What are your headcanon gripes?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Maya, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

we need more gripe threads to be salty in, clearly.

but no, seriously, what are your guys' headcanon gripes? character, universe, plot, whatever. i try really hard to be as "headcanon and let headcanon" as i am "ship and let ship" BUT SOME OF THEM ARE SO STUPID, STUPID.

okay but my main one is kinda rude but i hate when people take a canonically mentally ill character and either give them a totally contradictory illness on top of it, a different one and erase the canon one, or escalate it to "belongs in a bad horror movie" levels of severe and just ARGH >:(

• Like x 12
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

The difference between someone getting hurt in the past and dealing with the effects of it in the present, versus someone getting hurt in the past and turning into a fragile, vulnerable, spun glass broken bird the moment someone starts to get close to them. Like aughhhhhh, I love angst, but I can't wallow in it properly if you're going to toss someone's entire character out the window. You can balance negative (/any) character traits against old pain and still do justice to the pain. And oh my god, when someone is hurting and it doesn't overwrite their whole existing personality and make them into a personality-free empty shell, it's so much more interesting.

• Like x 15
    • Agree x 1
  3. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Headcanons to make characters into gender role stereotypes or racial stereotypes. Bonus points for not even understanding the stereotype properly.

• Like x 18
  4. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Obligatory mention of "This character is a trans woman because he wears a dress at some point" headcanons.

• Like x 19
    • Agree x 1
  5. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

turning traumatized or angry/violent characters (ESPECIALLY canonically traumatized characters who are also angry and violent) into uwu fluffy harmless babies who just need luv

• Like x 15
    • Agree x 1
  6. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

"This character is a trans man because he's small and feminine."

• Like x 17
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

This shit.

Fans insisting their headcanon is the only appropriate one and getting mad at people with different ones is another issue of mine.

Headcanons that show absolutely nothing in common with the character and the canon also tend to annoy me heavily. If it ceases to even resemble the character in question I fail to see the point and will avoid that person like the fucking plague.

• Like x 13
  8. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Wait, I'm not a homestuck, are you saying some people are basically saying that bisexuality is actually compulsory heterosexuality? :psyduck:

9. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

OKAY SO
    not only do "this guy is obviously transmasc because feminine" there is the demon corollary: this person is a trans man now and is therefore pathetic and weepy and a marshmallow.

THIS IS STEVE ROGERS THEY DO THIS TO

ALSO PRE SERUM STEVE ROGERS SOMEHOW NOT BEING A SCRAPPY PIECE OF SHIT.

• Like x 10
    • Witnessed x 1
  10. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

the majority of trolls are bisexual, to the point that homo and heterosexuality don't even register as concepts to them

imo, the only "compulsory" anything in troll culture would be the literal "fuck or die"--i don't really think they care who you're fucking as long as neither of you have unacceptable mutations

• Like x 9
  11. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Steve's pecs are wicked. Let Steve keep his wicked pecs.

• Like x 5
  12. peripheral

Would you like to hear my convoluted trans!Steve headcanon.

• Like x 3
  13. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

yuuuuup. and woe betide you if you attempt to bring the bisexual canon into humanstuck RPs—I had a Karkat bitch me out for my Eridan saying he was bi
    apparently bisexuality "isn't real"
    and it's "character development" to have Karkat think that

• Like x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

ABSOLUTELY

While I'm here I'll gripe: this is specific to the roleplay community but I hate when people headcanon a character as asexual because of the following reasons

1) they never had sex in canon
    which is usually owed to the fact they are
    a) underage for most of not all of the canon
    b) the canon is rated for children or simply doesn't have room for sexual themes besides innuendos
    c) a & b

2) they are personally uncomfortable roleplaying smut or fade-to-black
    which that one I can kinda get, because yadda yadda why assign a sexuality to a character who's not going to be having sex anyway? except, one, in the rp community at large, "-sexual" also means "-romantic" (we love our shorthand) and the majority of people assigning "asexual" to a character they dont wanna rp smut with are perfectly fine with fluff and romance, and also at the point of "this mun doesnt wanna rp smut" it may just be better at that point to completely rid your character bio of the sexuality field in general.

what the fuck

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  15. peripheral

OKAY SO
    My trans headcanon is that steve growing up poor and Irish and slowly dying in Brooklyn was so small and malnourished that he never really went through puberty (which was bad, see previous slowly dying of everything thing) and he also tended to wear Bucky's hand-me-downs.
    And he would punch people for being bullied etc and all that.
    And then the serum actually like, half transitioned him. And forced him partly through boy-puberty.
    FLASH FORWARD TO THE PRESENT
    He discovers the concept of "trans" and through various means at some poimt becomes America's accidental trans icon, to the horror of the conservatives.

• Like x 11
  16. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

[slams hands on table] I LIKE IT, SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A JOB AT MARVEL TO MAKE IT CANON

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  17. peripheral

I mean. I cant do worse than fucking nazi Steven

• Like x 8
  18. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

We dont. We don't talk about that here.

Except we do cause that some writers headcanon and whoever that writer is needs to leave

• Like x 5
  19. peripheral

If i was given control of the avengers book it would be so much gayer probably.

• Like x 7
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

did you mean: taako from the adventure zone

Merle is the only one of the Tres Horny Boys who I've never seen headcanoned as trans and therefore I have now decided that he is the only trans one out of the group. Fight Me

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice