wiwaxia: you are officially welcome

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 24, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Rigs mentioned a thing in passing, and on thinking about it I have reached a conclusion: I think Wiwaxia is entitled to an admin-started thread explicitly stating that, yes, Wiwaxia is welcome on the forum. You can't fix the impact of calling someone out specifically by name by just not-doing-it, I think; you have to go actually counter the thing.

I have this distinction I keep trying to express between "unacceptable behavior" and "unacceptable person", and I really hate the thing of reducing a person to a particular behavior. And then I do it anyway, because it turns out I, too, get mad and frustrated and stop thinking about things. So, for instance, I don't think suicide-baiting is acceptable behavior, but I don't want to kick people out for doing it; I want to find ways they can stay and be part of the community and not do that thing. I don't think ostracization is acceptable behavior, but I don't want to kick people out for doing it (or suggesting it); I want to find ways they can stay and be part of the community and not do that thing.

Wiwaxia is not an unacceptable person. Wiwaxia is a participant in the community in lots of ways that have nothing to do with any complaints I have. Wiwaxia runs a game in the RP forum. Wiwaxia posts cool science stuff. Wiwaxia talks to people and builds them up and comforts them, and these are all important things, that are part of the whole person. Wiwaxia has been a part of this community from the beginning. Trivia point: The very first ban on the forum was a subaccount Wiwaxia made so we could test how banning works on subaccounts. Here's the entry in the admin control panel:

Screenshot from 2017-02-24 10-43-48.png

I do not want Wiwaxia gone. I do not want Wiwaxia hurt, or scared. I want Wiwaxia to be a part of the community, and a participant. I don't want that to result in other people being hurt or scared, either, and I have been pretty much completely stumped on solving that.

I have no clue how to get there from here, but floor's open to suggestions. Even, or perhaps especially, from Wiwaxia.

• Like x 37
  2. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

To be whole is to be part; true voyage is return.

Ursula LeGuin

• Like x 5
  3. AbsenteeLandLady124

AbsenteeLandLady124 Well-Known Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice