Beautiful design!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Fish butt, May 17, 2015.

1. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

So I just saw that the MoMA is holding a Yoko Ono retrospective. I'm not really a great fan of Yoko Ono, but that's mainly because I don't really know much of her work, and the work that I've seen doesn't really speak to me as much. But I'm not writing because of that, but because the MoMA design store is selling a bunch of teacups she designed and they are fantastic!

http://www.momastore.org/museum/mom...Cups_10451_10001_209119_-1_26680_64662_208917

I love product design, and I love it even better when art and product design get together and have a healthy baby. The idea of breaking cups to symbolise to traumatic historical events, and then using the art of Kintsugi to repair them I find is a beautiful idea! Even better is the one unbroken cup that says 'This cup will never be broken as it will be under your protection.' It creates a kind of expectation and tension on the one using it, and so they will treat that cup with more care perhaps than the others, but then that tension gets even better, because why would you treat the one unbroken cup better? Aren't the broken, and therefore much more interesting cups deserving of your care? But is it worth to constantly nourish old scars if you cannot move on and take care of the new generation - the unbroken cup!

I'm sorry, I'm just gushing over this thing, but I loved it so much that I really wanted to share it with all of you. Now I really want to see this retrospective and get to know Yoko better! :D

• Like x 2
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh wow, I normally find Yoko Ono to be obnoxious, but...this is actually really awesome.

• Like x 1
  3. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

@Acey I know right? I've seen work of her before and I never really could get into it, but this is great! I think I'll go tomorrow or thursday to see if there's more like this at her expo.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice