are.

• Agree x 6
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash absentee sperglord

yeah, if it was just a couple low level officers, i wouldn't put it past these folks to just go "nope i'm not arrested, go away," and try to breeze past them. which could end up creating a clusterfuck. better safe than sorry.

• Agree x 4
  3. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

You might be surprised how much 'nothing more than a gofer' might overhear. Of course, Trump also might be surprised that other people exist at all, so...

Nor does the bit where they have a bad habit of not paying people who work for them.

My understanding is that the night raid was done in part because there was a concern that he might attempt to flee the country, or at least destroy evidence.
    But the idea that it was in any way comparable to the Bin Laden raid (an airborne black ops in hostile territory) or the arrest of El Chapo (which involved, I kid you not, a running battle with forty assassins and two armored cars)... is kind of hilarious in its fractal wrongness.

A dirty little secret of US policing is that a lot of SWAT teams are just... whichever officers volunteer for the job. But that's mostly the case in smaller cities, probably not so much for the FBI.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

yeah, and that ends up a lot of the reason why SWAT teams fuck up. because they're full of the officers who want to put on semi-military uniforms, carry big guns, yell a lot and break down doors. Not the ones who have good judgment.

• Agree x 4
  5. jacktrash

• Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

that picture made my lose my mind laughing holy shit

• Agree x 3
  7. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants *cries in sports*

I found out today that this has become even more of a soap opera than before and I'm boggling at it so hard I absolutely need to share so everyone else can wtf with me.

Apparently - and I only learned about this today - Jeff Bezos had an affair and the National Enquirer published a huge spread on it including some things from text messages between him and the woman he cheated with. Which, whatever, standard billionaire horseshit, except that, unbeknownst to me, Bezos runs the Washington Post, and the National Enquirer has been heavily investigated as part of the Russia-Trump investigation. So it's come out that this is probably politically motivated and the brother of the mistress may be involved in the Trump campaign - we know the former because the National Enquirer threatened to release Bezos' dick pics if he didn't state that he and WP had no information on the politics of the parent company. Apparently the Washington Post has reported on the National Enquirer's position in the investigation. So Bezos just published the NE's blackmailing letters in full. (source one, source two)

I don't like either of the parties involved here but, like, what the hell.

• Agree x 10
    • Informative x 4
  8. hyrax

hyrax had a handle on my life, but i broke it

[​IMG]

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 3
  9. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

upload_2019-2-9_14-43-20.png

• Winner x 11
  10. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

...so....it's the 11th
    any thoughts on the likelihood of another government shutdown on the 15th

• Witnessed x 3
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

It seems they did reach a deal... With wall funding. Because Democrats are spineless.

12. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

News is saying probably not. But then, they're talking to Congress. And it's an actual compromise, meaning that Trump isn't getting everything he wanted. If Fox talking heads convince the president to veto another deal...

(On the other hand, the number of times McConnell is willing to be screwed in that way before overriding the veto is surely finite.)

13. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

What is the compromise they got?

14. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

• Informative x 4
  15. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

They're reportedly offering less money than they were offering in the initial compromise to prevent a government shutdown. This whole thing's still a slap in Trump's face.

• Agree x 3
  16. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

I would rather them not give him any money for his ducking wall, but I also would rather not see the government shutdown again):

• Agree x 10
    • Witnessed x 1
  17. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

As far as I know, they approved 1.3 billion dollars for 'fencing' along 55 miles of border. In return for that, government contractors and employees are not going to be homeless and starving in the next month, so.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

• Witnessed x 6
  19. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

notable: they phrased it as "1.375 (or 1.4) billion for 88 km of border".......
    edit: yes, this could be a coincidence, but this is the second (at least) time that this number has come up wrt the US-Mexico border and fool me once

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    • Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 1
  20. jacktrash

frankly, with genuine fascists infesting DC like termites, i go all high plains drifter squint whenever i see the number 88 in any political context.

• Agree x 15
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice