Every wall has two sides: Re-reading LeGuin's "The Dispossessed"

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rigorist, Feb 24, 2017.

1. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

This may be my favorite book. A good case can be made that "The Left Hand of Darkness" is a better book--for one thing it has an actual story--but "The Dispossessed" is my favorite. I've probably read it a dozen times and I get something new out of it each time.

More thoughts to come as I read it again.

• Like x 3
  2. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

is that the one with the exoplanet thing that is way too small? (I vaguely remember that one planetocopia world mentions that it's a tribute to a world from some anarchist book which had an interesting exoplanet but the only distances given implied that it was far too small for the gravity etc.)

3. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

This is fortuitous timing as I'm going to be rereading it soon myself.

/camps in thread

4. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Quick thought on LeGuin's work in chapters 1 and 2.

She does a very interesting thing with both chapters. They both start in the present tense as descriptions of a place--in chapter 1, the wall around the port of Abbenay, in chapter 2, a nursery. She then seamlessly slides into the usual third-person past tense description of the thoughts of our viewpoint character. The whole thing is done so subtly that you don't even notice it.

• Like x 1
  5. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

Oh my god, LeGuin! I ended up writing a paper about The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness for a class because we read the first for class and I found the second. Also check out The Lathe of Heaven sometime :o

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice