Kintsugi Plays Fallen Hero: Rebirth

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by keltena, Dec 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Honestly I forgot I hadn't already voted... regret?

2. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

> A lump of regret—I wish I could have handled things differently.

"Maybe I should have," you admit with a small sigh. And maybe they even would have helped. Even if they knew the truth. But that's water under the bridge by now. You can't change the past. Only the future. "But I didn't."

"Are you still in trouble?" Ortega asks, her eyes narrowing in concern. Always so eager to come to the rescue.

"I'm fine," you say, dismissing the concern with a shrug. "Well, apart from the memories, but that's just the past. The past can't hurt me," you lie.

"I'm glad you're fine," Ortega says with a sigh. "But you could have at least sent us a message or something. We thought you were dead. I've spent the last seven years thinking about what I could have done differently. Why didn't you contact us?"

The reproach is there, shoved down your throat with a hurt glance. Part of you wishes you could tell the truth, expose this charade for what it really is. But that would mean giving up on what you have spent the last years planning, and you have sacrificed too much for that. What is one relationship compared to what you have to do? Dust in the wind.

But dust or not, there is still a woman seated across from you, waiting for an answer.

‣ "I was ashamed. It was such a relief not to have to do this anymore."
     ‣ "I was afraid to get back in action."
     ‣ I didn't want to risk involving you in my problems.

This is the problem with friends: the constant intrusive questions like, "What are you up to?" and, "Why did you fake your death and not tell me?"

Our mysterious enemies might be our best excuse, now that we've admitted we have them; Ortega can hardly fault us for wanting to protect her, right? Or we could blame our own weakness and drive in that we're no longer cut out for that life—she might ease up if we sound tortured enough about it.

CLASSIFIED

Secret Identity: Josie Jacobs
    Description: An average mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short, neat curly dark brown hair.

Josie Jacobs is a seasoned, tech-savvy tactician.

Physical Status
    Stamina: You are rested.
    Willpower: You feel calm.
    Injuries: You are fine, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy

Strength of Mind: 50%
    ████████████████████
    Subtle Manipulations: 62%
    ████████████▒███████

Standard of Living: You are comfortable.

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 0% / Obscurity: 100%
    ████████████████████
    Arrogance: 32% / Anonymity: 68%
    ██████▒█████████████
    Ruthlessness: 52% / Empathy: 48%
    ██████████▒█████████
    Daring: 54% / Caution: 46%
    ██████████▒█████████

Main Puppet

Name: Barbara
    Puppet Status: Fine.
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties, with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Josie's relationship with Ortega: old friend.
    Ortega and Josie: 77% (+2)
    ███████████████▒████

Barbara's relationship with Dr. Mortum: flirting.
    Mortum and Barbara: 49%
    █████████▒██████████

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    • Like x 1
  3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

> Such a relief, in the woobiest voice we can manage

• Agree x 2
  4. keltena

It's hard being a hero, Ortega. It's hard and nobody understands ;_;

> "I was ashamed. It was such a relief not to have to do this anymore."

"I was ashamed," you admit, cringing just a little to drive home the point. Her gaze softens, and you know you've hit the right note to get some sympathy. "When I woke up, my first thought wasn't to get back in the hero game. Or that I needed to contact my friends. It was relief. Relief that I was finally out. That I didn't have to do this anymore."

"Relief?" Ortega's single word is soft and filled with questions.

"I know." You fake a bitter smile. "That surprised me too. What kind of hero would feel like that? Was I just faking things?"

"You weren't," she interrupts, with more heat than you had expected.

"You don't know that," you snap back, the truth making your raise your voice again. "You don't know how I felt, how relieved I was that I didn't have to continue being Sidestep."

"You could have told us that you wanted to retire. You didn't have to pretend to be dead."

"No, I think I did." You look down at your clenched hands, not at her concerned face. "If I'd told you, I know you would have tried to talk me out of leaving. I would have stayed because I didn't want to disappoint you, and eventually I would have cracked under fire and got you killed. It was easier this way, letting you think that I was dead."

"Easier? For you maybe. I spent seven years thinking I'd caused your death." Ortega leans a little closer. You do not.

"I never wanted you to blame yourself," you protest, raising your voice a little. That part is true: it hadn't even crossed your mind that Ortega might have taken your death personally. "I thought you'd just…"

"Move on and forget you ever existed?" The words are sharp, and this time you look up and meet Ortega's eyes, a bit surprised at how good she still is at reading your mind.

You did think exactly that. That she still cares about you is a risk and an annoyance. You were meant to be forgettable.

"I wasn't the only one who died…."

"I know. We held a funeral for you and Anathema, but you were my friend, my best…" Ortega starts, brows arching in a vaguely displeased frown. But the look on your face stops the accusations in their track. You are so obviously not taking any pleasure from this that her anger gets derailed. "Josie. Are you sure you're fine? I know you said so, but you look like hell. I just…"

"I am fine," you lie. "I'm just living a quiet life now. Sidestep is dead."

It was just as well. The name was a stupid pun from the start, to let people think that your powers were based on martial arts rather than predicting your opponents' actions. With telepathy being an exceedingly rare gift, you couldn't take the risk of being found out, so only a select few people ever knew the truth about your powers—if not your past. Just like almost nobody knows about Ortega's epilepsy.

Once Dr. Mortum is finished, you will have to pick what your new name will be. Hopefully something a bit more imposing. You have a few alternatives going around in your head, but none of them have really felt right. Hopefully you will come up with one soon.

"Sidestep might be dead, but you are not." Ortega looks as if she's not sure she should continue, but does so anyway. "You're still a telepath, right?"

The question surprises you, and for a moment you're not sure what you should say.

Making up a lie that you have lost your powers seems as unlikely and risky as admitting that you still have them. Ortega believes you are a Boost, someone who took the hero drug and lucked out with a spin on the wheel of fate. If you implied that you had lost your powers…that would have consequences for other Boosts as well, and things could snowball. On the other hand, if you admitted to still being a telepath, you could end up as a possible suspect in the future.

‣ Yes, I am still a telepath.
     ‣ No, not anymore.

Well, there's an angle we hadn't considered. It would be a big lie to commit to, and the idea is kind of out there, but… it doesn't sound implausible that the Heartbreak incident could have permanently impaired a telepath.

Should we take the opportunity Ortega's handed us to establish ourselves as powerless? Or is the risk of this backfiring too great?

CLASSIFIED

Description: An average mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short, neat curly dark brown hair.

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██████▒█████████████
    ██████████▒█████████
    ██████████▒█████████

Main Puppet

Description: A tall white woman in her twenties, with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Ortega and Josie: 77%
    ███████████████▒████

█████████▒██████████

5. LadyNighteyes

MC: "I can't hear any thoughts about me, QED there aren't any. ...How would the fact that I can't read her mind be relevant."

• Agree x 2
  6. keltena

How were we supposed to guess she had object permanence??

• Agree x 4
  7. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I vote to lie and pretend we are totally not a telepath anymore

consequences for others be damned, let us avoid implication as much as possible

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

She could always think that we're lying, so it's not a guarantee against suspicion - especially not with the timing of Ortega showing up - but agreed, I wanna hang Chekov's gun on this wall

• Like x 1
  9. KarrinBlue

I kinda want to tell the truth on this one, I'm curious what Ortega will do

10. keltena

Quick check— @LadyNighteyes , is that like intended as a vote in favor of lying, or just a like? (Either is fine, I just can't tell if we're at 2-1 or 3-1 right now.)

11. LadyNighteyes

Just a like.

• Informative x 1
  12. keltena

Okay, looks like lying wins the day here. Being dead was a better alibi, but that cat's out of the bag. Hopefully we can keep this one in.

> No, not anymore.

You have an almost overwhelming urge to jostle the table and make her spill some coffee on her immaculate white suit. Who wears a white suit these days anyway, apart from people wanting to challenge fate itself?

"Not really," you say instead, shaking your head. "My powers, they're…" You pretend to hesitate, to sound properly tortured. "Maybe I blocked them from myself after what happened. I don't know. I don't care. And even if they were still there, I wouldn't use them again. I can't…not after…"

You make a vague gesture with your hand, trusting that Ortega will fill in the blanks as always. "Being head blind is better these days. Easier."

"I'm sorry." Ortega's face falls a little, and the pity there makes your hand twitch a little.

"What is it?" you find yourself asking, when the tension has built too much for you to stand.

"Part of me wishes you were the telepath you used to be," Ortega admits. "I could have used your help."

You are sure your mouth actually stops working for a moment before you manage to get out a confused, "What?"

"I know it's useless wishing things were different, but I just don't know who else I can trust." Suddenly Ortega looks her age, pushing forty with the wrinkles around her eyes to show it. That's not a considerable age for the Enhanced; in many cases, the augmentations and drugs coursing through their system keep them younger and fitter than is fair. As long as there is someone willing to sponsor their upkeep, the benefits of being a Ranger are second to none.

"We haven't met in years—you really sure you can trust me?" you manage to get out, paranoia crawling down your spine as you try to process this. Is this a trap? Does she suspect? What is she up to? Had she followed you here? Your heartbeat quickens, and you have to busy yourself with the coffee to stay in your seat.

"I am sure." Ortega looks straight at you, the words so simple and honest that you want to call the bluff. "Not that it matters now," she continues with a sigh.

The woman in front of you looks too tired and frail to be setting some sort of trap. Perhaps instead, this can be a bit of an opportunity. Smiling faintly, you say, "Why don't you tell me about it anyway?"

"Would it be all right if we talked somewhere safer?" Ortega fiddles with her cup. You can see the telltale signs of nervousness in the way her fingers refuse to stay still.

"Safer? Is it that bad?" Maybe it's her nervousness that does it, but you are finding yourself calming down. If this really were a trap, it would be an awkward way to go about it. And if she really needs help, well, it can't hurt to have a contact still in the hero game. As long as she doesn't suspect.

"Maybe. I don't know. It's just that it's not just my secret."

"Secret? Ortega, since when did you start having secrets?" The very thought is absurd; you were the one that had secrets, even back then.

"Well, to be completely honest, it's my friend… she's…"

"Friend?" you say, raising an eyebrow. You're feeling slightly…

‣ …amused. I can't help but tease her a little about her 'friend.'
     ‣ …confused. Am I supposed to know who she's talking about?
     ‣ …curious. Knowing more about Ortega's current friends could be useful.
     ‣ …annoyed. I really don't want to get involved in this, but…
     ‣ …jealous. Once I would have been that 'friend.'

Huh. What's this about?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██████▒█████████████
    ██████████▒█████████
    ██████████▒█████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

███████████████▒████

█████████▒██████████

13. LadyNighteyes

lol @ the implication that paranoia does not have a 100% permanent residence in MC's entire nervous system.

Anyway
    > confused

• Agree x 1
  14. keltena

Hey, that's not fair. It leaves when they sleep! …Assuming they aren't in their body at the time, I mean.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Or the paranoia is even more at home in that body than Josie

• Like x 1
  16. keltena

What does she think we are, a mind reader?

> …confused. Am I supposed to know who she's talking about?

"I'm starting this story at the wrong end, aren't I?" Ortega looks a little sheepish as she catches your look of confusion. "I'm sorry, it's been a while since I did this."

"Talked?"

"Talked to you." The breath that she takes is an audible one. "It feels like back in the good old days, and then I remember…"

"…That it's not." You look down for a moment, pushing away the emotions that threaten to overwhelm you.

"Just let me give her a call and check first, okay?" Ortega pulls out a phone from her pocket, making you smile a little at the size of it.

There was a reason her codename was 'Charge.' It was all too easy to ruin any electrical components she touched, so things had to be specially insulated if she wanted them to last. Hence the insulated brick of a phone.

"Angie?" Ortega is not talking loudly, but you are far too curious not to try to listen in. "Are you around this afternoon? Good. And the rest? Good…I was thinking about coming by, and—" She gives you a quick look before continuing. "I've met someone that might be able to give some input. Josie Jacobs."

You suppress a shiver. How long has it been since you heard that name?

"I know." Ortega shakes her head, still on the phone. "I know. I know, but… Would you be willing to—yes, I know. Yes…I know, that's why I'm calling you."

She sighs a little, waiting for the person on the other side to calm down. "Yes, of course I can vouch for them. I wouldn't suggest this otherwise."

Another pause, interrupted by an amused chuckle. "Yes, that Josie. Who else would it be? I know. That's a long story, but yes, very much alive. And retired. I just thought…yes, that's exactly why I suggested it. I'll see you in a while then."

You are quiet for a bit, waiting for Ortega to hang up.

"Are you okay over there?" Apparently you were quiet for too long—Ortega has leaned forward a little, looking worried.

‣ "Yes, I'm fine. Just thinking."
     ‣ I say I'm just hoping she isn't expecting too much.
     ‣ Is she sure her friend is okay with this?

Well, good of her to ask before sharing our secrets…? Anyway, we should probably say something.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██████▒█████████████
    ██████████▒█████████
    ██████████▒█████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

███████████████▒████

█████████▒██████████

17. LadyNighteyes

>don't expect too much, since we are, definitely, absolutely, not a person with superpowers at all

• Agree x 1
  18. keltena

Have we mentioned we're not a telepath? It's important that you not confuse us for one.

> I say I'm just hoping she isn't expecting too much.

"I don't know," you say, rubbing your head a little. "I just hope you don't expect too much from me, considering I'm not…" You make a vague gesture with your hand, and she sighs.

"It's okay. We're looking for advice more than anything. Even if you can't do anything anymore, you know more about how these things work." Ortega pays the tab, tipping generously. "Honestly, I'm just glad to have someone who knows anything about this to talk to."

Jeez, the moment someone knows you were a telepath they start bringing you all their psychic problems. Maybe that's why we didn't tell you we survived, Ortega!

"Someone?" you ask with a small smirk as you both stand up.

"Well," she starts, looking a little embarrassed. "If by someone, you mean you. I've missed you, Josie." The hug is such a surprise that you're not able to avoid it.

You suddenly find yourself pulled into a tight embrace, a gesture of affection that used to be common between you. Ortega is a very physical woman, and back then you quickly realized that you had to learn to deal with it. But that was years and years ago, and since then…have you even touched anybody like this?

Apart from accidentally brushing against strangers in a crowd, you honestly don't think so. Not in your own body. That makes you feel…

‣ …wistful.
     ‣ …awkward.
     ‣ …sad.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    Arrogance: 29% / Anonymity: 71% (+3)
    █████▒██████████████
    ██████████▒█████████
    ██████████▒█████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

███████████████▒████

█████████▒██████████

19. KarrinBlue

SAD
    Josie has been getting insufficient hugs in their life!

• Agree x 2
  20. keltena

:(((

> …sad.

You feel yourself tear up a bit, even though you curse your own weakness.

You shouldn't be so affected by this; if she knew the truth, she would back away in disgust. Ortega has no idea what she is hugging.

Maybe it would have been different if you had told the truth from the start. Maybe that could actually have changed things—or, more likely, it would have gotten you all killed.

She is the one who steps away first, and you both take a moment to collect yourself.

"I couldn't hug you when I first saw you," Ortega explains sheepishly. "You were sitting down."

"It's fine," you say dismissively, turning away just a little too fast. "Now, should we go meet your friend?"

Might as well get this over with, so you can set up a date with Mortum to deliver the money as soon as possible.

> One Cab Ride Later

There was a saying back at the Farm: never volunteer for anything. Right now, you regret not listening to that advice.

Just because you and Ortega used to be friends doesn't mean you are on the same side now. You need to remember that.

Why would you agree to help her out without asking for details? This could have been averted if only you had been a little bit more suspicious.

You need to remember that Ortega is not on your side anymore.

Fuck.

"What's wrong?" Ortega asks, looking a little worried, since you are suddenly rooted to the pavement where the cab let you off. You hope you didn't swear out loud.

"What…is this…?" You look up at the austere building which is looming over you, its sharp, modernist angles breaking up the sunshine into patterned shadows that cascade over the facade. There are far fewer windows than in a normal office building, and you know the ones that are there are reinforced against stronger things than recurring earthquakes.

It's an impressive building, sure, but that's not why you couldn't bite back your gasp. It is, above all, a familiar one.

You are looking up at the current headquarters of the Rangers, trying not to panic. Fuck indeed.

"Oh, I forgot you hadn't seen the new building." Ortega smiles and gestures towards the deceptively unguarded entrance. "Got finished about two years ago, finally got the backing to pull it off. They are sinking a whole lot more money into the Marshal system these days, or maybe Steel is just better at getting it than I was." The laugh has a faint tone of self-mockery, but you don't join in.

"I didn't know your problem involved the Rangers…." You know she's looking at you strangely, but you can't help yourself.

"I didn't want to talk in too much detail about it at the diner; you never know who's listening. Is that a problem?"

Your mouth is like dry ash, but you have to say something.

‣ "I just didn't expect it to have anything to do with the Rangers."
     ‣ "I thought it was just a favor for a friend."
     ‣ "I am retired and out of the hero business!"

The paranoia might not have permanent enough residence, actually??

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    Arrogance: 29% / Anonymity: 71%
    █████▒██████████████
    Ruthlessness: 47% / Empathy: 53% (+5)
    █████████▒██████████
    ██████████▒█████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

███████████████▒████

█████████▒██████████

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice