Where do you shop for jewelry?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Shades of Love, Apr 10, 2018.

1. I’m wanting to expand my collection of chokers specifically, and would rather not shop Amazon if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Claire's, DIY (take some ribbons and some brooches and/or pendants with broken chains, make chokers), eBay (lots of the same problems as Amazon though), sometimes Hot Topic, Tokyo Otaku Mode probably has some...

• Useful x 1
  3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Spencers has a surprisingly robust selection of jewelry (especially chokers) but I have no idea what their online storefront looks like.

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

As with anything these days you can try Etsy! It usually has all kinds of different cool things

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. Thanks so much, this is very helpful! Emma I don’t know why I didn’t think of Etsy right away, it is such an obvious starting point. Thank you!

6. cleverThylacine

I don't know why I didn't either lol!

7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

It's pretty decent, last time I looked!

8. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Ebay is super shitty to their employees too? Damn, that's bull.

Also, if you live in a place with Target stores, they have them.

9. cleverThylacine

Uh, no, that's not what I meant.

What I meant is that eBay is also full of Chinese fakes of branded items, and for obvious reasons they're not labelled as such.

• Agree x 1
  10. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Oh! Yeah, I always check where stuff would ship from. But legitimate sellers have some nice stuff :)

• Agree x 1
  11. cleverThylacine

There are legit sellers in China, for that matter, but my concern is that someone who doesn't know or care about the brand will see what looks like a cute item because the picture is of something really cute from a brand but the seller sends an ugly fake.

Jewellery fakes are often really bad, particularly of animal items (Betsey Johnson, Nach Bijoux, Les Nereides) because they are sculptural and making a mold based on the item produces sloppy blobs without the fine details. I somewhere have a fake Betsey cat ring that looks like a transporter accident. I got my money back so I put it in the freebie box at swap meets, and it's been there for years, it's that fugocious.

Also, I have seen Chinese fakes of indie brand items, and Etsy and Redbubble sellers. There's a phone case for sale on Alibaba, the source of many fakes, that has a really cute thylacine design on it.

That I immediately recognised because I follow basically everyone on Redbubble who draws thylacine items.

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice