How do you get diagnosed?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Alska, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

-

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

No. Something about that strikes me as significantly off. If nothing else, I would try to ask about a diagnosis and go from there. What kind of things do you talk about during your sessions?

It disturbs me that they wouldn't probe for more information

3. yeah, that's. not really how it's supposed to go, i don't think.

4. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

That is not normally how things work. Not even close. It sounds like you are seeing the kind of doctors/therapists that treat soccer moms for imaginary conditions and don't consider there might be people who have real problems.
    A real doc will ask LOTS of probing questions EVERY time you see them. They will not wait for you to say things, unless they know you well and you are the kind of person that opens up easily.
    If your doc is just asking general "how are you", "what are you here for" questions and doesn't go deeper - you don't have a doc, you have a person that likes collecting money from insurance companies.

5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

this information (except for first post) is kinda shocking to me, all my experience with doctors has been of the "how are you, ok here's your meds, goodbye" variety. just this constant feeling that they don't give a fuck. it's the nurses and case workers that actually ask all the questions. i've been to lots of different people in two different states, so. idk. i'm either incredibly unlucky with doctors or i'm just getting what every other dirt poor sucker gets.

• Like x 1
  6. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

My standard doc visit starts:
    Doc: So how are you feeling?
    Me: Fine/okay.
    Doc: Now that the social niceties are done, how are you really feeling?

• Like x 2
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i had one guy i went to who gave me something i ended up being allergic to, and when i went in a couple days later (after we figured out why i was violently ill and breaking out in hives) he was just like "uhhh... your next appointment isn't for three months, can't you just keep taking it or take nothing?"

it was a random dude who did assessments who came out and helped me find somewhere else to try, and we found someone else after a while. it's always been nurses or other people who gave a rat's ass, the doctors literally have no time to talk and make sure you're okay because the system's so flooded ime. shit's fucked.

i actually do really like my current doctor b/c even though i've never had a session longer than 5 minutes with her, if i'm just super up front with her about my meds and how they're treating me and if she can give me options for something else for so and so side effect or if i need to suck it up she gets what i need done. my best advice with these people is: make a list beforehand about what you need addressed.

some things you might ask:

• ask if you can have a copy of your official diagnosis. i actually was in the same boat as you when i started this mess and i had no idea that i did have i diagnosis because i did the same as you where i went in and made noises and they just started handing me meds. there's a good chance something is written down somewhere, and you can ask questions about it.
    • tell them about the sleep thing and if there's anything they can do. ask about side effects of whatever your currently on, sometimes the doctor themself will be a little more help than google.

• Like x 1
  8. yay! that's great news!

• Like x 1
  9. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Some therapists are not the collect-money-from-rich-soccer-moms type, but nevertheless have this weird wishy-washy attitude to diagnosis where they think it's a 'distraction' and that the patient doesn't need to know about a diagnosis (and doesn't need a dx even written down on paper anywhere, even somewhere that the patient won't see) because it's 'not important' and they'll focus on the label instead of on getting better.

It's weird and it's not technically Against The Rules but it's also not good clinical practice.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice