Basically Just Bad Puns (and Achilles): Classics Thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by peripheral, May 10, 2016.

1. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I personally have only studied Latin but come here to geek out over the wonder that is old af languages :D

• Like x 1
  2. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

Okay, so fun fact about my high school Latin club: every year our club shirts were printed with a different iteration of the same terrible joke. The idea was that someone would ask what it said, and you would say (for example) "This is my Latin shirt" and then they would say "I know, but what does it say?"

There was also "It's all Greek to me" and my personal favorite, the one I still have one of: "if I told you, I'd have to kill you."

• Like x 8
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

*breaks down the door*

DO YOU HAVE A MOMENT TO TALK ABOUT OUR HIGH KING THE LONG-HANDED LUGH? Took up an oath with a friend of mine to study Old Irish till next Samhain. Done some brief looking at the grammar and looking up words. I've begun my fucking with the names and titles of things I like into the language too to some degree. For example Darksun Gwyndolin has ended up as Donngrían Findáinne mac Finn. My plot is to learn enough of the language to be able to make a dedication to the gods in it by next Samhain.

I also study Pali, which is the liturgical language of Theravada Buddhism. I can read bits of it now and was able to come up with an homage chant for Guanyin in the language. Namely "Namo sayya bodhisatti mahamati avaloketayaya" or "Homage to her, the bodhisatta, the great mother, the Lady who Watches over the World".

My knowledge of Latin is pretty much entirely based off what I know of the romance languages. I also know snippets of Sanskrit, Gaulish, and Old Welsh for similar reasons.

Old Irish is fun because part of the texts typically used for translation when learning are from the Táin. So lots of dick jokes, shit jokes, and so on. Pali meanwhile all the textbooks are basically full of the abuse of dogs, slaves, and women and it's honestly very depressing but after a point it becomes ridiculous and you laugh about it. Or at least I do.

4. plant guardian

plant guardian Local Sword Gremlin

So I do HEMA, which you may or may not know. It is Historical European Martial Arts and we simulate historically accurate murder on eachother. We do this by reconstructing techniques from fightbooks. I do longsword so I want to learn medieval german so that I can read our manuals.

• Like x 3
  5. Aondeug

I want to be involved in HEMA but never had the chance as of yet. Being who I am I've most interest in things from the Gaelic islands where that is concerned. I guess other countries are neat and what not but it would partly be a devotional act for me.

6. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

• Like x 1
  7. Aondeug

HELL FUCKING YES.

8. plant guardian

Also my school does scottish highland broadsword

• Like x 1
  9. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

*camps out w/marshmallows and an intense interest*

10. plant guardian

Oh sweet is this my invitation to info dump about swords? If so I must do my school proud.

• Like x 1
  11. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

Oh my god oh my God we have to recite part of the Aeneid for Latin I am so hype

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice