whats with the lights?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Missfortunate, May 30, 2015.

1. Missfortunate

Missfortunate Emotional one

I have found myself feeling very uneasy lately and it took me a really long time to figure out whats causing it but im pretty damn sure its the lights? Un-natural light like my lamp and its making me feel really strangely panicky and sort of like I wanna cry but....this doesnt even feel real. Does anyone know what this is? Cos that would help...i think

2. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Have teh lights been changed? Like new bulbs, switch from incandescent to other? Change of light color can do that badly.

3. Missfortunate

No but my SO told me ive been complaining about unatural light for awhile now and I didnt realise it but its like....even away from home

4. Lissa Lysik'an

Due to changes in light sources the color of unnatural lighting has been shifting away from the soothing yellow of incandescent to a bluer color that some of us find harsh. It may be that you've hit the tipping point where "okay, there's too much!"

• Like x 2
  5. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

It might be from increased stress. Your sensory processing could be a little more sensitive than normal. Like, normally you are able to handle the tiny bits of not-okays in stuff you're processing, but with stress you are less able to guard/deal with it. Uh. If that makes any sense. That's how I'm explaining my increased sensitivity/off-processing atleast.

• Like x 1
  6. Missfortunate

I think ive noticed whT you mean about blue light @Lissa Lysik'an , sometimes everything looks blue to me, not just over the top but sort of like the whole world has a soft soft blue filter? and @rorleuaisen guard is a very good word for it i think cos im definetly feeling sort of scared?

7. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

honestly that's kind of why I have a green glass lamp as the main source of light in my room. It's a way softer way more soothing light color.
    result is however, that I cannot take good pictures in my room because horrible selfie light. eh I only come in here to relax and sleep

8. Missfortunate

I definetly get selfie lighting issues I wonder if id be able to buy a different lampshade or a colored lightbulb maybe??

9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i actually have the same problem and i figured out what it was for me. it might be The Noise. i put capital letters b/c that's the only way i can describe it. some light bulbs, especially fluorescent and ones that give off that bluish light, make me hear a super high pitched whine. no one else i know irl can hear it. i have trouble after a while in grocery stores b/c of this. i didn't notice it at first, i just had that same uneasy feeling.

it might just be a sort of synesthesia or sensory overload making my ears ring more than usual though. all i know is i hate that particular Noise.

10. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Same problem, actually. And some fluorescents have... not quite a flicker? But sometimes the intensity changes juuuuuuust a little for a half second. One of the reasons I hate hospitals and grocery stores are the lights. Too much exposure gives me migraines, between the Hum and the not-quite-flicker.

• Like x 2
  11. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

You can get bulbs that are supposed to more or less mimic how daylight looks, so you might want to look into those. They give off a nice white-yellow light. I believe we've basically had those in every room of the house since we moved a few years ago, and they've never bothered me as far as flickering or anything, which I've noticed with other bulbs at other places. Of course that probably depends in part on brand, but I'm not sure.

• Like x 2
  12. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

The sound isn't just you. It's a known problem of cheap fluorescents.

• Like x 3
  13. Missfortunate

Thanks guys its good to know its not just me this happens to. @Alska whats the brand of the bulbs?

14. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh I'll Have to get Back To You tomorrow Night, im Not At Home Right Now. Also Sorry For Weird Format, idk Why My Phone Wants My Reply To Look Like Its From Kanaya

• Like x 3
  15. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

I feel you on the light problem. Lately lights have been driving me nuts! I am dreading work tomorrow, because the place is full of cheap florescent lights

16. Missfortunate

No worries @Alska :)
    @Void that does not sound pleasant at all >. < i wish you luck at work tomorrow

• Like x 1
  17. Lissa Lysik'an

At my new contract they asked me about the lights since I was sheilding my eyes during the "hi there" interview - then turned off the ceiling lights in my area and rearranged people sos only people who liked low light were around my section. Was rather cool of them.

• Like x 9
  18. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Fluorescent lights are one of my migraine triggers, I hate them. The colour, the flicker, the buzz and that 'tink, tink' noise they sometimes make all drive me crazy. Work is unable to accommodate changes to lighting (big grocery chain). Apparently glasses with an FL41 rose tint could help a bit since it blocks the blue light spectrum but I'm unable to shell out the cash to have my current specs updated.

• Like x 1
  19. Missfortunate

wow thats really cool of them! I hope my next place of work wherever that may be could be so accomodating :)
    @hellfirelover ugh yeah definetly, I get Migraines too and they are completely the worst thing. Also the noises the lights make is no bueno, my SO doesnt hear it tho so i guess not everyone can hear them

• Like x 1
  20. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

They're called Reveal 60 (as in 60 watts but I think they come in brighter versions too) and they're color enhanced full spectrum bulbs. Hope this helps!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice