Delicious in Dungeon! (Dungeon Meshi)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Saro, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

My current favorite manga, written and illustrated by Ryoko Kui. Pretty short, there are only about 25 chapters at the moment, but extremely good!

Synopsis: "Dungeons" are magically constructed areas rife with all sorts of RPG/DnD-ish monsters (slimes, mandragoras, dragons, and the like), where groups of adventurers go in search of the treasure that's said to lie in them. Our group, having lost three members (one to a dragon, two to other guilds) are determined to save the member who was eaten by the dragon. Their problem: they don't have the resources to but supplies for their journey. Solution: use the dungeon's resources!

It's basically a fantasy cooking manga with great art, an interesting premise and storyline, and (IMO) excellent characters. It's a lot of fun and has a good ratio of serious to lighthearted content. The food they make always makes me wish I were in a fantasy world so I could try my hand at it too.

Volume covers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(My avatar is also from the manga, there are some A+ reaction images to be found.)

Please read Dungeon Meshi, it's great.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    • Like x 3
  2. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

HELL YES, THIS SERIES IS SO GODDAMN GOOD

• Like x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

1) This is giving me EO2U flashbacks in the best way (even though I think it came first)
    and
    2)
    amazing.png
    I am probably going to be laughing about this for an entirely excessive amount of time.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's 2:30 AM and I'm giggling like a lunatic.
    a thing of beauty.png

• Like x 3
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Just caught up and omg laius is too relatable. My favorite page is the aforementioned frog one. I laughed really hard before I remembered its like midnight here

• Like x 1
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

motherfucker

my moirail has been trying to get me to read this for fucking weeks now

• Like x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The constant straight man form of joking might get a little tiresome, its how most if not all of the comedy is presented. The characters arent completely flat stock characters though, they have a nice depth to them if you go looking.

Also istg laius is on the spectrum, theres definitely a special interest in dungeon critters and cooking there, and hes totally hopeless with social cues.

• Like x 2
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Also his expressions tend to be kind of flat and samey no matter what hes feeling and if that isnt relatable i dont know what is.

9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

That's a really interesting point re: Laius! I hadn't really though about it, but now that you've mentioned it I'm totally on board.

• Like x 1
  10. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

>necros thread bc i just got my copy of vol 4 & i love this series

chilchuck is my favorite for reasons i can't really explain in words
    laios' pure unadulterated joy about monsters is Extremely Relatable
    senshi is ahuge cooking nerd & weirdly that reminds me of my dad in the best way
    marcille is the cutest & i mildly ship her and falin

also i really like the weird friendship bonding that happened between senshi & chilchuck over frying things

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It's so good and I think it's taken some pretty interesting turns! Like, it could have just been all cooking manga (each chapter is a new dish!) but instead there's more of an actual plot going on, and the not 100% sparkly goodness of the main characters is great. Gray morality in my cooking manga, I love it.

• Agree x 3
  12. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

i just finished v4 & it was excellent! i definitely agree with everything you said about the grey morality. i wanna know more about the dungeon & all the stuff going on with it, i hope the gnomes, the twins, & namari show up again
    what's up with falin tho

(i've only read the officially published/translated version, which is up to ch 23 i thing, just after the dragon, but i mmmmmay have to seek out more because the next one isn't coming out till may :msap:)

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice