Let us tell you about Homestuck

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Apr 12, 2015.

1. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

it is a hard, cruel time for people who don’t think gamzee is the source of all evil in homestuck ;~;

• Agree x 3
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

If Vantas panquadrantism is supposed to be canon, can I deal with my frustration on how it was handled by from now on writing only AUs in which everyone has quadrant feelings including humans?

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Was Gamzee supposed to have been influenced before his breakdown? Because if I was strongly religious (which I’m not) and someone sent me a YouTube video of two idiots in clown makeup mocking my faith, I would just close the browser window and roll my eyes, not start killing people. Especially since Gamzee knew human life arose from the trolls' session, so his faith came first and in-universe couldn't be based on the video. Was Cal getting into his head before that?

4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah, he'd had Cal for a while then. Plus he'd be going through withdrawal symptoms, and in an extremely confined place with no real plan on how to escape Jack... it was a bad time for everyone.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. Have we ever seen what a healthy kismesis looks like? We have Karkat and John, where John didn’t reciprocate and Karkat was kinda overreacting to things, Gamzee and Terezi was a mind-controlled abusive disaster, at least one version of Spades Slick/SS has killed Snowman/BQ, John doesn’t seem to like seeing Terezi as a kismesis because he doesn’t get it...

6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Discussing the trauma levels of the beta kids' childhoods elsewhere; was Dad constantly trying to feed John cake or was that just a birthday thing? A weird determination to make his kid obese doesn't seem much healthier than what Rose got.

7. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I don't think it was like that. Dad just liked baking, so while John almost certainly got a decent diet, he just got sick of cake because Dad made it often. Not like, cake for every meal, but cake for 1/3 of all desserts. Or something like that.

8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Good. Making multiple full-sized cakes for one birthday is still pretty excessive, but then the intro sequences with the kids do seem to be coloured by the kids' own perceptions. Maybe to John it just feels like he gets force-fed cake all the time?

9. I think that’s it, yeah.

10. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

As a kid who's lived through that kind of shit that's how I've always read it. It's not that you're literally always force fed cake, but after a point it feels that way and you're just so fucking sick of stupid ass cake being around. Taunting you. With its annoying fluffy bullshit you don't even like to begin with.

URGH USELESS CAKES.

But that's just my experience.

• Like x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

@tickingnectarine I don't know. Vriska and Eridan seemed to get along okay but their blackrom revolved around mass murder; I don't know if that's normal for trolls.

• Informative x 1
  12. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so as far as I've gathered, a proper healthy blackrom is supposed to be rivalry+attraction. the two partners are supposed to push each other to strive for new levels of skill in things, I think, and....it seems like that's supposed to come from envy/a desire to do better than your blackrom partner at The Thing, as well as your partner probably....I dunno, giving 'constructive' criticism? constructive with quotes because I feel like genuinely helpful and kind and well-intentioned criticism is not true blackrom, but I feel like it would involve some constructive criticism, just....under layers of needling and insults. and then, y'know, you're supposed to be into each other in some fashion. healthy blackrom could probably involve physical fights if you were so inclined, but they shouldn't involve such levels of hate that you want to genuinely murder each other, or probably even seriously injure each other.

so if we've seen something that fits that, yes, we've seen a healthy blackrom. otherwise, I'm not super sure. I don't actually remember all the blackrom relationships we saw, so I have no real idea if anything fits that.

....also, on the subject of canon quadrants, am I the only one who doesn't like Nepeta<>Equius?

13. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

i like smut involving them

i don't know if that counts as not liking their moirallegiance

14. (Gasps in shock) : o

I mean I understand not everyone sees them purely as moirails, but I do, and I will defend it. Of course you’re free to like other ships!

15. chaoticArbiter

it's not that I ship something else, it's that I just am :/ about their dynamic? if that makes sense
    again, I admittedly don't remember a ton from late-Homestuck, but I've been rereading early Homestuck and it's just....some of their early interactions have really, really put me off the ship. and I kinda feel like I'm the only person who feels this way?

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It kind of reads to me like they weren't officially moirails till the game; whether that's on their side of the fourth wall or ours because Hussie hadn't come up with the concept yet I don't know. Equius is a lot nicer to her on the meteor.

• Informative x 1
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Gamzee is pretty heavily coded as stereotypically black and, despite his high blood, lower-class, plus he’s obviously drug-addicted and appears to be mentally ill. We all know the negative stereotypes linked to those traits. I can't help but feel his story has themes of “You want me to be the bad guy? Fine, I’m the bad guy.”

• Agree x 3
  18. chaoticArbiter

that'd explain it, cause I remember REALLY liking that ship, and I was rereading the early stuff and couldn't figure out why I used to love it--but it's probably the meteor stuff, because I cannot actually remember most of Homestuck at this point :P
    obviously I need to keep rereading until I reach the part where I start to like the ship again

19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Before I saw the theory about Lil Cal's evil influence, and to some extent now, my headcanon about Bro was/is that either he had a thoroughly weird and awful childhood himself, or he had the most boring childhood imaginable and went overboard trying to give Dave an interesting one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice