ZEON! Wait, no, OZ. Or was it ZAFT? (Gundam thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Aondeug, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

We do not have a Gundam thread. As I am beginning on a grand quest to watch every last bit of Gundam I can get my grimy little hands on I feel that I must rectify this lack. So now we have a Gundam thread. For each and every part of this bizarre hell franchise. Like the UC shit? It is here. Only ever really watched Wing? It is here. Fond of Build Fighters? It is here. Hell, even the umpteen million SD Gundams are.

All robots, all war, all day.

Currently I'm watching through Ironblooded Orphans. Only 8 episodes into the 50 episode long series, but I'm really liking it so far. Like a lot. It's pretty looking, deals with found family and struggling to live as people basically born and raised as soldiers, and it has a kickin' rad opening theme song with some very awkward English grammar going on. What is there not to like.

Beyond that I've watched 0079 (the original series), G Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny, Wing, and SD Force. I've also seen small bits of other series like Turn A and I think it was 0080 that was the depressing as shit one aired on Toonami one time? Whatever it was it was fucking depressing. Sadly G and 0079 are the only ones out of that group that I really remember much about. Seed is a hazy maze of like 500 people that all look similar and more gundams than even G had in my mind. So many gundams. Too many gundams.

After I get through IBO I'm probably going to head through the UC, starting with 0080.

2. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Gundam Wing was really baby's first anime and baby's first fandom for me. I really could not understand all of the Relena-bashing. Also the fact that the characters had almost-canon pairings made the discovery of the craploads of GW yaoi very confusing for 12-year-old me.

08th MS Team was really good. 0080 was depressing, but good. 0083 was a mess but I loved the idea of the Dendrobium. I haven't actually seen any more of the UC in full.
    I remember liking Gundam X, but not really why. G is at least honest in how silly it is, plus I always love me some grey-goo apocalypse.
    Seed was okay, Seed Destiny was eh. Gundam 00 tried too hard, I think. I started watching Unicorn, but with the long periods between releases I kind of forgot about it. I haven't watched anything since.

Also, if you've seen my posts in the Transformers thread, you can probably guess that I've got like a hundred model kits.

3. Aondeug

I'm not into transformers so I haven't seen those nope. I've been interested in gunpla since I was a kid, but I haven't really done any since I was a kid? I should probably look into it again at some point. I like the assembling of the things. Would be fun to learn to paint shit properly too.

Away from that, I think my favorite thing about IBO so far might be its tone and look? It has a very gritty feel to it. We're not dealing with a professional military that has pretty uniforms. We have kids who took over a private military company and who live in Shitsville, Mars. Yeah we painted our logo on shit, but half our clothes don't fit right and everything's just very BROWN and practical looking. It just kind of screams "god we're unfortunate and getting the short end of the stick". And just...these are kids. Literally all of them are fucking kids. Half of whom were legit slaves. We now work with a space mafia and are becoming part of the Mars Independence Movement but we're still just kids.

god damn

Tekkadan has a sort of...family togetherness thing to it that reminds me of what I really loved about Republic Commando from Star Wars. These are people who have lived and breathed war since a very early age. They're pretty much trapped in their situation. And they've developed very tight found family bonds as a result. Tekkadan is ride or die as fuck. There's something about that that really grabs at me with military fiction.

i will be emotionally destroyed when someone dies

4. Aondeug

I am emotionally destroyed by the last three episodes I watched. I am only 13 episodes in. What in the fuck is the final stretch of this series going to do to me. Please gods no.

i said i wanted another repcomm

i did not realize what that would mean for me until now

oh no

5. Aondeug

my fav is fucking dead omfg no

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice