Why This Forum Exists

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 27, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, the backstory:

When I started running a tumblr, there was an askbox, and I thought that sounded useful, so I left it open. And people wrote in with stuff, and I answered it. No big deal. Occasionally people wrote in asking for advice, I don't know why, and I gave advice. Some people liked the advice. So more people wrote in asking for advice. Also people would write in to ask for advice and other people would write in to respond to them.

Problem: Tumblr is horrible. Ask length limits. No formatting in asks. Multipart asks which randomly got lost. Having to manually cut and paste things together. Submits where you had to manually copy/paste the contents to get them anonymized. And so on. Also, people who wanted to comment on things had to comment through me if they wanted to be anonymous, which meant that a lot of the traffic was just me manually copying and pasting things for other people to be able to talk.

Solution: Make a forum for it.

The name comes from the artwork where broken things are repaired in a way that often makes them more beautiful, because someone sent in a thing pointing out the relevance of that art style to people who think they are broken and can't be fixed.

• Like x 20
  2. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

I think this whole concept for this forum is beautiful and I'm excited to be part of this community. Thank you for making this! You've been my favorite tumblr blog for ages now.

3. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

I still post on Christian Forums where seebs and I had some interesting discussions back in the day, but more and more I find myself sighing at my inability to figure out if someone there is serious or trolling and logging in to find the one interesting topic on the board has been locked and saying to myself, "Time to go back to the Real World," by which I mean Kintsugi. The stuff here feels like it matters.

Good job, seebs.

• Like x 2
  4. seebs

I am sort of stunned that that place still exists.

I have basically no regrets about zorching my account there after A New Dawn "helpfully" edited one of my posts to completely reverse what it said, then got angry and insulting when I said that she had not preserved my message correctly at all.

5. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

That is a day that will live in infamy.

The old Internet Infidels discussion board is gone though. At least I can't find it with any of my old links.

But this place is good.

6. seebs

Thanks! I'm really happy with it. Mostly because of all the people who are being amazing when I'm too busy to post. :P

• Like x 1
  7. seebs

It really does work. We have a lot of people working hard to build that thing. I think the sorta baseline I'm going for is experiencing people without condemnation. Condemning people seems not-helpful.

• Like x 3
  8. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I have no idea where I picked up "no judgement attaches" as an ending to statements (some work of fiction??) but it seems applicable.

• Like x 2
  9. seebs

Unstickying this thread because I have an actual charter statement now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice