Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by MagicalBoy, May 31, 2016.

1. [deleted]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I think you mean DRM free and cost free? Because there's a bunch that's DRM free but costs money.

3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don't know how well it plays with ereaders, but yesterday I discovered overdrive.com, which lets you check out ebooks from any library you have a card for. You can download the ebook and it'll stay on your computer for a certain amount of time. I got 20 days but maybe it varies by library, idk. And I'm not sure if the book will automatically be deleted after that time or if you have to be connected to the internet for it to realize that it should return itself.

In related news, I just finished reading The Martian, and damn. A++ do recommend, if you haven't read it already.

fakedit because I just remembered a thing: this may be relevant to your interests. It's apparently a DRM removal tool. I haven't used it because I haven't ever bought an ebook, but it comes recommended by tumblr and seems legit.

• Like x 1
  4. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Everything Baen is available as non-DRM ebooks from their website including my favorite fantasy series (P.C. Hodgell's Kencyrath series) and a bunch else. Quite a few for free.

• Like x 1
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Another thing I just remembered: all of Diane Duane's ebooks are currently 50% off! Or at least all of them that are available on that site. And they're all DRM-free, too. If you haven't read the Young Wizards series, it's fucking amazing, and she recently released a box set of the first 9 books rewritten to bring their timeline up to date and fix a few other issues caused by the fact that they were first written in the 80s. You can get them all for $20.

• Like x 3
  6. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I'm guessing books only available via Amazon Kindle aren't DRM free or I'd rec my obscure fave

The new editions are worth it for the vastly improved treatment of autism alone

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like x 1
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Yes! I haven't read them yet and I'm waiting till my next paycheck to buy them, but I have seen dduane talking about that on her tumblr some. I'm looking forward to enjoying A Wizard Alone a lot more than I did the first time around :3

• Like x 1
  8. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I got The Goblin Emperor from Amazon and it's DRM free. It's up to the publisher/author, I'm p. sure. (I highly recommend The Goblin Emperor, btw, it's my favorite fantasy book since just about forever.)

Edit: Looking through my e-books and Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead is also DRM free! I haven't gotten any further into that series yet, but it comes highly recommended and I LOVED Three Parts Dead. It's sort of... magical steampunk with dead gods and magic done via case law.

It looks like at least some of Elizabeth Bear's books are also DRM free. Of the ones I've recently read of hers, Karen Memory is an awesome alt history steampunk novel that actually deals with underclasses and non-white people.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

10. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

@Mala The books I listed - which I just realized are all published by Macmillian - all had a page after the cover and title plate about how the book is DRM free. (I can take a screencap if you want.) I had no problem briefly 'lending' my copy of The Goblin Emperor to a friend, so it's legit.

Publisher undoubtedly has a lot more to do with whether or not an ebook has DRM than distributor, so it's worth looking up the publisher of a book you're interested in and seeing what their DRM policy is. Not sure if other publishers that don't do DRM put notices in their books, or just have it listed somewhere on their websites.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice