Let's Go Steal a Dungeon (MotBM OOC/Planning)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by The Frood Abides, Jul 21, 2016.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Oh my god trying to choose spells is the worst

2. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

you're telling me, man. I think I spent like four hours or something, and I only had nine to pick. I had to write the stats out in little tables and everything. eventually I decided that I would just go with whatever dealt the most damage, which has probably worked?

• Like x 1
  3. swirlingflight

I've got this whole comparison listing going with things like "touch or ranged? does it require a finite material focus like diamond dust? does this duplicate one of the other saving throws i'm working against? does it get enhanced if cast in a higher level spell slot? can it be cast as a ritual?"

• Like x 1
  4. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

I have moved, so whenever you all have your PCs ready I should be able to start the game.

• Like x 2
  5. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

sry! I've been out of the loop bc driving from Houston to Philadelphia. will be here for the week, and hopefully will get back home sunday @_________@ (also sry if I'm a little incoherent here I just got back from the convention center. was lucky enough to score a guest pass for the day but holy crap I'm in sensory overload rn and I've lost count of how many typos I've had to fix in the last few sentences alone)

I have most of a character sheet done, just need to do the thing where I pick spells and such. will post in the morning for my wizard.

btw, is there a wizard college/nerd collective in this setting? 'cause that's this character's home base. she's in this whole "adventuring" thing for the research/artifact recovery and acquiring funds so she never needs to apply for a research grant again. (based on both my advisor and one of my profs in the physics dept) if there isn't a university, then the character would probs end up working for a royal court or noble or anyone else w a huge fucking library and a few spare rooms made from good, solid stone that can handle an explosion or two

• Like x 1
  6. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Questions, answered kinda-sorta in character

• What is your alignment?
      • Who's asking? Okay, fine, chaotic-ish good-ish.
    • How old are you?
      • uhhhhhhh... thirty?
    • What are your parents like?
      • irrelevant. In more ways than one.
    • Are you married?
    • Do you have a “true love?” If not, what do you imagine them to be like? If yes, are they alive?
      • am i allowed to say "art"?
    • Have you any artistic skill or inclination?
      • Not as much as i wish. I'm good with my lyre and I can sing and sketch a bit, but truth be told I appreciate the art of others more than I can make it myself.
    • Are you wearing or carrying anything that could be considered “art”? (e.g. a sword hilt shaped like an animal)
      • My amulet, of course. I'm told it's something like two thousand years old, and it's still an exquisite piece of work. I try to get any painter I meet who's willing to paint something on my shield as well. I had some money to uh, spare, recently so I treated myself to ink and parchment for sketching. My mask, this ring someone gave to me as a favor, lots of things, really.
    • How well dressed or fashionable are you?
      • Excuse you, I am the epitome of fashion, the apex, the very concept incarnate. (yes, i know it's gaudy, no, i don't care)
    • How much gold do you have on you? Where and how did you get it?
      • Uh. Two. I pawned off my old chainmail to get the gear to liberate this painting, and a few nice things for me, but there's not much of that left.
    • Who was the last person you killed?
      • that's... certainly a question one could ask. a guard, probably?
    • Roughly how many people have you killed?
      • i don't know. i don't want to know.
    • How many good friends have you seen die or disappear?
      • too many. being a traveling entertainer is a hard life, especially when you've yet to make your skills or a name. I hope they just gave up and found dull steady work somewhere, but...
    • What is your greatest fear?
      • death, i guess, isn't it everyone's? not living up to my oath and the ideals i try to stand by
    • What is one of your most basic desires? Are you ashamed of it?
      • i just want my name to be known. I tell myself i just want a platform to try to spread art and the goodness it brings into the world to everyone, but truth be told i'm scared i might betray the things i try to stand for for it. of course i'm ashamed of that.
    • What are some of your secrets?
      • i dunno if i have any. if i did, i wouldn't say, anyways.
    • Would you ever sell your soul? What would it take?
      • Absolutely not, what's wrong with you? You never get what you pay for in those kinds of deals either.

• Like x 3
  7. The Frood Abides

@thegrimsqueaker The implied setting (what there is of it) is more fantasy-punk than realistic medieval, with aesthetics and influences from the Bronze Age to the Renaissance. So there's totally a wizard college.

• Like x 1
  8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Man, we are gonna have spells out our ass in this group. Looking forward to it!

#also who wants to bet that alabaster winds up squishier than at least one primary caster?

• Like x 1
  9. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

awesome 38D will finish doing the other things when I have time/energy for something other than playing pokemon go while pretending to listen to endless speeches

10. esotericPrognosticator

@The Frood Abides almost completely frivolous question: does "fantasy-punk" mean that cigarettes or an equivalent are a thing? also, roughly how many of them could be purchased for 1 gp? (also, with any luck I have Lyriae's background up tonight for you to look over.)

11. The Frood Abides

@esotericPrognosticator if hobbits can have "pipe-weed" you can have cigarettes. I'll say, uh, 10 (1 silver each, since tobacco is still an imported luxury).

• Like x 1
  12. swirlingflight

Okay... I really want to get better armor than leather, because ms "lol what's a dex mod" needs the AC. Wish me luck in rolling my 5d4 for gold and my 4d8 for HP!

Current projected spell list:
    3 Cantrips
    Mending - known in life before
    Prestidigitation - life before
    Vicious Mockery - adventuring life

8 spells known
    1 - Bane - before
    1 - Comprehend Languages - before, handy at work
    1 - Dissonant Whispers
    1 - Feather Fall - before, being a reckless showoff
    1 - Healing Word - before?
    1 - Heroism
    1 - Thunderwave
    2 - Heat Metal​

13. swirlingflight

5d4: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.
    Yep.
    1 every time.
    /cries.
    I could afford hide armor, a longsword, an explorer's pack, a dagger, and a shawm to have 11 whole gp left! :')
    eta Battle axe would make that 16 left, so okay, there's a little wiggle room.

4d8: [8], 3, 8, 2, 8
    at least I did okay on the health end of things
    29 + 5(final con mod), so anywhere from 24 to 29...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    • Like x 1
  14. esotericPrognosticator

sympathy like, but also what are you talking about, 11 gp is like a fortune. Lyriae is gonna have 8 sp 9 cp left after she buys her historically inaccurate cigarettes. or possibly she'll buy 18 and have just 9 cp left. who knows.

• Like x 1
  15. swirlingflight

But I can have three instrument proficiencies, I want more than one instrument!

...And maybe a shield for the extra AC, which would take up 10 of it. T_T

• Like x 1
  16. The Frood Abides

Sounds like most people are either done or making steady progress. We haven't heard from @missoyashirou in a few days -- are you and your war-potato still in?

Also, what are everyone's preferred pronouns? (Players, that is. The characters will be obvious from context, but some of you don't have listed gender on your profiles.)

17. esotericPrognosticator

@The Frood Abides I'm he/him, thanks. I'm assuming from your profile that you are too?

18. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I'm still in, sorry about the delay. I've been dealing with diverticulitis issues on and off all weekend, as well as a Pathfinder bard due at roughly the same time. I prefer she/her/hers/herself, if that's alright?

I'll get war-potato done tonight, but I have a few questions. Are skills still tied into the int modifier like in 3.x? Because I wouldn't mind switching my INT to the 5 instead of my CHA (it would fit the theme of my character better, and I find it a lot easier playing a dummy when I first start with a new group and new setting), but if it's something that would cripple the character I can stick with CHA instead.

19. swirlingflight

I'm apathetic about it, but I'm good with "they," "she," and "he" in rough order of preference.

Sarnai, human bard
    primary motivation: pursuit of new questions and mysteries
    secondary motivation: seeing and being a part of awesome heroics

What is your alignment?
    "Whatever I feel is necessary. I try not to surprise people about switching things up, to give a little forewarning... Like, two weeks notice! It's only polite."
    (True neutral.)
    (Already has a plan for torture if the situation ever seems to call for it; she's not good or lawful.)​
    How old are you?
    "33."​
    What are your parents like?
    "Dreadfully reliable most of the time. But, compared to their parents, far more willing to tolerate my peculiarities! Oh, they complain at every opportunity about how I just can't settle, how I put so much time and learning to waste... But I'm sure they're proud of me. Somewhere. Deep inside. Else, why help as they have?"​
    Are you married?
    "This might surprise you to hear... but yes! I am!"​
    Do you have a “true love?” If not, what do you imagine them to be like? If yes, are they alive?
    "Love is what you do, not who they are; there's no single, perfectly compatible true love out there. Or... at least, I hope there isn't. I've already made my choice."​
    Have you any artistic skill or inclination?
    "Do I have any... yes??? That's half of what I do!"
    (Yes; 3 instrumental proficiencies and a good charisma at least.)​
    Are you wearing or carrying anything that could be considered “art”? (e.g. a sword hilt shaped like an animal)
    "Of course!"
    (Clasp for a cloak, stylized carvings in her shield... Probably her shawm is decorative too.)​
    How well dressed or fashionable are you?
    "Not nearly as well as I would like, but it's for the best. Being an obvious target, in the life I've chosen... It's better to be able to stand out only a little bit, and be able to clean up well when the occasion calls for it."​
    How much gold do you have on you? Where and how did you get it?
    "If I add up my coppers and silvers... about 3 gold? It's a mix of tips from performing, and loot from the last bandit I killed."​
    Who was the last person you killed?
    "I didn't ask his name. Big fellow, braided beard, wearing an utterly worn and tattered uniform of the guard several cities away. I wonder what his story was; did he get that outfit from one of his own victims, or maybe some misfortune ruined his life...? Either way, he was one of a bunch attacking the caravan I was walking with. In that kind of situation, there's no sense talking them down."​
    Roughly how many people have you killed?
    "People people, or monsters and desperate elements too?"
    (Several dozen.)​
    How many good friends have you seen die or disappear?
    "...A few. More than a few. It makes me value the ones who are still around all the more."​
    What is your greatest fear?
    "Dying full of regrets from not doing things."​
    What is one of your most basic desires? Are you ashamed of it?
    "I want people to want me, to miss me, to welcome me home with grateful tears... and bear with me when I drift away again and again."
    "As for shame... A little, sometimes."​
    What are some of your secrets?
    "I'll never settle down. I don't have the stamina to keep a mundane life together; I couldn't bear to stay at home, darning socks and feeding babies, or tending the shop day in and day out. I'd throw a tantrum, break things and sling words to hurt, and I'd only regret the wreckage, not the actions. Seeking quests and questions is the best thing for me... because out here there's things worth breaking, and I don't need to resent anyone for trapping me in the mundane."
    "I almost wish my sister had bothered to have children; then I would've had a good excuse to treat the children of my family like a distant aunt."​
    Would you ever sell your soul? What would it take?
    "...Is there a rental plan available? Because selling it, well, it takes a lot to get it back. But renting it means temporarily losing it for the sake of mutual profit...??
    "Oh, who am I kidding. The kinds of entities who can give big compensation for it are powerful enough to break agreements with mere mortals."

[​IMG]
    except, you know. a battleaxe. couldn't afford a longsword.

Name: Sarnai
    Race: Human
    Class: Bard (College of Valor)
    Background: Scribe (Failed Wizard Apprentice)

Level: 5th (6,500 XP)
    Alignment: Neutral
    Speed: 30ft
    Size: Medium
    Build: Around 5'8", moderately muscular, with an overall thinness or frailty.
    Appearance: A spindly human of pale skin and dark, shoulder-length hair. Wears a long cloak in situations that don't call for it just so she can make it billow behind her.

Ability scores:
    Strength: 13 (+1 race) = 14 (+2)
    Dexterity: 9 (+1 race) = 10 (+0)
    Constitution: 7 (+1 race) = 8 (-1)
    Intelligence: 10 (+1 race) = 11 (+0)
    Wisdom: 11 + 1 (race) = 12 (+1)
    Charisma: 15 + 1 (race) = 16 (+3)​

HP: 24 (29 - 5)
    AC: 14 (Hide armor + Shield + 0 Dex)
    Attack(s):
    Battleaxe (slashing)
    +5 to hit
    +2 to damage
    1d8 when one-handed​
    Dagger (piercing)
    +5 to hit
    +2 to damage
    1d4, throwable [20/60]​

Proficiences (+3 modifier)
    Armors: Light, Medium, Shield
    Weapons: Simple, Martial
    Tools: 3 different instruments (Drum, Shawm, Lute)
    Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
    Skills: Arcana (background), History (background), Deception, Medicine, Performance
    x2 on two of these skills (History and Deception)
    Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, and [just fuck me up, idek, but it's not Draconic.]​

Racial Traits (Human)
    +1 to each ability score
    Medium
    30ft speed
    Common and 1 other language​

Background Features (Scribe, Researcher):
    Researcher: When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it.​

Feats
    War Caster
    Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
    You have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:
    • You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
    • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
    • When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.​

Class Features (Bard, College of Valor):
    Bardic Inspiration (d8): Cha times/rest, use bonus action to give 1 other hearing creature within 60 feet a Bardic Inspiration Die: a d8 usable to add to an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, weapon damage roll, or their AC). They must declare use of it before the DM says if the roll succeeds.
    Jack of All Trades: Add 1/2 proficiency,rounded down, to all ability checks that don't have proficiency.
    Song of Rest (1d6): Use soothing song or oration to increase the HP regained at the end of a rest for you and any friendly creatures who can hear.
    Expertise: 2 skill proficiencies double the proficiency bonus.
    Combat inspiration: The BI die can also go to weapon damage or to add as a reaction to AC against a single attack.​

Spellcasting
    3 bard cantrips and 8 spells known
    4 1st-level spell slots, 3 2nd-level spell slots, 2 3rd-level spell slots​
    Charisma spellcasting ability
    Spell attack mod: Cha mod + 3 = +6
    Spellcasting DC = 8 + Cha mod + 3 + any special modifiers = 14
    Spells:
    Cantrips: Mending, Prestidigitation, Vicious Mockery
    1st-level: Bane, Comprehend Languages, Dissonant Whispers, Feather Fall, Healing Word, Heroism, Thunderwave
    2nd-level: Heat Metal​

Gear
    Hide armor = 12+Dex (10gp) (12lb)
    Shield = +2 AC (10gp) (6lb)
    Battleaxe = 1d8 slashing, Versatile (10gp) (4lb)
    Dagger = 1d4 piercing, Finesse, light thrown [range 20/60] (2gp) (1lb)
    Explorer's Pack = [backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days rations, waterskin, 50 ft hempen rope] (10gp) (54lb???)
    Shawm = wind instrument (2gp) (1lb)
    Manacles (2gp) (6lb)
    Trinket: a brass ring that never tarnishes​
    10 + 10 + 2 +10 + 1 + 2 + 10 + 2 = 47/50 spent
    3gp in silvers and coppers

SPELLS
    Fun fact, if you have a spell with a casting time of Bonus Action, you can also cast a cantrip with a casting time of 1 Action in that turn.
    Which, for this character, means she can go around mocking an enemy for psychic damage and worsened to-hit, while encouraging an ally to not die. Be Spiderman.
    3 Cantrips
    Mending ~ *
    Prestidigitation ~ *
    Vicious Mockery
    8 spells known
    1 - Bane ~ *? (drop of blood easy to obtain; just bite lip)
    1 - Comprehend Languages ~ *
    1 - Dissonant Whispers
    1 - Feather Fall ~ ^
    1 - Healing Word ~ `
    1 - Heroism
    1 - Thunderwave

2 - Heat Metal *?​
    ~ = would've had at level 1
    ^ = reaction
    ` = bonus action
    * = requires materials, not plausible with weapon+shield in hand....
    unless hitting base of weapon against shield counts as percussion with performance(drum)?? it would sure add to the ambience of battle music.

CANTRIPS
    Mending (known before adventuring)
    Transmutation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Touch
    Components: V, S, M (two lodestones)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as a broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage.
    This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can’t restore magic to such an object.​
    Prestidigitation (known before adventuring)
    Transmutation cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 10 feet
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Up to 1 hour
    This spell is a minor magical trick that novice spellcasters use for practice. You create one of the following magical effects within range:
    • You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
    • You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
    • You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
    • You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
    • You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
    • You create a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.
    If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three o f its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dism iss such an effect as an action.​
    Vicious Mockery
    Enchantment cantrip
    Range: 60 feet
    Components: V
    You unleash a string of insults laced with subtle enchantments at a creature you can see within range. If the target can hear you (though it need not understand you), it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.
    This spell’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).​

LEVEL 1 SPELLS
    Bane
    1st-level enchantment
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: V, S, M (a drop of blood )
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
    Up to three creatures of your choice that you can see within range must make Charisma saving throws.
    Whenever a target that fails this saving throw makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target must roll a d4 and subtract the number rolled from the attack roll or saving throw.
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st.​
    Comprehend Languages
    1st-level divination (ritual)
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S, M (a pinch of soot and salt)
    Duration: 1 hour
    For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text.​
    Dissonant Whispers
    1st-level enchantment
    You whisper a discordant melody that only one creature of your choice within range can hear, wracking it with terrible pain. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn’t move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and doesn’t have to move away. A deafened creature automatically succeeds on the save.
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.​
    Feather Fall "watch this! 8D"
    1st-level transmutation
    Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls
    Components: V, M (a small feather or piece of down)
    Duration: 1 minute
    Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature's rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling dam age and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.​
    Healing Word "don't give up! D:"
    1st-level evocation
    Casting Time: 1 bonus action
    A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.​
    Heroism "ganbatte"
    1st-level enchantment
    Range: Touch
    A willing creature you touch is imbued with bravery. Until the spell ends, the creature is immune to being frightened and gains temporary hit points equal to your spellcasting ability modifier at the start of each of its turns. When the spell ends, the target loses any remaining temporary hit points from this spell.
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st.​
    Thunderwave "get AWAY"
    1st-level evocation
    Range: Self (15-foot cube, aka 1 square in each direction from you)
    A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cub e originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed.
    In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell’s effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.​
    Heat Metal
    2nd-level transmutation
    Components: V, S, M (a piece of iron and a flame)
    Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor (or a chain used to tie enemies up), that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again.
    If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn’t drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
    When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.​

BARDIC INSPIRATION DICE

Cha mod times/rest, Sarnai can use her bonus action to give 1 other hearing creature within 60 feet a Bardic Inspiration Die: a d8 they can add to:
    • ability check,
    • attack roll,
    • saving throw,
    • weapon damage roll,
    • or AC.
    They must declare use of it before the DM says if the roll succeeds---which is pretty great in this kind of play by post, where you can look at your result and include the die use in your post.

If you're deafened, you can't be inspired, because apparently only sound-based performances are bardic enough, no dancers allowed.

marriage of convenience: husband is "family" and allowed by whatever family rules to properly learn the things and be their apprentice in whatever the fuck they do, she had a kid with him, there she did the responsible thing bye now

"I don't want to be the kind of person who lies to do this sort of thing" - not sure if deception check. even she's not sure.

[​IMG]

Dwarf mentor, a relationship like Pearl and Connie

I seem to be using Rarity from MLP as the primary basis for her voice.

Spells currently expended: 1 level 1 spell slot.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like x 1
  20. The Frood Abides

correct.

That's perfectly all right, I was just checking in. And no, you get the same number of skills regardless of your INT mod. They're just tied to class and background now (though some races grant bonus ones).

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice