WTF House Remodels

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Lizardlicks, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I really don't have anyplace else to put this, but someone somewhere must sympathize with my pain of seeing "upgrade" house remodels that are just.... no.

Today's offender, because I have been trying to find Pintrest board references for my 110 year old home, are nice rustic/craftsman style kitchens that have been "updated" with granite and chrome. God. No. Why.

• Like x 9
  2. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

NOOOO my internal interior designer....is cringe........

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

please gods give me houses i love bad houses

• Like x 1
  4. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@Aondeug im assuming you've heard of mcmansion hell

• Like x 2
  5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

yes

• Like x 1
  6. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Augh, chrome as an interior design choice. I'm reminded of that bit that got added on to Jesse's post about having trouble finding tiles and how it felt like the colour was vanishing from the world because most of what he and Seebs had found was a very monochrome palette in greys and black, the person having gone something along the lines of "if you don't like chrome and black, you're automatically wrong". (I remember it as being more rude, but Tumblr.)

And I stand by my response to that, tbh: chrome and black, as thematic elements, are 'hi, you're in the Death Star or Starkiller Base. or possibly Dr. Evil's lair. or maybe the mansion of a very rich, probably evil dude!' - or at least, that's what it reads as to me? it's things that read as really super, stupidly expensive, where you're not going to see any pets that have the ability to run around and knock things over, and the homeowner probably either doesn't have kids or can pay for a housekeeper to wipe things down and get rid of all those fingerprints that accumulate.

I don't want "stupidly expensive". I don't want something that feels like I stepped into a store display! I want something that feels like an actual person could live there!
    I'm finding myself really fond of pastels lately. And jewel tones, too, but pastels feel soothing right now?

...bringing things back on-topic: I like the "Crappy Construction Tales" thread over on Something Awful. It's got a lot of stories of "okay, this looks terrible, is probably against code, and is almost definitely incredibly unsafe". Often with pictures!

• Like x 3
  7. Lizardlicks

It works for modern/contemporary styles that also feature no children. It's sleek! It looks great in a New York Studio high rise looking out over the skyline! It does not work for my house.

What I want is this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I keep finding is this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IT'S SO UGLY, PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP.

• Like x 10
  8. shmeed

shmeed plant me

there's a very cool very trendy interior decorating trend where you stick succulents in a glass pot and layer it with rocks, sand and dirt. very pretty, but the succulent is absolutely doomed if you don't live in a literal desert. AND I KEEP SEEING IT! agggggg makes me want to scream!!!!! the poor plants!!!!

variant cover: sticking succulents in another cute non-draining, inadequately-lit pot, like a corkscrew magnet on your fridge, or a series of shotglasses that you put on your spice racks. DONNNNN'T

• Like x 5
  9. Lizardlicks

I like to imagine there's either some sort of drainage holes we can't see drilled in, or else the people raising them are being very studious about only watering the surface layers and letting the water drain down away from the roots and then dry out before watering again...

But who the fuck am I kidding, people rarely take 5 second to look up How To Plant, even for something that should be as fool proof as succulents.

• Like x 2
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

This is probably more an animal cruelty thing, but people who use bettas as decoration in like, tiny vases or those sealed wall things have a special place in hell as far as im concerned

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
  11. shmeed

shmeed plant me

oh my god i wasn't aware that was a thing. but of course it is. that is next-level awful!!!!!!

• Like x 1
  12. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

whats bad?? white, polished kitchens ae bad
    upload_2017-2-2_18-36-40.png
    WHYYY

i also dont like high ceiling and i hate the new minimalist trend i love worn walls and natural woods n rock

• Like x 5
  13. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

14. Lizardlicks

Anyone who uses any kind of animal as decoration tbh, but yeah, fish, especially bettas, get the brunt of "there for looks pretty, what do you mean nitrites and ammonia levels?"

• Like x 3
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

That kinda makes me want to get in there with a paintball gun and fuck shit up. RAINBOW KITCHEN

• Like x 3
  16. Lizardlicks

This that... title? In the living room???

• Like x 2
  17. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I'm giggling because the kitchen floor looks like wood. THEY GOT THEM MIXED UP.

• Like x 7
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

What, you mean you don't want every room in your house to look like an oversized shower stall? CRAZY TALK. :::OOO

• Like x 3
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

xinmyx.png

• Like x 11
  20. Lizardlicks

I don't even want my shower stall to look like a shower stall (going to for a nautical/beach theme).

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice