17/18/19th century soldier, researching for RP

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Codeless, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hey @jacktrash do you have any links/could point me in the right direction where I could find out what a grunt level soldier/NCO of that time period would be carrying around with them? Also what was in first aid kits in those time periods?

Anyone else is of course also welcome to answer.
    Edited to add: Yes I know google exists but my google fu is weak so it´s almost certain I´ll miss things.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thank you, that helps a lot! And if I hunt down a specific war, I might get lucky and find some bona fide Romanian ones. I´d assume medkits/first aid kits would be around the same places? (We have some wiggle room since this is a universe with more tech than ours. Girl Genius verse)

Warning: Here be sperging! Feel free to just lookit the pictures or whatever.
    Characters, posted with permission. Probably forever WIP
    GG verse has people called sparks who are geniuses of varying intensity who can bend the laws of nature a little. hus, tech can be fairly anachronistic, but i like to know the rules before I break them. Our RP is set before canon, we hace decided 18th century-ish. there is one spark family who rose to power very early, and who are known for being 1) evil 2) brilliant and 3) nucking futs. We´re playing jägermonsters, which are this families grenadiers/shock-troops. Humans altered to be super strong, scary looking, and nearly immortal. They don´t appear to be nearly as structured as most armies, uniforms and equipment vary greatly.
    Cosmina´s mine, Cezar belongs to @TwoBrokenMirrors

• Like x 1
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

looks like fun! i haven't been able to get into girl genius because of the way he draws faces, but i'm roughly familiar with the premise, and i reckon you have a lot of wiggle room in terms of historical period. might be fun to add a few odd inventions or devices to the soldiers' kit to go with the mad science theme. :D

5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yeah, the art is kinda distorted. I got used to it, but for example can´t watch SU because of that art.
    Hmm mad sciency devices... No Cosmina you aren´t getting a flamethrower. But maybe a sort of lighter. (Cosmina is an NCO. This means she gets paperwork. Her paperwork gets "Blown into the fire by the wind" suspiciously often)

6. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

the guys at the military science library potsdam might be able to help you. if i read it correctly, you can use the library for free even if you're not a militarynscientist or student thereof.
    http://www.mgfa-potsdam.de/html/zms_bib.php

• Like x 1
  7. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Generally not much. Soldiers actually carried what they needed. Other stuff traveled in wagons in the train.

Found two equipment lists
    British, 1809
    French, 1812

8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thanks. And yeah didn´t think it would be much. Also looking for stuff like extra boot soles and heels, that a 21st century citykid like me just wouldn´t consider.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice