Vent Walk-in freezer (general-purpose vent thread)

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by seebs, Jun 1, 2016.

1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

this is going to sound intensely morbid, but it's A Thing That Happens Sometimes and. All of your neighbors are accounted for, right? Nobody's been missing a few days?

• Agree x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Hehe, no, it's not that. I had a maggot infestation under my oven because I hadn't realised there was a space there that grease was dripping into. I cleaned under there and killed all the bugs there, but they appear to have spread.

• Informative x 1
  3. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

At least the sink is fixed now.

• Like x 1
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Flies are still coming. At least two of the pest control companies in the area won't deal with flies even though their websites clearly say they do. One of three I can find which will deal with flies won't do the job for under £200, another got back to me and said he was too busy, and another won't get back to me at all.

ETA: I caught the third guy on the phone and he refuses to help because he says there "must be damp" somewhere which is attracting them so bug-bombing won't work. He won't help me find where they're coming from and I don't know who will.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Witnessed x 2
  6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

If the pest people are insisting that damp is causing the problem, then your best bet is to either prove or disprove the theory. Smaller damp-proofing companies often offer free surveys - a surveyor will come round, will ask where the problem is (in your case, sub-floor level?) and should use a hygrometer to test damp levels, and will also generate a written report within a few days.

If you are in social, council or private rented accommodation, then you can use this report to insist that the landlord deal with the problem since it is structural and outwith your responsibility as a tenant.

If there is no damp source, you can present the report to a pest control company when they try to fob you off with excuses.

N.B. was employed by a damp proofing company some years ago now and have a bit of knowledge, though am not an expert (except in negotiating hardware deals with suppliers, haha.)

• Useful x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, that's helpful. I've got my parents making the necessary calls because I broke down on the phone to the guy and can't trust myself to stay calm, so I'll send them this info.

8. versi2

versi2 ???????

you ever just feel nothing then suddenly feel so intensely sad you start crying then go right back to feeling nothing

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  9. kleric

kleric Member

i'm fucking LIVID i thought me and M had had our fights and were in a good solid mutual ignoring of each other, but apparently now other larp organizers don't want to take me on the team because i'm bad PR. like, that's been a thing, people asking on the forums for a hand in running a game and me offering and being politely rejected (mostly "already got a person but you can be an NPC?"). initially i was just 'aw, unlucky again', but after several occurrences it got suspicious. and now one GM i get better along with basically said that she'll be happy to have me but won't put me on the list of organizers until right before the game, because bad PR. because M has been telling people she does not like me. and M is popular and a Big Name Larper, and people who know her but not me think i'm an asshole (confirmed by that GM) and won't come to games i run (which is absolutely a thing, i've seen it before, people who M does not like running games and nobody going there except that person's own friends).

*pours one on the grave of my GMing career that died before it got to start*

• Witnessed x 9
  10. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I've been having massive fear spells of "oh god what if I've already pissed off so many people that I'm one mistake away from becoming a fandom pariah" and I. have no clue how to stop them or what to do about them. this sucks?? it sucks

• Witnessed x 3
  11. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Ok is 87f or 31c acceptable indoors temperature bc thats what my rooms been at the last few weeks because i dont have AC and I’m beginning to feel warm

• Witnessed x 2
  12. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

in my hometown, that was p common, we had AC but were under Strict Orders not to use it unless NECESSARY
    it does fucking suck and I don't know if it's the best situation...are fans an option? sometimes damping your shirt or something can help

• Informative x 1
  13. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

I have a small desktop fan and i have a water bottle i sometimes spray in the air but its still w a r m

It works well enough i suppose I’m just trying to scope out whats proper room temperature

14. versi2

versi2 ???????

we keep it at 70 but I don't think that's... normal...

the ac broke a little while ago and it got up above 80 and I felt like I was dying, so like, sorry dude :(

• Informative x 1
  15. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

People who run anime fandom cringe Twitters in 2018: Don't worry, we only go after people who deserve it! Like Nazis, stalker idol otakus, and autists! We're very progressive :^))))))))

• Witnessed x 2
  16. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

That's unpleasantly hot imo. What is generally considered 'room temperature' and what climate-controlled places go for is around 21-23 C.

If you are able to at all, open every door to the outside and every window you can in the mornings and evenings before the bugs come out in force, especially if there's any wind going, and prop every indoor door open. Since you're in Norway, your place is probably like mine in that it's built to keep warm air in, and so it heats up like an oven in unusually hot weather. Forcing airflow in the cooler parts of the day helps a lot.

• Useful x 1
  17. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Hmmm I shall ventilation

I’m in the attic so air circulation is kinda bad but it won’t hurt to open the window

• Like x 1
  18. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Things are going reasonably okay on my end of things lately so it's time to have graphic invasive thoughts about hanging myself next time husband isn't in town and wondering how long it would take for someone to notice I died and find my body while I'm in the middle of class hmmmmmhmmm nice

• Witnessed x 3
  19. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

ohhhh my god my roommate just asked me to clean the one dish i left out so she could use it and lectured me about washing the dishes like 'it's annoying when i have to wash it every day' i have used any shared dishes TWICE in this work week and i'm in the middle of my period and i forgot to take my antidepressants for like a week so my mood is absolute shit and going all over the place and i have put so much fucking effort into keeping my room cleaner and today was the first day this week that i had spoons to make a proper meal and i cleaned every single dish but the pan i made mac n chee in because it's a lot easier to clean if you let it soak and it was in the sink for two fucking hours jesus christ i know we have a small sink and not many pans, i offered to buy more pans and she's like 'oh no it's not that we just can't use the sink at all if there's any dishes in it' bitch it is one small saucepan, i have had smaller kitchens

i don't even mind her asking me to clean it. i am forgetful, i don't remember to clean dishes all the time, if it's going to annoy you to clean things for me, reminding me they are there and asking me to clean them is a totally legit thing to do. DON'T LECTURE ME ABOUT HOW IT'S NOT THAT MUCH EFFORT TO JUST CLEAN ALL YOUR DISHES BEFORE YOU EAT WHILE I CLEAN IT.

I just. am so not in the mental state to be lectured about being lazy and unkempt today. i have had brainworms yelling at me about that like several times daily for several weeks now.

• Witnessed x 7
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I intended to return a pair of shorts I bought from eBay which were several sizes smaller than listed, but the string of disasters I've been dealing with kept me from remembering to do it until after the due date and now I can't get my money back >:(

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice