General CAT-ter (The Beanery)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Saro, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 2
  2. Birdy

Birdy so long

oh wow, are his eyes really that blue??

non-white, non-colorpoint cats with blue eyes are extraordinarily rare. solid cats with blue eyes were thought to be genetically impossible until a blue-eyed female with a novel mutation was found in a randombred population in New Mexico. Since then, such blue-eyed cats have been found a couple times in unrelated randombred populations, but it’s still very unusual. These cats are usually called Ojos Azules.

• Informative x 12
    • Like x 2
  3. boop

boop beepbeep

i love him

• Agree x 9
  4. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

Cat genetics are fascinating. We've got a small colony of around 15 that roam my neighborhood that I'm friends with. I've watched them for several generations now and they've really started to change colors. They started out all solid black or tortie with really short fur. Then they had a couple calico kittens that sadly didn't live long. The third group of kittens where mostly black and white patterned. Now we've got some orange tabbies and more calicos, and one really random Siamese colored one.

There are also several long haired cats now and their eye colors are changing too. They where originally all yellow but now almost all of them are a blue green color. They're also getting smaller too the newest members are absolutely tiny.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Like x 6
    • Winner x 3
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Agree x 4
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

@Saro No random silly FFXIV item is complete without the flavor text:

• Winner x 4
  7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 1
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Exemplary purr... Good rumble, good duration, very cute... Also as a calico she has stolen my very heart and surrounded it in purrs

• Agree x 7
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  10. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

IMG_6749.PNG Boo made a really good face yesterday

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 2
  11. shmeed

shmeed plant me

• Winner x 9
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

In honor of our -1 temp last night, here is a very wintersome cat in a tree

501b38e3-4b44-43bf-980f-028d36e16d06.jpg

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 4
  13. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

that should be a christmas card

• Agree x 14
  14. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

Cat politics, courtesy of Eric S. Raymond:
    < Housecats and their near relatives in the wild (felix lybica and felix sylvestris) are not solitary animals. Some of the larger cats are, outside of mating; but the felids related to housecats (which still interbreed freely with their domesticated kin where the ranges overlap) tend to live in smallish groups composed of a handful of mature females and their offspring.

< Being adapted for living in groups makes sense. Small cats in the wild are dangerously exposed to predation, not least by larger cats; the usual benefits of having peers on alert while you’re sleeping apply.

< It follows that cats have well-developed social instincts about each other. They don’t merely tolerate each others’ presence if a human happens to be keeping more than one, they form actual peer bonds. This is easy to miss because much cat peer signalling is not obvious to humans; in particular, cats don’t have to be in eye-to-eye contact to be interacting.>
    http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7825

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 3
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Winner x 8
  17. Everett

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 1
  18. Everett

• Winner x 6
  19. Everett

There are more images of the cat no banana cat... her human has a twitter at twitter.com/orthoraccoony

Can't insert images right now because i'm on my phone

• Informative x 1
  20. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Winner x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice