Kintsugi Plays Fallen Hero: Retribution (50 First Therapy Appointments)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by keltena, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

>Tip that hat. What is being a villain good for if not snarkiness.

also down for ragging on the bodyguard position tho, will gladly swap if we end up at a tie.

2. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

I'm declaring it LP canon that we tip our invisible hat sarcastically while saying this:

> "Didn't picture you as a bodyguard for a crooked politician."

"Didn't picture you as a bodyguard for a crooked politician," you say, shaking your head in disappointment. You have to admit it stings a little. You always thought Steel was above being bought, but it looks like he's the same as everyone else.

Money talks.

"I care very little what you think of me." Steel's voice is controlled. He's wearing combat armor like you are, not his heavy military one for the huge threats, but the midrange one for patrols and flexibility. Armored. Fast. Missiles. A short-range plasma cutter. No dampeners, but his mind is hard to read, especially since you don't want to go deep and risk him recognizing who you are.

"I suppose it's not surprising that the Marshal is as crooked as everybody else in this city." You're on the balls of your feet, ready to move the moment he does. "Only fair I give you the treatment the rest of your team got."

"Talk, talk," he says, the sigh heavy as the missile panel slides open.

Behind him, you hear Carter protest loudly: "No! Don't you dare mess up my house!"

The Marshal doesn't hesitate, and the missile flies toward you. You're ready for it, activating the jump-jets, you leap past them to the next landing.

The explosion rocks the stairwell, Steel shielding Carter with his body, but you can feel his distress about the destruction. At the fact that the Marshal just ignored his command. Ignored him! The indignity!

Is that a hint of smugness you feel from Steel?

Maybe. Maybe just a hint.

"You should leave, Mr. Carter." Yes, there is that smugness leaking out, but if you hadn't spent too many years dissecting Steel's moods, you would have missed it. "I'll hold Anathema off."

There's a moment of hesitation when you think Carter might defy the command, then his eyes shift to you, and he turns and flees through a side door. No matter how satisfactory that is, it's also annoying. You can't let him get away. Is there another way to the roof? Probably. It's a big mansion.

‣ I need to take out Steel fast to catch Carter.
     ‣ I'll bypass Steel to grab Carter and get out of here.
     ‣ Fuck, this is bad. I did not plan for Steel.
     ‣ I've been looking forward to this!

There goes our target. Thoughts?

CLASSIFIED

Subject: Anathema

Secret Identity: Josie Jacobs
    Description: A tall mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short and styled curly dark brown hair.

They have a short, scruffy beard and mustache.

Standard of Living: Josie is comfortable.

Josie Jacobs is a seasoned, tech-savvy tactician.

Physical Status
    Stamina: You are rested.
    Willpower: You feel calm.
    Injuries: You are fine, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy
    Strength of Mind: 50%
    ████████████████████
    Subtle Manipulations: 74%
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    Anathema runs a criminal syndicate.

Infamy: 47% / Obscurity: 53%
    █████████▒██████████

Armored Suit
    Anathema's suit is a shadow with a mirror for a face, revealing nothing. The cape conceals and obfuscates what's underneath.
    In its left hand, the suit has a neutered colony of nanovores, functionally similar to having disintegration touch. The suit is also equipped with telepathic boosters and enhanced speed as well as jump-jets.

Armor Status
    Need Repair: 0% / Fine: 100%
    ████████████████████

Leadership: 28%
    █████▒██████████████

Psychological Profile
    Arrogance: 26% / Anonymity: 74%
    █████▒██████████████
    Ruthlessness: 39% / Empathy: 61%
    ███████▒████████████
    Daring: 50% / Caution: 50%
    ████████████████████

Back in the day, Sidestep was known as a vigilante working with the Rangers.

Main Puppet
    Name: Barbara
    Puppet Status: She is fine, and has no serious wounds.
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    Josie's Relationship with Ortega: Friend and ally.
    Ortega's Connection with Josie: 83%
    ████████████████▒███
    Ortega thinks Anathema has made some good points.

Barbara's Relationship with Ortega: Flirting.
    Ortega's Connection with Barbara: 59%
    ███████████▒████████

Dr. Mortum
    Barbara's Relationship with Dr. Mortum: flirting.
    Mortum's Connection with Barbara: 65%
    ████████████████████

Lady Argent
    Josie's Relationship with Lady Argent: Distant.
    Lady Argent's Impression of Josie: 1%
    ███████████████████
    Lady Argent thinks Anathema is a cheater.

Marshal Steel
    Josie's Relationship with Steel: Former ally.
    Steel's Connection with Josie: 24%
    ████▒███████████████

Herald
    Josie's Relationship with Herald: Distant.
    Herald's Connection with Josie: 20%
    ████████████████████
    Herald thinks Anathema is a villain.

Other Characters

3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Oh he's totally been fantasizing about exploding this guy's mcmansion since he got here.

100%

Anyways, I think Steel kicks our ass any day of the week, so let's just go around him?

4. keltena

Really, can you even call it malicious compliance when they specifically requested the guy with military-grade explosives?

• Agree x 2
  5. Loq

>Bypass him, go grab the target.

6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Hmmmm. 1st or 2nd option. Swirl has been looking forward to this - and is enjoying the good Marshall's malicious compliance - but Anathema has not. So not the 4th option (we didn't pick hero hunter) and not the 3rd - I assume there's general plans in case of a run-in with Steel, even if tonight's plans didn't account for him.

7. keltena

Great seeing you, Marshal, but we already had plans.

> I'll bypass Steel to grab Carter and get out of here.

Marshal Steel is not Herald, not even Ortega, where even though she's skilled, it's still mostly flesh. Steel's armor is durable. You know that. There is no way you can take him down fast, and you have no interest in him right now. Only Carter.

All you need to do is to get past him.

You know Steel is not going to move first. That's not his style. Analyze and deflect: the missiles were just an opening move, pawns taking the field to see what your reaction would be. Not something truly meant to stop you.

It's your countermove that will determine his tactic, so you'd better make it count.

You think you know what loadout he has picked, but that's only from the external tells. Who knows what's hiding beneath that shell?

"So you're the one sent to kill him." Marshal Steel's voice is slightly metallic beneath his helmet, but his modulators are not made to mask his voice like yours are. "I didn't think you were the type."

‣ "What?" I can't hide my surprise.
     ‣ "You know nothing of me," I hiss angrily.
     ‣ "Don't try to bait me, Marshal; I know your tricks."
     ‣ "I'm not a killer; I'm insulted you'd think I am."

…excuse me?

CLASSIFIED

Description: A tall mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short and styled curly dark brown hair.

Physical Status
    Injuries: You are fine, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema

█████████▒██████████

Armored Suit
    Anathema's suit is a shadow with a mirror for a face, revealing nothing. The cape conceals and obfuscates what's underneath.
    In its left hand, the suit has a neutered colony of nanovores, functionally similar to having disintegration touch. The suit is also equipped with telepathic boosters and enhanced speed as well as jump-jets.

Armor Status
    ████████████████████

█████▒██████████████

Psychological Profile
    █████▒██████████████
    ███████▒████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ████████████████▒███

███████████▒████████

Dr. Mortum
    ████████████████████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ████▒███████████████

Herald
    ████████████████████

Other Characters

8. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Hmm... the first one. I want Steel to start questioning his info, and the first and last seem like the clearest ones for that. But the last one would probably feel hypocritical after the museum. Also I want to see surprised Josie.

• Agree x 1
  9. swirlingflight

Not to mention, sent? Sent by whom? An aspiring mob boss works for themself

(And not otherworldly entities at keyboards, nor whatever else lurks in Josie's past... right ?)

• Like x 1
  10. keltena

Hey, this LP thread certainly hasn't voted to assassinate any politicians yet. Unless Josie's been communing with Twitch behind our back, surely we can rule that one out?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  11. keltena

> "What?" I can't hide my surprise.

"What?" You can't hide your surprise. Where did he get that from? That's not who you are? What you do?

"I must admit that when Carter told me someone had threatened to kill him, I did not think it would be you." A brief pause, never taking his eyes off you. "Looks like the rumors were right."

"You should know better than to listen to rumors." You raise your fists in a challenge, wondering where that information came from. Inaccurate, you're not here to kill, not when you can get more use out of the living.

Enough talk, time for action.

You know you need to take the initiative, so you do, cautiously descending the stairs. He's got the range, and you don't. Ready to jump back at a moment's notice, you focus on using the awkwardness of fighting in a staircase to your advantage. You're faster, you know that. Your blows won't hurt, but this is just to get in position.

Steel's retaliation strike comes in low, the fist heavy enough to dent your armor, had it connected. You slip back with liquid grace, moving outside Steel's reaction arc. At least the one you surmised he had.

Someone has gotten an upgrade.

His arm sweeps out, the angle inhuman, shoulder joints of metal lacking the limitations of flesh.

The blow hits you straight in the throat, and the impact causes you to gasp even through your armor. Gasp. Not choke.

> This Will Be Fun

Fighting Steel is not like fighting Ortega, and even less like fighting Argent. It's a game of chess, moves following each other, faster and faster as if your clock were running out of time.

Perhaps it is.

You've had two months to get comfortable in your armor; he's had decades. He has the United States government footing the bill, bringing the expertise, and you have what? An eccentric scientist? A bunch of rats?

Dr. Mortum will be pleased your armor is holding up well. When Steel's blows hit, it diffuses the impact, and when yours do the same…perhaps it hurts? You're not sure, Steel is hard to read at any given time, and underneath his helmet, it's impossible.

It's a thrill to be able to match him blow for blow, but there's something that bothers you.

You still haven't used your greatest weapon. Neither has he.

Why?

You know there are more dangerous missiles integrated into his shoulder mounts and a close-range plasma welder in his fist. Things used to crack open armor heavier than yours, and yet he's only fired stunners. Is he afraid of killing you? Is he obeying Carter's instructions and keeping the collateral damage down? Does he really think he can take you down without breaking out the big guns? If so, he's mistaken.

At the back of your mind, the Rat King chitters encouragements; in your palm, the nanovores rest impatiently.

You could end this right now. You could reach out and devour his armor. And his mods.

Maybe that's what's stopping you. How would you make the nanovores separate the armor from the man? Steel is reliant on cybernetics to function; it's not just mods for mods' sake.

You could kill him if you miscalculated even a little. Would you care?

‣ I would care.
     ‣ It's a risk I have to take if I want to beat him.
     ‣ No, but I'm not sure they could crack the armor in time.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status
    Injuries: You are bruised, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema

█████████▒██████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ████████████████████

█████▒██████████████

Psychological Profile
    █████▒██████████████
    ███████▒████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ████████████████▒███

███████████▒████████

Dr. Mortum
    ████████████████████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ████▒███████████████

Herald
    ████████████████████

Other Characters

12. Loq

>No, but it wouldn't be fast enough. Eyes on the prize, Josie, Carter's getting away.

13. swirlingflight

Hmmm. I think it's not just where he punched that's bruised, it's our ego too. Where does he get off accusing us of intent to murder? We would care, if only to not prove these slanderous rumors right afterall. Not to mention, yeah, ticking clock. What if someone who planted that rumor in order to delay us long enough to kill him before we get our info?

• Agree x 1
  14. keltena

(My current mental image is of Josie just standing there, arguing with themself about whether they'd care if they accidentally killed Steel, which is delightfully on brand.)

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. keltena

After a heated internal debate, we've settled (for now) on the conclusion that…

> I would care.

You would care. You're not a killer, and that includes Marshal Steel. Whatever grudges you've had in the past, you don't want to see him dead.

Right?

He's not your friend. He's your enemy. He's in the way of your goals. You just don't want to kill people. Even him.

You need another way to stop him… preferably without resorting to telepathy and the risk of revealing yourself.

Maybe…

BOOOOOM!

The explosion rocks the building, large enough to shift the entire staircase as the structure buckles, part of the house collapsing into rubble. You and Steel struggle to remain on your feet, but it's not the structural damage that makes you stumble.

It's the screams.

Screams desperate enough to cut through your mental shields, panicked, hurt, some fizzling out too fast, there's a fire! You shake your head, people are trapped. Rubble has blocked the exit and the fire is closing in on them.

"What did you do?" The Marshal's shields crack, at last, revealing his anger at having allowed himself to be distracted. This is the museum, all over again. People are hurt, and the rest of the team is not available. This is all on him. The building is burning, civilians are in danger, and Marshal Steel is just one man.

Alone. Without backup. That changes things.

‣ "Go save them, Marshal, I won't interfere."
     ‣ "Fuck! This wasn't me. I swear." I hold up my hands.
     ‣ "Out planned you," I lie, "deal with it or deal with me. Your choice."
     ‣ "People are trapped. We need to get to them fast." I take charge.
     ‣ "Took advantage of an opening," I brag as I resume the fight.

Well then.

Should we try to clarify that
    we didn't explode anyone here/claim it was totally part of our plan, or just let Steel assume what he will as long as it gets him out of our hair?

Or is getting those civilians to safety more urgent than chasing after Carter? (I suppose it's also possible we've had a sudden change of heart and now
    want to keep fighting.)

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema

█████████▒██████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ████████████████████

█████▒██████████████

Psychological Profile
    █████▒██████████████
    ███████▒████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ████████████████▒███

███████████▒████████

Dr. Mortum
    ████████████████████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ████▒███████████████

Herald
    ████████████████████

Other Characters

16. Loq

>go get 'em, tiger and let me grab your real mark

• Agree x 2
  17. swirlingflight

Not the distraction we arranged, but the distraction we can use

• Agree x 1
  18. keltena

Nothing like a conveniently-timed explosion to resolve our internal conflict!

> "Go save them, Marshal, I won't interfere."

"Go save them, Marshal, I won't interfere." You take a step back, holding up your hands. You don't want people getting killed. Even if it's not your fault. Steel can save them, so they don't have to be on your conscience.

"This was an underhanded blow." It's an angry growl, but just as you suspected, the Marshal decides that dealing with trapped civilians is more important than stopping you.

"Let the guards know I knocked some of them out on the way. Might want to check in with everyone so they don't miss any stragglers."

"Why are you doing this?" he asks, but you both know he's not getting an answer. And that he will make sure to do as you asked.

"You'd better hurry." You stand your ground as he backs away far enough that he can rush toward the disaster without risking leaving you an opening. He doesn't trust you not to stab him in the back. Probably wise.

Time to find Carter.

You race up the stairs, two steps at a time, ignoring the cracks and the flashback to other stairs in other buildings. You're better now, faster. Carter's mind is a beacon near the top, and fuck! Is that a helicopter incoming? Trying to land?

Not good. Not good at all.

BOOOOM!

Another explosion throws you against the side of the stairwell, a smaller one this time, but if it's destabilizing the building…

‣ I hurry, running as fast as I can.
     ‣ I pause, forcing Carter to jump off the roof. He'll live. Probably.
     ‣ I pause, forcing the helicopter pilot to turn around and fly away.

Our target's still there—for now. Do we hurry to reach him, try to force him off the roof before either the helicopter or the collapsing building can get him, or try to chase away the helicopter first?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema

█████████▒██████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ████████████████████

█████▒██████████████

Psychological Profile
    █████▒██████████████
    Ruthlessness: 36% / Empathy: 64% (+3)
    ███████▒████████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ████████████████▒███

███████████▒████████

Dr. Mortum
    ████████████████████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ████▒███████████████
    Marshal Steel thinks Anathema needs to be brought in.

Herald
    ████████████████████

Other Characters

19. Loq

>YEET THE MAN
    misery loves company after all, there's not even a window involved

20. swirlingflight

Thanks Marshal

• Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice