What do we call ourselves?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

(First off, please don´t take this thread very seriously, this is just for dicussing some words people came up with that I thought were neat. Sillyness required, puns encouraged.)

So, one of the threads in the ITA section had the term seeblings for us. Another thread came up with kintsugi swarms. So a kintsugi swarm would be a swarm of seeblings?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like x 4
  2. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I was thinking about a pun on the fact that "kin" is a syllable in kintsugi, but I didn't get any further than that.
    I do kind of like "seeblings", but it rings weirdly (probably mostly because I try to be obsessively independent)
    the wordplay is fun though

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hm, tsugikin isn´t really very punny.

4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

it is not. nor does it ring trippingly off the tongue :D

5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

kintsugijin

• Like x 1
  6. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I actually like kintsugi swarm's mental image, because it brings to mind, like

Those glass-and-ceramic insects that decorate middle-class gardens? A whole swarm of those, with the kintsugi effect.

It's very cool.

• Like x 1
  7. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

Seebslings/seeblings is hella cute. :D

8. Rezlian

Rezlian Professional Lurker

I like the idea of a kintsugi swarm too. It has a nice ring to it and, yeah, it does bring to mind a swarm of some sort of iridescent insect or balls of light or something.

Dunno about seeb(s)lings though. Definitely think it's a fun word, but it feels a little awkward to be defining ourselves by him when he's no longer so much of a filter but our (benevolent, of course) dictator. Like homestucks don't say they're hussies (ok, there might be other reasons that that wouldn't catch on, but that's the first example that came to me). Nothing's coming to mind as a good alternative though, and if I'm gonna have my identity defined by anyone else then Seebs is a damn good choice.

(also, hi! this seems like a weird topic for a first post, but I was swamped with work earlier this week, so I only recently got to sign up and start catching up on some of the stuff here)

• Like x 7
  9. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

eh, i came up with seebslings as a joke (i may not be the originator? but i started using it independently) or sperglings.
    i like kintsugijin (@jacktrash 's idea)

i feel like since we've all come together through him, and he acted as a switchboard operator for so long.

• Like x 2
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Sperglings kinda implies we´re all aspie, which isn´t quite true? Kintsugijin sounds neat anyway.

Kintsugi swarm still makes me think of bats more for some reason. Flappy critters.

• Like x 1
  11. wes scripserat

yeah that's why i mostly used sperglings on the autism part of the forum

FLAPPY FLAPPY
    :D

12. Rezlian

Yeah, I'm with littlemissCodeless on sperglings (though that's probably perfect for Sperglord Central). Kintsugijin does sound fun though.

13. wes scripserat

14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

what's the jin bit? how does it change the word?

15. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Kintsugijin would be cool, but it's kind of a mouthful. Kintsujin?
    Alternatively, "[person] from Kintsugi" would be something like "Kintsugi kara [hito]" -> Kinkara? Kintsukara? I dunno.

16. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

In Japanese, adding "-jin" to the end of a noun, most often that of a country, makes the nationality word. For instance, an American would be Amerika-jin.

• Like x 2
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oh! i rather like it then.

18. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Yeah I like kintsugijin too, but it is kinda a mouthful, or at least gijin is kind of hard to say.

19. Rezlian

Hmm, yeah. I think the giji part was tripping me up a bit too. In which case I think I like the suggestions of kintsujin or kintsukara (leaning towards kintsukara just because then I get to make a nice 'kh' sound twice, plus a 'tsu').

• Like x 1
  20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

It´s not proper japanese, but kintsukin sounds kinda nice? (kin ending meant to imply family/clan bond)

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice