Mihi Ad Latinam Traducas - Translate This Into Latin For Me

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by albedo, May 10, 2016.

1. albedo

albedo metasperg

Latin is the language of fancy, classy stuff! Especially when you're being profane.

Request translation into Latin here.

• Like x 3
  2. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

that is not how you science.

3. albedo

albedo metasperg

are you sure.

Translating now! :D

4. peripheral

:D
    hopefully parentals will be more willing to listen if i yell it in latin (or at least more impressed)

prolly not, but a guy can dream.

• Like x 3
  5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Can I get this text
    field of fucks.jpg
    in latin?

• Like x 5
  6. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I have needed this thread for my whole life (you don't need to translate that.)

• Like x 1
  7. albedo

albedo metasperg

@peripheral

Okay, so the literal translation... That's using "science" as a verb, like "to science". So if we're being literal, I'm going to verbify "scientia" into "scientio, scientiare", and just keep it a regular first declension verb because that sounds sensible.

And your sense isn't imperative - they clearly do science in that manner, which is why you're saying it. Your sense is "that is not how you should science", yeah? So that'll be hortatory subjunctive, because it's expressing a wish/desire - scientiem, scientiere.

So I think this is literally going to be
    "Non est qui scienties." (That is not how you science.)
    or
    "Illud non est qui scienties." (That is not how you science.)

If you want to go without verbifying, I think the closest sentence would be "that is not how you should do science." ("illud non est qui scientiam facias."). Or "that is not how science should be done" ("illud non est qui scientia fiat.") if you wanna go passive with it.

And of course, as usual, you can omit implied words and rearrange at will. o/

• Like x 7
  8. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

"I'm sorry I made the situation worse."

ETA: Also, I noticed you verbified verb as verbify rather than just verb. And then I noticed that sentence was so awesome I had to post it.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Like x 3
  9. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

(albedo, i love you. can we also request translations from latin here? bc i have a pendant with an apparently latin inscription and i have no idea what it means)

10. albedo

albedo metasperg

I'm not seeing a good, Classical noun form of "fuck", so to preserve the vulgarity, I'm gonna go with "landica" (clitoris), which was mega swear in Latin. Otherwise, you could nounify the supine accusative ("fututum"), which would be correctly conjugated "fututas" here, but that's not technically classical Latin.

(You could also use the gerund of fuck (futendum), but that would literally be "in which I grow my fucking", and I'm not sure that's clear.)

"Lay eyes on" is idiomatic in English, so you could either translate that literally (pone occulos super illum), or just go with another sense of see/perceive. I think the latter sounds better here, so I'm gonna go with that. "Aspicio" connotes "look at, regard, examine", and "video" connotes "to see (physically), to see (metaphorically, to understand)". The "que" is just "and".

There are a lot of possibilities for "barren", depending on whether you want to connote "sterile, can't reproduce", or "unlucky, wretched". I'm going with "ineiunus" here, which connotes "hungry/fasting/abstinent, insignificant, (figuratively) dry/barren, (figuratively) meager". You can substitute in the nominative singular of other adjectives as desired.

And of course, the verbs are translated in the imperative, because this is an order. I guess you could use the hortatory subjunctive again here, but the sense seemed stronger than that?

Singular "you":
    Ecce! Campus in qui cresco landicas! Aspice videque qui ieiunus est!

Plural "you":
    Ecce! Campus in qui cresco landicas! Aspicite videteque qui ieiunus est!

:D More after work. Please do feel free to correct me and/or add translations, fellow Latin nerds.

• Like x 6
  11. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yep! Go for it. :D Latin is a terrible and hilarious language.

12. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

So we've got "the field in which I grow my clitorises"? That's amazing

• Like x 5
  13. albedo

albedo metasperg

Indeed! 8D Clitoris was apparently THE WORST SWEAR in Latin.

• Like x 7
  14. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Huh, and the worst English swear is essentially equivalent. I guess some of these things are universal in certain types of cultures.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Like x 3
  15. albedo

albedo metasperg

"Cunt" is indeed from the Latin "cunnus", which was similarly Pretty Damn Rude.

The Roman Empire was horrifically misogynistic. Misogynistic enough to go "Names? Girls don't need NAMES. We'll just name them Julius's Daughter #1 and Julius's Daughter #2."

I am 100% literal about this.

• Like x 6
  16. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

"Sapientia et virtus in domo ejus et scentia omnium rerum manet apud eum in seculum seculi"
    i got this pendant before the age of the internet, so if its a Famous Quote, i never googled it

17. oph

thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below

• Like x 6
  18. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Wisdom and some kind of virtue and knowledge all something something.

• Like x 1
  19. peripheral

Wisdom and virtue remain in his home and knowledge of all things is within (his )time (and )of (his) time.

This probably isn't right.

• Like x 2
  20. oph

I found a thread of people trying to translate the same pendant, and seems they mostly agree with @peripheral

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice