What Is Dogpiling?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by electroTelegram, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

From what I read, it didn't look like copying to get Social Points to me, it looked like a bunch of people angrily saying similar things because they thought similar things. Can I ask what made it seem like copying to you?

• Like x 2
  2. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

ray i havent heard that phrase before but it sounds like it yes!

3. a small fis)(

people repeatin the same points and how increasingly exaggerated they were gettin with being mad i guess? like, to the point where u think theyre just Being Madder bc other ppl are too i guess

4. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

I agree that cliques can contribute to a tendency to dogpile (again, see Shakesville). I disagree that cliques are the cause of the recent blowup, though. A lot of the people I saw agreeing with one another in the recent blowup are people who (as far as I can tell) rarely interact, and in some cases don't seem to particularly like each other otherwise. Others are friends, but friends agreeing with one another on something they disagree with someone else on doesn't make a clique.

Sometimes what you have is a clique, but sometimes what you have is one person genuinely being annoying or acting badly and other people reacting to that.

• Like x 10
  5. Secret Squirrel

Copied directly from google because I'm lazy, is this what you meant?

vir·tue sig·nal·ing
    noun
    noun: virtue signalling
    1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
      "it's noticeable how often virtue signaling consists of saying you hate things"

• Like x 4
  6. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

this seems like it's veering twoard a dissection of that situation and while i dont think that's a bad idea i don't think this is the place for it

• Like x 7
  7. a small fis)(

I disagree that cliques are the cause of the recent blowup, though

i disagree w that then... imo certain users and their attitudes have made arguments in general here seem far less mature and more tumblrlike lately ;;

8. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident POTSie potato.

it read as Increasing Frustration and Upset to me as opposed to trying to artificially inflate anything. they were actually upset.
    i feel awkward labeling things performative because it'd be shitty to call someone performatively sad if they were depressed.
    amplification happens the longer situations go on, sometimes, from what i've noticed

• Like x 10
  9. a small fis)(

ehh i guess? the fact that so many ppl were doing it together feels Performative tho. i wouldnt call a sad person performatively sad but id be suspicious of som1 havin an increasing Sad Contest w their friends i guess

10. a small fis)(

like tbh compare this thread itself to the void vent discourse for discussion vs performative anger !

11. electroTelegram

• Like x 6
  12. Mercury

Yeah, and with a bunch of people with brainweird, amplification can happen pretty easily. This isn't the first time this has happened, either; blowups here seem to follow similar patterns of frustration and escalation adding to frustration and escalation...

This strikes me as a bit of a strange thing to say about a blowup that started with a political subject that is already very touchy, with people who all have a very personal stake in it.

• Like x 7
  13. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident POTSie potato.

i'm not sure what to think because this is still the crux of what the dogpiling thing is confusing me as though
    how many people are allowed to be angry in one situation before its dogpiling?
    if they're calm and Nice signalling, is it the same?

i am so confused. thank you for responding but i am having grok problems.

• Like x 1
  14. a small fis)(

im personally referrin 2 a blowup abt postin a fish, the attitudes that caused such may or may not b related to any political discourse here lately idk

15. Mercury

In my experience dogpiling doesn't have a lot to do with tone, but a bunch of people expressing disapproval at one person and repeating things that have already been said to them with only a slight rephrasing, if anything. It's often angry, but can be expressed in words that look nice on a surface level. It's more of a volume/not letting the target get a word in edgewise thing.

• Like x 8
  16. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

Raybot has requested that we not get into specifics on that in this thread twice now. Make a thread.

• Like x 8
  17. Secret Squirrel

I think it's close but not quite there yet,
    as this has to do with why it pinged to @a small fis)( as dogpiling rather than a bunch of people disagreeing. Thank you for saying something because it is pretty close and I hadn't realized HOW close. XD

So, for clarity, @a small fis)('s discussion of dogpiling has a lot to do with intent. Group intent is what would make it dogpiling, while individual intent wouldn't, yes? She saw something (anger she perceived as performative) and thought it indicated group action. From other perspectives, the anger was individual. I'm not going to argue which perespective is correct, but the different perspectives do explain the differences in evaluations.

That being said, I think that does sum up how that situation relates to definitions of dogpiling. I would ask that further posts referring to that situation directly involve how dogpiling works, please, as we seem to have exhausted most of it.

• Like x 2
  18. a small fis)(

@Aqua Vitae alright im not rly comfy makin a whole thread for my disagreement w some1 but everyone can msg me in my vent thread if u wanna talk abt that stuff there i guess? whether u like it or not what happened there Is relevant to dogpiling discussion tho so.

19. Mercury

I believe we already had a thread about community guidelines for what is and isn't acceptable to post in vent threads? Right, here it is.

What was even the consensus on that?

20. electroTelegram

i agree that tone doesn't have a ton to do with it, especially over text, where tone can be next to impossible to decipher. it's also subjective and different people's meters for tone can be different.

expressing diagreement is fine but. hmm. i think dogpiling is often the result of the peanut gallery weighing in on a dispute involving only a few people.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    • Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice