Cheese Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Vierran, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

Tell us about your favorite cheeses! Favorite ways to eat cheese! Talk about cheeses you want to try! Ask for recommendations! Enjoy cheese!

I'm a huge fan of goat cheeses myself. Especially the fresh ones with herbs and things. Yesterday, I had a sandwich with it and turkey and lettuce and it was great.

Also, ploughman's lunches with a crisp apple and a sharp, crumbly cheddar.

• Like x 3
  2. baskerville

baskerville Well-Known Member

babybel is the best honestly.... it's so good

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  3. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

Back when I lived in a housing cooperative, one of the best things was whenever we had a block of hard, salty extra-sharp white cheddar in the fridge. A good chunk of the groceries belonged to everyone, so I'd be shaving off bits of that cheese to put on basically everything I ate. The house was mostly vegan, so I went into dairy withdrawal a lot :P

• Like x 3
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ive got problems with cheese but im always ready to suffer for some good brie. Also mozzarella is love

• Like x 2
  5. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

brie cheese is sooooo good

and once i went to this cheese shop and they had cheddar with chives in it? good shit

• Like x 3
  6. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

yesss, brie. sweet, creamy, rich triple cream brie on fresh sweet baguette. stronger runnier brie on sourdough bread. brie with pears and prosciutto. goat brie. just, give me all of the brie please.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  7. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

so one of the primary features of the goddess I'm devoted to is her association with dairy. I get very hype about cheese.

currently craving: what my girl scout troop called "squeaky cheese-" the whole-cheese curds that you mostly find from Amish sellers around here.

• Like x 5
  8. Inkblot

Inkblot I'M GOING TO THE LOST CAUSE PIT, MA

Mozzarella. Mozzarella must go on everything because it is The Best. But really, you point me at any creamy mild cheese similar in taste and I will basically go nuts over it. Also, Colby.

• Like x 3
  9. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

I love provolooooooone. I love its mild taste and its texture.
    I hated Swiss cheese as a kid, but I love it now!

• Like x 1
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Chevre is my favorite. Also very sharp cheddar, mozzarella, feta, parmesan.... I can't do super funky or runny cheeses though, so I don't feel qualified to be a true Cheese Lover.

• Like x 2
  11. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

@Saro as the arbitrator of the cheese thread, I say you count, and your taste in cheese is excellent.

@Kit I am intrigued by dairy goddess. In high school, I briefly decided to develop a religion based around cheese. Guess I should have looked at what was out there already, first :)

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  12. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

@Saro I'm pretty picky about kinds of cheeses I like too - I have lots of likely ASD-related sensory and digestive issues, so exceedingly strong, oddly textured, or heavily spiced cheeses are Not My Thing. I consider myself an enthusiastic lover of cheese rather than any kind of connoisseur.

@Vierran I'm referring to Brigid (sometimes spelled Brighid, Brigit, etc). Somewhere in the mix of her ancient practices and the syncreticization of myth attributed to the Saint Brigit of the Catholic Church, her connection to dairy cows became A Big Deal.

• Like x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I once ate an extra sharp cheddar with a teeny tiny bit of peppermint in it from a grocery store sampler and it was ridiculously good. It sounds kinda like itd be gross but the peppermint really brought out that cheddar kick.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Like x 3
  14. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i like deep dish pissa with cheese stuffed crust. also mac n cheese (i like classic chedder, goat cheese, and gudyere or however you spell it)

i like mozzerella in a caprese salad and various sandwiches

i cant eat cheese on its own though... bleh

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  15. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I like mozzarella, cheddar, and fresh cheese (as in made at most the day before, anything past that triggers sensory issues). I can tolerate some other cheeses, but I can't stand most of them.

• Like x 1
  16. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

halloumi is a squeaky cheese! my mother makes it sometimes. it's unusual in that it reliably cooks without melting so you can fry it.

key word being reliably, mum once somehow accidentally set a normal cheese on fire trying to melt it. i...don't even know how you could manage to accidentally set fire to cheese.

ETA: my mother generally doesn't make cheese anymore because she buys full-fat, unpasteurized milk to make cheese out of and then it gets used for other stuff like drinks or cake.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    • Like x 3
  17. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

While I tend toward sharp, hard cheeses, I've never met a cheese I didn't like, with the exception of non-Roquefort blue cheeses because my mom was raised in Paris and only fed me real Roquefort when I was a kid, so I've become somewhat snobby about blues. I did find a very nice goat-blue once, though, and delighted in both the cheese itself and the indignation that my mom feigned when I told her about it.

• Like x 1
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I will eat anything so much as vaguely cheese flavored like the horrible goblin I am. My favorite cheeses though are queso fresco and Mexican parmesan though.

• Like x 3
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

On the subject of goddesses with strong associations to dairy cows...well I mean the Morrígan has one too. Death. War. Fear.

COWS.

• Like x 3
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Blessed are the cheesemakers

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice