My pens! Let me show them to you!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rigorist, Feb 18, 2017.

1. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I have been buying cheap Chinese fountain pens for a couple months now. They are really cheap and a lot of fun. I don't think I paid over $4.50 for any single pen and most were around $2.00.

"Serious" fountain pen people will say they are crap (and some of them aren't very good), but they are still really fun!

Most of the hoard:
    STA74725.JPG

Another shot:
    STA74726.JPG

Some pretty ones (but not really good writers). Two Baoer 3023 (one black and one silver) and a Jinhao X750 (super heavy and impressive looking, but doesn't write very well)
    STA74729.JPG

Some that I actually use: Jinhao 588, two Hero 616, Hero 329 (I like this one a lot), Hero 926, Baoer 388. STA74730.JPG

The Hero 616s are the cheapest (a little under $1.00 each) but they are some of the best writers. Go figure.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Like x 20
  2. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

And a fancy notebook too?

3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

ZLYC Traveler's Notebook I use when I'm going low tech for legal observing for the NLG.

4. Carrickfergus

Carrickfergus abstractor of the quintessence

Your pens are rad. I have the one that's red with the little window to see the ink cartridge through. It is strapped to my Alpha Notebook, which is the one I take with me everywhere whose function is to let me record important shit.

Can we see some samples of how they all write? Do they all write?

Also...

venspens1.jpg
    These ones are for writing, linework, and highlighting.

venspens2.jpg
    BEHOLD, MY GEL PENS. These are for making every hand-written document I produce explode with color. Sometimes glittery color.

venspens3.jpg
    These are my old-timey dip pens, tips, and inks. I've had this box since I was like... 14 or so, I guess? ...the pens and tips have been collected over all that time.
    I almost never actually write with these (I'm a lefty, they're very simply not good for people like me because... try writing by pushing the tip of one of these things the WRONG WAY. The result is a lot of splattering and dotted lines). The inks were purchased relatively recently, because even though these pens see very little use, this case and its contents are a sort of... like a symbolic object on an almost spiritual level? It's very important that I maintain a travellers writing box -- THIS box -- because of Reasons.

• Like x 14
  5. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

image.jpg
    I have a lot of pens with many purposes, but these are my fountain pens.

• Like x 10
  6. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I severely misread the title of this thread, Rigs.

:')

• Like x 4
  7. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

[​IMG]
    not have pen but do have inks

• Like x 2
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Rigs, that one all red pens with the window for ink level is the exact pen many of my classmates had. I on the other hand hated fountain pens because left handed, but i did used to have a very pretty glass quill which was a PITA to write with.

• Like x 1
  9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

The original design is a Lamy Safari. I have a couple Chinese clones of it.

• Like x 2
  10. Carrickfergus

*fistbump of lefty solidarity*

I have to ask though.... how the fuck do those glass wand things work????

• Like x 1
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

You just dip them in ink and write with them. For like two letters. And then you dip them again.

• Like x 1
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ahh that would explain it. Lamy was The Thing for our school, who knows why.
    The one I had had a nib with spiral grooves that the ink went in when you dipped it, which were a PITA to clean out. You had to hold it fairly vertical to the page for it to write well.

• Like x 2
  13. Aulualala

Aulualala Alarmed Jellyfish

I have this exact style!

Pro-tip: Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.

• Like x 1
  14. Carrickfergus

Man, I have never once been able to get those things to make anything but a mess. ;P

• Like x 2
  15. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

i dream a dream of having the money for nice pens and notebooks again...

• Like x 1
  16. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Chinese fountain pens are cheap, cheap, cheap!

Five pens, ten dollarydoos.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.03.09 AM.png

• Like x 4
  17. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

wish has incredibly cheap fountain pens if you can stand to wait a month for delivery

• Like x 1
  18. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

it is my sworn duty as a shitposting memer to grace your thread with this image edit

thats-a-pen.gif

• Like x 13
  19. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  20. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

So a friend of mine bought an art supply store near my office (It's Wet Paint, for MN Kintsugijin) and I have received some Soros Bux. The result:

20170303_155755.jpg

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice