What Is Dogpiling?

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by electroTelegram, Jan 30, 2017.

1. mmmm late to the party but hi
    I don't think I've ever actually been dogpiled, although I've felt dogpiled once before, but I think that was because Cedar's Brain Is An Asshole rather than because of any real dogpiling
    I think I would define dogpiling as like...person says something, multiple people immediately respond in a critical or angry way, and then continue to respond without really paying attention to the first person, or while talking over anything the first person says.
    note that 'critical' doesn't have to mean 'angry', people can be mature and critical, but I think the key point for me is 'not paying attention to/talking over the original person' because it seems to me that that's how someone ends up backed into a corner with nothing else to really say except to agree with the dogpilers.

• Like x 7
  2. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

imo the Everythings Okay If Its In A Vent Thread stuff is gettin a lil ridiculous but idk

3. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

Nnnot necessarily. People can contribute to a dogpile unintentionally by posting without checking if someone or someones have already said the thing.

4. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I was specifically referring to how @a small fis)( had defined it and working within her definition to understand her perspective. My own definitions are earlier in the thread.

• Like x 3
  5. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

Ah whoops, sorry!

• Like x 1
  6. a small fis)(

imo You Cant Question A Vent Thread is part of clique enabling culture that leads to dogpiles here like. its akin to an anti saying they can send someone who followed them hate for ships and vague people as aggressively as they like bc its their posts on their personal blog

7. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

if someone is able to discuss and talk, but they just aren't going to come to an agreement with people and it's essentially a case of "agree to disagree" that refuses to happen, is that still dogpiling or just a regular old argument? i'm trying to find as many stable definitions and perceptions as i can so if someone flings the phrase in as less of a 'this is really a thing that is happening' and more of a 'i don't want to hear what you're saying so if i say this you have to shut up' tactic that I'll know how to respond

data gathering is tiring

• Like x 3
  8. a small fis)(

depends whether theyre being allowed to tap out of the argument when they want to without angry reactions i guess?

• Like x 2
  9. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

This is the last response I will make to you in this thread, because I don't want to derail an important discussion which I think is going well.

You're starting to bring up your own personal beef with "certain users" and that has nothing to do with the general topic at hand. It's actually just frustrating to watch. It's got nothing to do with the Void thing being relevant ~whether I like it or not~.

• Like x 8
  10. Secret Squirrel

That's a legitimate concern, but at the risk of sounding dismissive, doesn't belong in this thread. Perhaps revive the relevant thread?

• Like x 2
  11. a small fis)(

link? :O!

12. a small fis)(

@Aqua Vitae calm down i dont want to engage with you or any of your friend group right now. im bringing up my own experiences with feelig dogpilined because they are relevant and my feelings exist whether you like them or not.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  13. TheMockingCrows

frustration and angry reactions will fly when people cut and run sometimes, i know i personally bitch up a storm when i feel the need, either publicly of privately
    its kicking the box of crayons over and usually becomes a Them problem instead of the problem of the person who cut and run
    if someone sticks around and continues kicking the dead horse, i'm not inclined to call people continuing to engage as well a dogpile, as they could leave at any time

• Like x 2
  14. a small fis)(

'you can leave the argument if you really wanted to' is kinda a crappy excuse that could b applied to any dogpile tho,,

15. TheMockingCrows

its... true though
    nobody else controls you, and nobody is binding you to something
    that is a You problem
    you alone are able to step away and self care at any time
    if you need help stepping away, people can help
    but it's still a You problem imo as opposed to anyone else unless they've been asked explicitly to stop

• Like x 10
  16. a small fis)(

yeah i guess;;
    just a matter of not making justifications for people not stopping when told to stop?

• Like x 1
  17. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

People can attempt to dogpile Seebs in the hundreds and possibly fail due to the differences of what causes hurt.
    People can accidentally rush someone else and create a dogpile sensation because of numbers and pressure and the feeling of not being heard or validated.

There's no hard numbers, and it's not always a matter of tone. It's the overwhelmed pushed out feeling.

• Like x 10
  18. Secret Squirrel

It was the one Mercury linked earlier, here. I think the initial topic was slightly different, but I think there's significant overlap. Warning is that it is long and kind fighty if you want to do a lot of backreading.

• Like x 1
  19. TheMockingCrows

fef, i do not grok, i'm sorry. can you rephrase possibly?

and swirl, ty, that is still a little fuzzy but its a fuzzy i can start feeling out more

20. a small fis)(

fef, i do not grok, i'm sorry. can you rephrase possibly?

'but it's still a You problem imo as opposed to anyone else unless they've been asked explicitly to stop'

you said if people are told to stop arguing by someone they should stop so! i dont see why that shouldnt apply bc Vent Thread :0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice