WHY MOTHER ;_;

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Leegle, May 13, 2016.

1. Leegle

Leegle Electric Beagle-loo

I was waffling about whether to post this in here or in WITNESS ME, but since everything is just speculation, I decided against doing that.

... Okay, so, a bit of backstory. In the last year's time, my beloved, 87 year old grandmother has gotten pneumonia twice. Both times she was hospitalized for a week or longer, and the second time in the beginning of this year, she also had to spend a few weeks in a rehabilitation therapy center. During that second visit to the hospital, they did a chest X-Ray on gram-gram and found a spot on her lung. They don't know what it is. They offered to biopsy it, but that would take a surgery, and they would have to do it after she recovered, and considering the fact that she's close to 90 years old, yeah, that isn't happening.

So, flash to now. She's actually doing REALLY GOOD! I went over and visited her three times over the course of last week while I was home alone, and each day she was in a good mood and so much fun to visit with. And she even came over on Mother's Day-- a bit of good news since she had to ride her chairlift down and make the long walk to the car (she had one knee replaced like a decade ago, but the other is still there and painful, so walking is a challenge for her). And everything was good!

Today, she almost thought she was going to go out grocery shopping with my mom and her sister (my grandma's sister, my great aunt), who's 90+ and in much greater health, but her back was really hurting so she didn't. And we were going to go over there for dinner tomorrow/tonight, but her back is still hurting, so we're not doing that, either.

So, tonight before Mom goes to bed, she brings up that spot on gram-gram's lung, and says, roughly, what if she has cancer? So I look it up, and sure enough, that can cause centralized pain in specific areas... Which is what mom says she has right now. And I started to panic a little bit, but then we discussed it a little more, and we decided that it... Probably isn't cancer. I mean, it could be that, or it could be a billion other things too, but since she's never going to get it checked out anyway, it shouldn't matter, right...?

... Yeah, that's what I thought. But then a bit later, I suddenly remembered the conversation and got really depressed because Jesus Christ what if she does? We're really close, but not as close as I'd want to be, and I figure I'll start visiting her even more often, but... I dunno. I'm just sad now over something that probably isn't even happening.

TL;DR Mom got me worried about my grandma possibly or not possibly having lung cancer, and now I'm worrying about it too much. Please reassure me and help me to stop panicking. Thank. ;_;

• Like x 1
  2. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that happened. I know what that fear and paranoia can be like. It's hard to work yourself out of, but one thing I can always recommend is the Relax, Ground & Clear meditation on stopbreathethink, along with Dealing With Anxiety.

• Like x 1
  3. Leegle

Leegle Electric Beagle-loo

Thanks. I'll be sure to check that site out. I thought I was doing better but then last night when I tried to think it hit my mind again and I started thinking about the worst-case scenario and then I ended up crying into my pillow a lil bit. ;_; I'll check those resources out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice