Kintsugi Plays Fallen Hero: Rebirth

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by keltena, Dec 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Chapter 5: Josie, in full masked villain costume, grabs a coffee en route to their Master Plan™. Somehow Ortega is the barista.

• Agree x 3
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I can smell the coffee shop au brewing

3. keltena

I think we're tied at one vote each for I miss her—even if it won't be real, maybe we can be friends again and I'll see what shape she's in, and whether she's got more mods. Anyone want to tiebreak / sell the thread on their preferred option / split the vote further, or should I consult with a coin?

4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I will put in my vote for 'see what shape she's in'

5. keltena

> I'll see what shape she's in, and whether she's got more mods.

It's been years since you last saw Ortega move in the flesh, and you can only learn so much from television screens. Training with her means you can see how she moves, and if you are lucky, you can pick up clues to new mods. Even though most of them are camouflaged with synth skin, they won't feel the same as real flesh.

A few well-placed punches should give you a better idea of what you are up against.

Maybe this is exactly what you need to clear your head, even if you have to wear a mask all the while.

As Ortega returns, you can feel your smile growing in anticipation of the fight ahead. Keeping your friends close but your enemies closer has never been more apt.

CLASSIFIED

Secret Identity: Josie Jacobs
    Description: An average mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short, neat curly dark brown hair.

Josie Jacobs is a seasoned, tech-savvy tactician.

Physical Status
    Stamina: You are rested.
    Willpower: You feel calm.
    Injuries: You are fine, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy

Strength of Mind: 50%
    ████████████████████
    Subtle Manipulations: 74%
    ██████████████▒█████

Standard of Living: You are comfortable.

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 0% / Obscurity: 100%
    ████████████████████
    Arrogance: 12% / Anonymity: 88%
    ██▒█████████████████
    Ruthlessness: 49% / Empathy: 51%
    █████████▒██████████
    Daring: 45% / Caution: 55% (+4)
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Name: Barbara
    Puppet Status: Fine.
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties, with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Josie's relationship with Ortega: old friend.
    Ortega and Josie: 74%
    ██████████████▒█████

Barbara's relationship with Ortega: flirting.
    Ortega and Barbara: 40%
    ████████████████████

Barbara's relationship with Dr. Mortum: flirting.
    Mortum and Barbara: 49%
    █████████▒██████████

Josie's relationship with Lady Argent: distant.
    Lady Argent and Josie: 0%
    ████████████████████

Josie's relationship with Marshal Steel: former ally.
    Marshal Steel and Josie: 24%
    ████▒███████████████

Josie's relationship with Herald: distant.
    Herald and Josie: 20%
    ████████████████████

With that, Ortega gets the dubious honor of being the first character to need two separate relationship values, and this thread gets the much less dubious honor of having finished chapter 4. :toot:

Next time: So, what
    is our master plan, anyway?

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  6. keltena

Eight Days Later

The world is dark. The blindfold smells faintly of disinfectant, or maybe that's just the air in here.

Dr. Mortum has been leading you by the hand for what feels like an hour now, though it is probably a fraction of that. Time passes differently when it's dark—you know this intimately.

Luckily, you are in Barbara's body, so it is easier to chase away the memories that threaten to resurface. Instead, you focus on trying to figure out where she is leading you.

A short drive at first, then the dank smell of the city. No direct sunlight, so you guess you might have gotten out of the car indoors—maybe in a warehouse, or a garage. Then there were stairs, and a corridor which smelled of chemicals. Underground somewhere, but where exactly, you have no idea. Not that it matters. Dr. Mortum can keep her secrets, as long as she delivers what was promised.

"Are we there yet?" you ask, echoing pop-culture references you never really were a part of.

"Indeed we are, ma chérie." A door closes and the fans begin to hum, erasing any lingering outside stench. "You can remove the blindfold now."

Pulling off the fabric, you can't help…

‣ …being annoyed at the inconvenience.
     ‣ …understanding the need for secrecy.
     ‣ …seeing the humor in the situation.

CLASSIFIED

Description: An average mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short, neat curly dark brown hair.

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    █████████▒██████████
    Daring: 45% / Caution: 55%
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Description: A tall white woman in her twenties, with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

█████████▒██████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

7. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

8. keltena

[insert PURPLE.png here]

> …seeing the humor in the situation.

"You're lucky I'm not carsick." You grimace a little, shaking your head to get your bearings back. "Would have hated to throw up all over your fancy car."

"Oh, that was my assistant's car—it would have been fine." Dr. Mortum smiles widely, waving away any worries.

…I hope Mortum pays her assistants very well.

"I didn't know you had assistants." You look around, but the two of you are alone in the lab.

"I can't handle all the business I get on my own, and I plan to stay in business for a very long time."

"Speaking of business…" You can't stop your eyes from widening as you step forward. Now that they have adapted to the light, it is impossible to overlook the centerpiece of the room. "Is that…?"

"Yes, yes it is." Dr. Mortum walks over to the massive holographic screen hovering there, running her hand through the air to zoom in on the armor schematics. The greenish light makes her normally warm black skin take on an odd midnight hue, and you find yourself wondering how Barbara would look surrounded by that glow. "Want to get a closer look?" she asks, as if she were reading your mind.

You nod quietly, stepping forward so you can be surrounded by the screens. The greenish beams scan your hand when you hold it out, tracing the pattern of an armored glove over it. This is it—what you have invested so much time and effort in. Your new face. Your new identity. Your new life.

"So, what do you think?" Dr. Mortum taps her fingers in the air, causing the armor to split apart before coming together again in a dizzyingly kaleidoscopic display. "Do you think your boss will be happy?"

"That depends." You manage to keep a straight face, making sure not to look too eager. This is not the body that will fit in it, and it wouldn't do to make Mortum suspect that you are anything but a glorified assistant. "Tell me about it."

"Of course, ma chérie." Another wave of her hand, the elegant fingers as precise as a surgeon's.

You realize that she most likely has the touch pads somewhere on her hands. Are they surgically implanted under the skin? Perhaps the nails are fake? Or is she actually wearing skin-gloves, similar to the ones that are used to fake fingerprints? In either case, the lack of physical controls would make it hard for an intruder to interface with the system. Good to know.

I like how being tech-savvy means Josie's narration just goes off on nerdy tangents sometimes. Accurate.

"The armor is sandwiched laminar plasteel over two layers of fibermesh." The sleek silhouette takes shape in front of you as if you were facing the real thing, but it is painted in greenish light instead of dull plasteel gray. "The plasteel is flexible in its relaxed state, giving the wearer a good range of movement, but if triggered, it will go rigid to absorb the impact. The mesh has a good resistance to tearing attacks; the combination should be able to stand up to the standard LDPD weapons with ease."

"And punches?" you ask, remembering the sight of Marshal Steel charging down the street in his armor.

"That would depend on the punch," she admits with a shrug. "I can reinforce the armor with electro-reactive shielding as well, which would give more protection, but that would mean more of a drain on the power cells. You might want that output for other options."

"Other options?"

"Speed, for example. As it is, the armor does not hinder the wearer, but it would be an easy matter to also boost performance. Right now, there is space for a pair of small jump-jets which would assist leaping and enable bursts of increased speed over short distances."

"Are those rocket boots?" You frown a little at the design, running your fingers through it so the hologram shivers out of focus.

"Boots and back. Both are needed for balance. There is not enough room for stabilizers without turning it into a proper wingsuit, and that wasn't what your boss ordered."

"True," you agree, pondering your options. "What else?"

"Well, if we are talking about increasing the bulk of the armor, there is always the possibility of adding an exoskeleton."

"Really?" you ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Not a military one, of course, but it would be possible to add one of the lightweight sport models." Perhaps she catches the look on your face because she quickly continues, "Do not expect to turn into the Red Behemoth, ma chérie. I can't work miracles without increasing the size."

"I'm not the one who's going to be using this armor," you point out.

"I know, and speaking of which…"

>

Mortum's hands pull apart and the hologram zooms in, focusing on the massive glove on the left hand. "The main weapon of the suit is of course going to be the nanovores. I was right, by the way—it was not hard to reprogram the nasty little creatures. Flesh will be safe from them now, but anything inorganic, decidedly less so."

"Good," you say with a nod. "And the control?"

"Working as intended. The targeting web you liberated was not hard to repurpose. Though the wearer still has to be psi-sensitive to interface with it, the web will aid greatly in keeping the nanovores dormant when they are not needed."

"And nobody wants another Nanosurge."

"Very true, that." Dr. Mortum purses her lips for a moment, looking thoughtful. "I am fairly certain that if I supercool the central chamber, that can clear up the interface process quite a bit, making it easier for the wearer to access the true power of the targeting web."

"Sort of like a telepathic booster?"

"More like reducing the friction between minds, but the effect would be similar. As it is, it requires a lot of effort to use the nanovores. This process would make it easier."

"And let me guess, it also requires energy."

"You can't have everything you want in this armor, ma chérie, since your boss did not give me either the time or the money to do that."

"I suppose things can be modified at a later stage as well."

"Possibly. We are already overloading the battery capacity of the suit with the current ce-lith cells; however, if I could have access to a proper fusion reactor…"

"Would that really be safe?"

"Ma chérie, your boss is a…man," she says, giving you a questioning look, but you neither deny nor confirm the guess. "…A man who is willing to carry a handful of primed nanovores into battle. I hardly think safety is one of his main concerns."

"That is true," you agree. "Are there other options?"

"Not without compromising the time frame."

"And my boss would not want that." You can already feel life beginning to catch up with you, and to wait longer would mean a greater chance of failure. It's now or never.

"So which options should I go ahead and implement, then? Or do you need to speak with your boss first?"

"No," you say, shaking your head. "I am trusted to make these decisions." To pretend to go and ask someone for advice would mean further delays, and you have waited long enough. "What can feasibly be added in time?"

"I would say two of the options could work, as I think that is within the operating parameters of the power source. Any preferences?"

> Decisions

After careful consideration, you pick…

‣ …stronger armor and shielding.
     ‣ …enhanced speed and jump jets.
     ‣ …an exoskeleton, for strength.
     ‣ …telepathic boosters.

This is it: our new lease on life. What will our reborn self be capable of?

To recap what each upgrade does:
    Reinforced armor and shielding will significantly increase the damage our armor can absorb, allowing us to shrug off hits that might otherwise leave us injured or worse.
    Enhanced speed will grant us superhuman speed and reaction time, as well as rocket boots that allow for bursts of speed and aerial maneuvering.
    A powered exoskeleton will give us super strength comparable to Lady Argent's, enabling us to lift cars or rend steel with ease and ensuring our attacks hit
    really fucking hard.
    Telepathic boosters will let us more easily and effectively access the Rat King's powers, reducing the mental load of using our own telepathy and letting us pull off more difficult feats than we could manage alone.

The suit will be an all-around improvement on our abilities no matter what; the question is what to really focus on. (And FWIW, as someone who knows these games probably too well, I haven't found any combination to be meaningfully "better" or "worse" overall. Different in their capabilities, but equal in overall options.)

Vote for your preferred combination(s) or just for your 1–3 favorite individual upgrades, whichever you prefer!

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    █████████▒██████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

█████████▒██████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Superspeed and telepathy!

• Agree x 1
  10. KarrinBlue

I vote for the jets and telepathic booster too! Josie is already way more of a sneak around type, so maneuverability and better telepathy fits them better

• Agree x 1
  11. keltena

Consensus is that we should stick to our strengths! Or our strengths plus jet packs, to be precise.

> …enhanced speed and jump jets.

"These suits can be rather clunky. I was told to make sure that it won't slow the wearer's reactions down."

Even if you are not at your peak, you always relied on agility and reflexes. You don't want to get into something that will slow your reactions too much, as that might be the difference between success and failure.

Both Lady Argent and Ortega are fast, and you need to be able to keep up with them. Luckily Herald—who might technically be the fastest—is less experienced than the others, if you judged your fight with him correctly.

"Have no fear, ma chérie; this suit won't hinder movement. Rather the opposite, in fact." Dr. Mortum looks so pleased with herself that you are inclined to believe her.

> Decisions

After careful consideration, you pick…

‣ …stronger armor and shielding.
     ‣ …an exoskeleton, for strength.
     ‣ …telepathic boosters.

> …telepathic boosters.

"If there really is a way to lessen the interference of the telepathic control, I'm sure my boss would appreciate it."

You are going to be doing a lot of juggling as it is. Keeping the nanovores under control requires concentration, and even if you can use the Rat King to deal with a lot of the mundane upkeep, it's going to be different in a fight. This would allow you to be more reliant on your telepathic gifts during the action, and honestly, you like it best that way.

"Please, ma chérie, I've worked with telepathic engineering before. It is a rare gift, but not unheard of. I know what I am doing." Dr. Mortum almost sounds insulted.

"That sounds good," you say, looking at the screens already changing under Dr. Mortum's agile fingers.

"And the overall design aesthetic?"

"No changes there," you say, resisting the urge to reach up and touch the holographic representation of your hopes and nightmares. "My boss still wants it looking…"

‣ …functional, without useless ornamentation.
     ‣ …imposing, like a true conqueror.
     ‣ …terrifying, like a monstrous creature from beyond.
     ‣ …mysterious and featureless.

This choice won't affect function, just presentation. What impression do we want to make? Tall and imposing, commanding fear and respect? Shadowy and inscrutable, raising more questions than answers? Twisted and inhuman, the stuff of our—and now our enemies'—worst nightmares? Or would we rather our armor just be armor, not a statement?

Vote in the thread or in this poll, whichever you like. (Just let me know if you do both.)

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 15% (+15) / Obscurity: 85%
    ████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    █████████▒██████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

█████████▒██████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

12. KarrinBlue

We are a telepath of mystery!

• Agree x 2
  13. keltena

:mystery:

> …mysterious and featureless.

People's minds can be used against them in more ways than one. If they can't guess who—or even what—you are, they can't prepare against you.

The unknown makes people speculate, and their imaginations run wild with wrong assumptions. This is a strength and a shield in one, and a role you are comfortable playing.

Nobody will ever know.

"I still think it would have been easier if I could have talked to them directly." Dr. Mortum shuts off the holographic displays with a decisive gesture, smiling a little at you. "In my line of business, I've learned that's often the only way to avoid complaints. That, and getting everything in writing." The laugh is short and amused.

"I would have thought that your line of work also included respecting your client's privacy." You can't help sounding rather dry—she's been a little too curious for your liking.

"Of course, ma chérie, I just don't want any misunderstandings. As you can imagine, I have no wish to end up on their bad side."

"If that's what worries you, you can rest easy." You shrug, feeling a little awkward standing here in her lab, talking about yourself. "I'll be the one bearing the brunt of any complaints."

"Maybe that is what worries me," she says with a soft sigh. "I know all about the dangers in your line of work. It's not easy being stuck in the middle."

‣ Is she really interested in me? I steer the conversation towards the personal.
     ‣ I keep it safe and focus on business.

Huh. The concern is new—should we follow up on that line of conversation, or nip it in the bud?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 20% (+5) / Obscurity: 85%
    ████████████████████
    ██▒█████████████████
    █████████▒██████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

█████████▒██████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

14. LadyNighteyes

15. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Any risk of genuine emotions is a big no-no so far

16. keltena

Please, Doctor, we're a professional.

> I keep it safe and focus on business.

"Thank you for your concern, but I told you—I can take care of myself," you repeat, hardening your voice a little to drive home the point.

"As you say, ma chérie. Besides, I am not being paid to give good advice, am I?"

"For this price, maybe you should include that for free." It is a joke that neither of you are laughing at.

"I could throw in a cape?"

There is a moment's pause as you both look at each other while you try to tell if she's serious.

"A cape. Really?" You hadn't considered one before; it's a fashion choice that went out of style years ago.

"It fits very well into the theme actually," Dr. Mortum says, turning the screen back on again. "Your boss wants this thing to be mysterious, and what is more mysterious than a hooded cape? Anything could be hiding under there.

"Besides, cape technology has come a long way since the eighties. With the new nanoweaves, even a light cape won't tear easily, and force-sensitive clips ensure that it comes off if it gets stuck."

You watch the image of the armor rotating in the air as Dr. Mortum adds a variety of capes to the sleek image. There's a look of almost childish joy on her face that makes it hard not to smile in return.

"I didn't know you were so fond of capes," you tease.

"I'm not." There's a pause, and a sheepish shrug. "Alright, maybe I am. It adds a sense of style that I feel most people these days lack."

‣ "Fine, add the cape."
     ‣ "Forget it, no cape."

Now we're asking the real questions.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 20% / Obscurity: 80%
    ████████████████████
    Arrogance: 11% / Anonymity: 89% (+1)
    ██▒█████████████████
    █████████▒██████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

█████████▒██████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

17. KarrinBlue

Let's be fashionable

• Agree x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

*Megamind voice* PRESENTATION!

...by which I mean cape.

• Agree x 2
  19. keltena

We didn't put all this work into turning villain so we could lack flair!

> "Fine, add the cape."

"Fine," you say with a sigh. "Add the cape. I suppose if the boss hates it, it's removable."

"Oh, nobody can hate a cape once they've tried one on in front of the mirror." Dr. Mortum looks too pleased with herself.

"Really?" You cross your arms and raise an eyebrow. "Where is yours?"

"That's not how it works, ma chérie. Scientists wear coats. Capes are for heroes and villains." She nods sagely.

"I guess I'll have to take your word for it." You have a hard time not laughing, which takes you a bit by surprise. It's been a long time since you felt this human.

"Are you finding something funny, ma chérie?" Dr. Mortum looks at your suppressed mirth with fond amusement.

"Not really," you protest, but your eyes are drawn to the projection of the suit still hovering in the middle of the room like a mirage. "I guess I just feel…"

You hesitate for a moment, trying to figure out what you really feel.

‣ …sad that this collaboration is ending so soon.
     ‣ …nervous that things won't go as planned.
     ‣ …impatient to get the show on the road.
    CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy

████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Psychological Profile

Infamy: 25% (+5) / Obscurity: 75%
    ████████████████████
    Arrogance: 11% / Anonymity: 89%
    ██▒█████████████████
    █████████▒██████████
    ████████████████████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

██████████████▒█████

████████████████████

█████████▒██████████

████████████████████

████▒███████████████

████████████████████

20. LadyNighteyes

Show on the road! We still don't know what our villainous motivation is!

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice