Worried about someone on Tumblr

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by LipstickChainsaw, Sep 6, 2015.

1. There is an individual I have been following on Tumblr for a while now and I am a little worried about their mental health.

They seem to be rather unstable and have recently talked about violent urges without a healthy way to vent. They have also, if I recall correctly (I might not be, it has been a while) made a suicide attempt, at which point I reported them to suicide watch.

Most of this seems to center around a 'multiple system' and 'otherkin' thing and I have no idea whether that's something mentally healthy and just a way teenagers express themselves, or if there's something actually worrying going on.

I have been keeping an eye on them for a couple of months now, making sure to report them again should they get suicidal urges and during that time, I've noticed that many of their followers seem to be enabling their behaviour, which isn't a problem if the behaviour itself isn't a problem, but that's something I'm not sure about.

Basically, I'm starting to suspect they need serious help, and I am nowhere near qualified to give it. Is it okay if I link to their blog here to ask for help, or would you prefer another way?

2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Otherkin stuff can be healthy expression. Multiples are not. It's tumblr's attempt at forming Disassociative Identity Disorder into something positive and destigmatized, which they have gone about in the usual tumblr way, IE "No one can say this is a bad and unhealthy thing, it is RELENTLESSLY A POSITIVE FORCE IN LIFE AND YOU DON'T EVER NEED HELP FOR IT."

(It should be noted that most modern clinical studies think DID does not occur organically and instead only occurs when the possibility is implanted in a patient's mind. Historically this is by psychologists, but I have a Dear Personal Friend who went through it as a teenager due to a manipulative-abusive friend of hers. She needed roughly three years of therapy to get it successfully sorted out. I don't claim to be completely unbiased about multiple bullshit.)

So: either they've given themselves DID through the power of suggestion, or they want everyone to think they have it. Neither is a good thing, though the latter is easier to handle <i>in therapy</i> than the former. (Internet multiples also don't take the usual form of clinical DID, which includes segments where a personality blacks out rather than multiple personalities coexisting at once, however given its nature as a Mental Illness of Suggestion, as the culture around it changes it wouldn't surprise me if the symptoms change. Yadda, yadda.)

This is definitely problematic shit that's being encouraged by their followers, but it sounds to me like you're already doing all you can do. People who don't want help won't listen, and if their followers are enabling them and treating this behaviour as okay, then there's not much you're going to be able to do to convince them otherwise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice