Context-Dependent Sensory Issues?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Lambda, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

So, I have some sensitivities to some sensory stuff, but it's usually not a big problem, not meltdown worthy. But I'm starting to see a cycle of the same things happening in a specific situation, and it's bothering me. I'm in college, and I've always noted a preference for morning classes: I don't like getting up, but it's much better than the trial of Afternoon Classes. I've got a 3:00-4:15 bio-psychology class, this semester and... Late classes mean I'm tired+hungry+want to go home, with an added bonus of a tiny claustrophobic room+it's my hardest class.

Little things have been popping up, but when they're in combination, it's harder to deal with. It's not enough to make me freak out completely, but it's impacting my ability to pay attention and take notes. I get these weird issues with my hands: I can't deal with the feeling of holding a pen, or my fingers touching as I write, or the side of my hand against the paper. Typing notes doesn't really work for me, and this is the sort of class where you need to take notes, because a lot of the info is verbal and not on the available powerpoints. So when this happens, my handwriting gets wonky, or I slow down, or stop taking notes altogether. There are other things, like the fit of my clothing suddenly being too restrictive, and fidgeting a lot more than usual. Luckily I'm in the back row, so people don't really see me trying to rearrange my clothing or pulling at my hair. Dealing with this is draining too, so I don't have as much energy for homework or dinner when I get home.

I've been dealing with it mostly by scratching at my hands to try to get a different physical sensation, but I don't like that as a frequent strategy, because I have self-harm issues and don't want to encourage that. Dropping the class/getting a different time also isn't an option. Thoughts? :O

2. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Hmmm. How accessible is the textbook as a note-taking resource? Usually when I have a class where the lecture just Does Not Get Processed, I just call the lectures themselves a wash and take my notes from the textbook at a later time.

3. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Also even if you dont officially get accommodations, you might try just seeing who looks like they're taking good notes, explain to them your situation after class one day, and see if you can copy their notes. Its not much extra effort for them usually and most people are easily bribed with coffee or cookies or whatever.

Ooh also! If theres a texture you like you could try bringing that rather than scratching. Not autistic so take this or toss it as is useful, but i used to bring a scrap of satin along with me to stressful situations and rub it as a comfort thing.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. Lambda

It's okay, I guess? A little harder to understand than the lecture, and it excludes a few things, but I could do that. I just worry that the things in lecture and not in the textbook will be extremely important.

I wonder if having an item in one hand while writing with the other would cancel out the sensation in the latter. It'd have to be a strong stimuli, probably, which is why pain was the obvious choice. But if it was something really cold or sharp or something, it might distract me enough. Not really sure what, though.

5. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

I used to bring a tape recorder and record lectures along with taking notes, because sometimes my notes don't make much sense later. Then later I could listen to the lecture again and refine your notes.
    I've heard that some professors can be fussy about being recorded, but I've never had them have a problem with it.

• Like x 1
  6. Aya

Aya words words words

You know those foam squeezy-balls? I used to have one that was brain-shaped. All the bumps and stuff were kinda nice.

7. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Using a tablet with handwriting software might help, if the texture of the surface is a problem. The smooth feel of the surface is WAY different.
    And it has the advantage of automatically turning it into text that can be used in papers, organized in databases and spreadsheets, and link to other resources (really nice when what was said in class conflicts with what the real research says).
    And for those of us that don't talk, it can then be turned into speech for the people that won't read what you want to say :)

8. Lambda

I haven't figured out a way to make writing easier, as recording isn't allowed and a tablet is probably out of my price range, but I found that it did help a little to hold a bunch of coins in the other hand really tightly, which distracted from my writing hand.

But!

I shouldn't have even said this, because of course I had a semi-meltdown in an entirely different class, for a different sensory thing. Has anyone ever had an experience with being allowed to have (silent) headphones or earplugs during an exam? It seems reasonable to me, but he hasn't gotten back to me about it yet. He just had to switch it up and let people type their exams instead of hand-writing, and the typing was just. really loud and wormed its way into my head and destroyed all my other thoughts.

I'm in my last semester, so I don't know why I'm suddenly getting all these situations when I've never needed accommodation things before and am unlikely to get them.

9. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Stress? Stress will do it. Stress always does it for me.

10. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

Dude, I get a lot of that too, the hand sensory thing, the repressive clothing etc. There are a couple of things I do to prevent that in class:
    1. I bring snacks (usually pb&j or granola bars)- something for my hands to mess with a little and my brain to say oh hey energy! Gum also works.
    2. go to the bathroom at the halfway mark. I know it means missing some of class, but it gives you a breather and a chance move around (studies say you should move every 50 minutes or so) and someone will probably tell you what you missed while you were gone a couple of minutes.
    3. Doodle on your hand or margins of paper when fidgetty. Or start writing notes on your hand, might look weird though XD

Thats what I usually do... hope it helps!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice