Funny Post From Long Ago

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by seebs, Mar 5, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, many years ago, rigs and I were both on a forum, where a number of users had accused us of being sock puppets or something because of our near total agreement on every possible issue. (Sarcasm, that.) One year, on April 1st, we simultaneously admitted to being each others' sock puppets. I found the text of mine. The beautiful thing is that at least some people then took this as evidence of the truth of the claim.

---
    What with Easter almost upon us, I think it's time for me to start working towards some reconciliation, and start by coming clean.

CaDan/rigorist is, as many have suspected, one of my many sock puppets. The idea seemed harmless enough at first, but it's gotten entirely out of hand. While the opportunity to continue socializing with many of my friends in OBOB, even under the more restrictive rules since adopted, has been a comfort and a respite to me, I do not feel that the action can be justified. The undue influence I gain over the Wiki through having two roles in its development is far too disruptive. Furthermore, the unfettered access to senior staff forums the Wiki staff position grants me has led many people to unfounded speculations about security holes in ChristianForums.

The internet apperances of "CaDan" date back to the times when I needed a second opinion on some issues; I found myself arguing alone against a crowd, and needed to know whether my position was rational, or even sane; it seemed obvious that a sock puppet would be the best way to assuage my concerns. Furthermore, he helped me keep my post count from seeming unusually large.

In fact, this has been going on longer than many of you might realize; in reality, it started in 1982, when I spotted an ad on the inside of a matchbook cover. "If you can write a legal brief that gets Skippy out of jail on parole, you can pursue a correpsondence course in internet law!" All I needed was a plausible alias and a stamp (bought with my allowance) and I was on my way!

Since then, it's been a long road to walk, and I've sometimes had second thoughts. I was doubly blessed to discover St. Joan of Arc, whose priest was quite supportive of my interest in correspondence-course RCIA, and paid out of his own pocket the extra fees for mailing my first Eucharist by certified mail, return receipt requested. The option of "attending" a church entirely through the U. S. Mail system kept me from profaning a sacred place with my ill-considered humor.

I have to apologize to all the people who have been hurt by this prank. To the members of the Wiki staff, who thought they were dealing with an apostate pseudopagan "Catholic", when they were in fact dealing with an apostate pseudopagan "Quaker", I'm sorry. To Andrea, "Steve's" wife of the past eight years, I'm sorry. I am not apologizing to He-marv, She-marv, and Jake, who don't care as long as they get their cat food.

Please, taking the season into account, forgive me.

• Like x 19
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

For April 1st of this year, I suggest "Everyone on this forum is a sockpuppet of Seebs, except for you".
    (Don't actually do that, for obvious mental health reasons.)
    also I kept typing sockpuppers

• Like x 3
  3. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Seebs oh my god

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice