Kintsugi Plays Fallen Hero: Rebirth

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by keltena, Dec 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

evil laugh_w.png
    In that spirit, I'm going to break from being excessively cautious and vote BLOW IT UP.

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

> Heroic Heritage Museum
    > Hollywood's W

What... is the theme of this museum, again...? Oh boy

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Right? Like… that part really seems more "heritage" than "heroic"…

(Between this and the backstory, I always got the impression that Los Diablos views its pre-apocalyptic history through the lens of its current identity as one of the Enhanced capitals of the world, and vice versa. Los Angeles wasn't just culturally and historically significant in its own right—its destruction was Los Diablos's superhero origin story.)

• Informative x 1
  4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Only targeting the Sideswipe exhibit would be suspicious, let's wreck the whole thing (and maybe steal any goodies that happen to be lying around)

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. keltena

I do believe that's a unanimous vote!

Let's burn this thing to the ground.

> Destroying the museum building will strike fear into everyone.

Nothing beats property damage when establishing yourself as a force to be reckoned with, and this is poetic justice of the best kind. The museum is a symbol of the hypocrisy you hate, and there is nothing in there worth remembering. Why are these so-called heroes revered as such anyway? Because the country needs the myth of the righteous individual not afraid to get their hands dirty?

You look down at the page, which has become crumpled in your hands once more. It doesn't matter. Everything crumbles in the end. Paper. Buildings. People.

Everybody is so terrified of entropy. Tearing down this symbolic building will drive home your point more strongly than anything else you could do. There are no heroes anymore, there's just you, and they are right to be scared. You were—right up until you realized that the only way to deal with the monsters who live in the dark was to become one of them.

There's a ghost of a smile on your face as you straighten the article once more. The ink is smudged now, and the picture of the museum crinkled and cracked so it almost looks like someone has already started to tear it down.

As omens go, it's not a bad one.

Dr. Mortum will soon be finished with the armor. You have a target. Now all you need is a plan.

Time to get to work.

CLASSIFIED

Secret Identity: Josie Jacobs
    Description: An average mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short, neat curly dark brown hair.

Josie Jacobs is a seasoned, tech-savvy tactician.

Physical Status
    Stamina: You are rested.
    Willpower: You feel calm.
    Injuries: You are fine, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy

Strength of Mind: 50%
    ████████████████████
    Subtle Manipulations: 74%
    ██████████████▒█████

Standard of Living: You are comfortable.

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 25% / Obscurity: 75%
    ████████████████████
    Arrogance: 11% / Anonymity: 89%
    ██▒█████████████████
    Ruthlessness: 49% / Empathy: 51%
    █████████▒██████████
    Daring: 45% / Caution: 55%
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Name: Barbara
    Puppet Status: Fine.
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties, with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Josie's relationship with Ortega: old friend.
    Ortega and Josie: 74%
    ██████████████▒█████

Barbara's relationship with Ortega: flirting.
    Ortega and Barbara: 40%
    ████████████████████

Barbara's relationship with Dr. Mortum: flirting.
    Mortum and Barbara: 54%
    ██████████▒█████████

Josie's relationship with Lady Argent: distant.
    Lady Argent and Josie: 0%
    ████████████████████

Josie's relationship with Marshal Steel: former ally.
    Marshal Steel and Josie: 24%
    ████▒███████████████

Josie's relationship with Herald: distant.
    Herald and Josie: 20%
    ████████████████████

That will do it for Chapter 5. We have our means, motive, and opportunity—all that's left is to wait.

Next time: Let's skip most of that waiting and do some final prep work. (Technically we'll also be skipping Chapter 6, which is a different story branch.)

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    • Informative x 3
  6. keltena

(Ignore that the newspaper said one week; I think that's a mistake.)

Three Weeks Later

This is what Christmas is supposed to feel like.

As with many things, you never really understood the feelings involved, but you had seen enough on screen to mimic what was expected of you. But today, you feel like you understand the volatile mixture of tension and excitement.

If you had dared to laugh, you would have.

The garage you're standing in is a small space, the corners filled with dust, but the white van parked at one end is kept in perfect shape. It's been your improvised base for the last few days because you needed somewhere neutral to prepare.

Your first secret base.

You wish it had been grander, but it will have to do for now.

The crate smells like sawdust and disinfectant when you open it, a vaguely chemical odor that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Are you afraid? Nervous? Impatient? You're not sure how you feel as you pull out the separate parts of the armored suit and set them on the floor in front of you.

They look more solid than their holographic counterparts, beset with a realness that makes you feel like a cardboard cutout. When you pick up the nanomesh skinsuit that goes underneath, it's slick as liquid in your hands—not at all like what you remember wearing as Sidestep.

Have you just gotten too used to the comfortable drabness of ordinary fabrics, or is this more advanced than your old suit? Maybe it's just that this one is meant to go under armor, and thus has none of the reinforced padding that you wore. It doesn't matter, really; it needs to be put on either way.

You glance briefly towards the owner of the garage, a stocky older man sitting with his back towards you. The bag over his head ensures you get a bit of privacy, but undressing is not something you do lightly. You might need his hands and van in a few days' time, but that doesn't mean you haven't taken precautions to keep yourself anonymous.

‣ I've manipulated him as gently as I can.
     ‣ I've brainwashed him until he follows my every command.

If all goes as planned, we'll be able to have our own secret base soon. Until then, which do we care more about: not harming this man, or taking no chances with our anonymity around him?

CLASSIFIED

Description: An average mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short, neat curly dark brown hair.

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    Ruthlessness: 49% / Empathy: 51%
    █████████▒██████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Description: A tall white woman in her twenties, with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

██████████▒█████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

7. LadyNighteyes

I'm going to say "gently" only partially because I'm bad at being mean in video games, and the rest because it is very funny to me to imagine that it was actually weirdly easy to get this guy to decide that what he wants to do today is sit in his garage with a bag over his head.

• Agree x 2
  8. keltena

We of course made sure to pick an old man with a passion for sitting with a bag over his head.

> I've manipulated him as gently as I can.

Everyone has something you can use for leverage, and for this man it was a thirst for alcohol. It was easy to trigger his mind into going through the motions of thinking he was drinking himself into oblivion, then trapping him in drunken dreams until you woke him up. You've been here every night for the last week without him suspecting, rehearsing your plan, nudging his mind until it became pliable enough to do what you needed it to do.

…or that, I suppose.

Still, this method has its drawbacks, and one of these is the snoring. You can see the paper bag vibrate with the force of it, moving slightly in and out with every breath, making it impossible for you to ignore that he is here. You can't afford to let yourself be bothered by that, even though pulling off your shirt makes you sweat as badly as he does. You'd better get this over with fast.

There are no mirrors in here, and you avoid looking down at yourself as you pull on the skinsuit. It clings to your body in an uncomfortably private way, reminding you of other invasions. Still, once it's on, it settles down on you like a second skin, turning you part shadow in the harsh light. It also makes you realize that you are not twenty anymore, and that it's been years since you had a washboard stomach.

The chest piece takes care of that admirably.

Bit by bit, you strap on the suit. The various pieces interlock with a smooth, mechanical sound as you press them together. It's not something you can slip into at the drop of a hat, but you don't need to hurry right now. And with a bit of planning, there should be no need for it in the future either. You need time to get into character, turning yourself from faded nobody into your new self.

The gloves slide on with a faint hiss, the left one bulkier and filled with menace. You can't feel the nanovores you know are resting there. They lie in their default state of peaceful slumber, hidden inside the reinforced compartments ringing your palm.

One thing you do feel is the Rat King, stirring to life as you grab the helmet with both hands, jogging the former targeting matrix into wakefulness. It chitters excitedly as you push the helmet down over your head, resulting in a moment of breathlessness before the suit's internal systems take over and the entire thing boots up.

The sensation is nothing short of glorious.

Seeing the systems blink into green one by one, you're struck by a sense of giddy elation. You wonder what you should do first.

‣ I feel amazing. I need to check out how I look.
     ‣ I need to try out how the suit works.

What first? :D

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    Ruthlessness: 45% / Empathy: 55% (+4)
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

██████████▒█████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

9. swirlingflight

‣ I need to try out how the suit works.
    There are no mirrors here, I'm told, and getting to one may need using the suit

• Agree x 2
  10. keltena

First things first. Let's make sure this thing works before we start admiring ourselves in it.

> I need to try out how the suit works.

Function is more important than form, and it won't matter how good it looks if it doesn't work. That is why you are still alive—because you've always been more focused on getting the job done than on how you look while doing it. Sometimes you wonder how it would feel to be someone as carefree as Herald, able to effortlessly indulge in flash and style without ever having to worry about secrecy.

> Let's Try This Baby Out

You can see the suit's control systems light up at the edge of your vision. Everything is flashing green, the numbers almost too faint to make out. A flick of your eye enlarges them, telling you that the battery is at full capacity, the nanovore containment system is running smoothly, and there are no dangerous chemicals in the air that surrounds you. You shut off the screen with another wink inside your mask, pondering how to start testing this thing properly.

Looking around, you remember that the garage owner is a smoker. There should be cigarettes somewhere in here, and it doesn't take you long to find them.

Lighting one up is a fine test of dexterity. You're pleased to that the finger joints run so smoothly that you have no issues, even handling something as delicate as a match, after a few tries. Good. And since you can't smell the cigarette smoke at all, at least that part of the air filtration system is working properly. You just have to hope it can stand up to the standard array of teargas and worse that you can expect to be subjected to.

Turning off the lights makes your night vision activate, painting the garage in pale greens and grays. The infrared seems to be working as well, the still body of the owner a warmer spot than the recently extinguished cigarette.

Your own hand is dim and hard to spot. It seems Dr. Mortum has managed to make your armor quite insulated, at least when you are not using any of the more power-draining functions. Good to know.

Now to test the strength….

The spare tire feels light in your hands, more like a foam prop than the real thing. You might not have gone with the enhanced strength option, but you are still stronger than you used to be. Maybe as strong as Ortega, though you've never really bothered to think about exactly how strong her enhancements make her.

‣ I love feeling this powerful—I can't wait to punch someone.
     ‣ Good. Just what I need right now.
     ‣ I have to be careful not to go overboard. I can't afford to be cocky.

How does it feel to wield this kind of power?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    Ruthlessness: 45% / Empathy: 55%
    ████████████████████
    Daring: 39% / Caution: 61% (+6)
    ███████▒████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

██████████▒█████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

11. LadyNighteyes

Today in passages rendered extremely funny by the MC's total lack of self-awareness re: their drama levels...

• Agree x 3
  12. keltena

(Incidentally, if Josie's lack of self-awareness extends to their own feelings here, I can always see if the RNG knows.)

• Like x 1
  13. LadyNighteyes

oh right we got asked a prompt. I'm gonna say punch someone.

14. keltena

Aren't we tired of being subtle and undramatic? Don't we just want to go ape shit?

> I love feeling this powerful—I can't wait to punch someone.

You love this feeling of power; you can't wait to punch someone. To get a chance to release all the anger and frustration…

So, the strength is fine, but speed is a little harder to try out in here. You move through a few seamless kata, smiling underneath your helmet. The suit feels and moves like your own body. It remains to be seen how much of an improvement over your own reflexes it will be once you are out in the field.

You are not fool enough to try firing up a pair of jump-jets indoors.

Spoilsport. :P

The same goes for the armor itself; you can't feel any pain when hitting yourself with a hammer, and throwing yourself head first onto the floor leaves you rattled but not bruised. You don't dare to put your finger in the socket to test the insulation because that might short out the entire building, but considering you told Dr. Mortum that isolation was a priority, you have to trust her judgment. You know all too well what Ortega can do.

And finally…

You take a deep breath, looking down at your left hand, because you know you can't put it off. But at the same time, you are more than a little nervous. There's a presence there that you can feel, a lethal heaviness of intent that you are too familiar with.

Did the first cavemen feel the same when they lit a campfire? The terrifying elation of controlling something that could kill them?

The nanovores are a colony and not a swarm. They are neutered and cannot procreate. And if Dr. Mortum has done her job, they should also target inorganic rather than organic matter. Your armor is their designated home, so it's safe from their voracious appetite. But everything else…

You look around the room, trying to decide what to try them on.

‣ I'll play it safe, destroying a wrench to test how easily they are controlled.
     ‣ I'll try a chair. Will they spare the wood and eat the metal?
     ‣ The important thing is whether they are truly neutered. Can they target living creatures?

Our first and last encounter with these was nearly a decade ago, and it took everything we had just to stop them. We're stronger than we were, and this small sample should be a far cry from the flesh-eating swarm that decimated Los Diablos… but if we've any doubts, better we confront them now than in the field.

The safest option would be something small, to make sure we can actually control them. A chair is larger, but would let us test how well Mortum's reprogramming holds up. Or… we could just rip off the band-aid and answer the big question once and for all: are they really human-safe?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    ████████████████████
    Daring: 45% (+6) / Caution: 55%
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

██████████▒█████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

15. swirlingflight

‣ I'll try a chair. Will they spare the wood and eat the metal?
    Extremely important clarification to know, re: organic vs inorganic. They should! Wood's organic! The author surely didn't go for "alive" vs "not alive" here, but, I worry

• Agree x 3
  16. keltena

Better check how thorough the good doctor was with her revisions.

> I'll try a chair. Will they spare the wood and eat the metal?

You walk over to the chair lying on the floor; it had fallen over when you first walked in and took over the owner. It's a simple construction, metal legs with a wooden seat and back. Just something to sit on when you take a breather and a cup of coffee. Right now, it's the perfect target to test the accuracy of your secret weapon.

Picking up the chair is an easy thing, now that you are stronger than you used to be. Holding it by one metal leg, you trigger the nanovores.

They feel like ants, the crisp impression of formic acid stinging your mind, though you know there's no physical substance here. The friendly presence of the Rat King sits at the back of your mind, helping you see and control every aspect of the swarm. You can feel them covering the chair, and you frown a little at the focus you have to exert to keep them moving over a surface they are not allowed to eat.

Still, you can guide them with little effort, spreading over the chair, sparing the wood while devouring all the other disparate metal pieces. Legs, bolts, the metal supports in the backrest…it is all devoured, leaving the seat and backrest dropping to the floor, gnawed clean like bones.

Good—you not only have control, there is an ease and an elegance to it that has you smiling inside your mask.

Looks like those telepathic boosters are paying off!

Now that you've made sure everything is in working order, you can't quite resist the urge to take a look at yourself.

> A Self You Can Admire

There are no mirrors in the garage, but the windows on the white van are kept impeccably clean. It's not perfect, but they're enough to give you a rough idea of what you have turned yourself into.

The van distorts your image a bit as it reflects it back at you, adding to the disjointed look of the armor.

You have to admit that Dr. Mortum has done a good job: the helmet is a blank, mirrored surface that reflects more than reveals, and the angles of the armor planes make it hard to focus on the body beneath.

You're there, for sure, but you're a broken, angular shard of a being, and it feels right in a way that few things do. This is your true face now.

The billowing cape adds just the right amount of mystery to the look, enabling you to hide beneath its shadowy folds.

For a moment, you stand alone in the garage, lost in thought. You keep flexing your hands, feeling the armored suit shift according to your movements. It feels so good. It feels so very good, and you imagine that after a few days practice it will feel even better. Outside, the sun is shining, the citizens of Los Diablos going about their business as normal, not knowing that something has been born. Inside, someone is laughing.

You are laughing.

The temptation to take your new self out for a spin is almost overwhelming.

And then your phone rings.

‣ I jump, startled out of my reverie.
     ‣ I swear, annoyed that I am getting interrupted.
     ‣ Only one person has this number…Ortega.

—oh for fuck's sake.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

██████████▒█████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

17. KarrinBlue

ORTEGA!!!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  18. KarrinBlue

(Also I hope that van has some side mirrors. We may be a villain but safe driving is important too!)

• Agree x 2
  19. keltena

(I sure hope so too! If we must go out it should at least be in a blaze of vengeful glory, not a moment of inattentive driving.)

• Agree x 1
  20. keltena

I suppose going two whole chapters without Ortega's interference was too much to hope for. At least she didn't walk in on us this time?

> Only one person has this number…Ortega.

There is only one person who has this number, and that is Ortega. You had to get a cheap burner phone so she could stay in touch.

The phone is a compromise you don't like, but the alternative would be worse. If you didn't have it, chances are she would just try to seek you out in person. And this is far safer.

Controlled access.

You pull off your helmet, casting a glance towards the man on the chair. He still hasn't moved, showing no sign that he heard the phone ring. Good.

"Yes?" You answer the phone, not bothering to hide the irritation in your voice. You've been dodging Ortega for the last week. But right now, bolstered by the suit, you feel confident enough to stop hiding.

"Josie?" Ortega's voice sounds distant.

"Of course. Did you think someone had stolen my phone?" It feels unreal to stand here flexing your left hand, feeling the joints shift as you move your fingers.

"Maybe, since you haven't been answering it lately." Is that worry or reproach in her voice?

‣ "I've been busy."
     ‣ "I've been sick."
     ‣ "Not everybody is glued to their phone, you know."
     ‣ "What do you want?"

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

██████████▒█████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice