Random thought I just had: Do I have agoraphobia? I don't think so, but...

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by evilas, Aug 17, 2016.

1. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

The thought just occurred to me when I was asking about conventions... I think I might be just as scared of going to the place as I am going in.

I go to class practically every day, no problem. I take the bus (walk 3 blocks to the bus stop), or a taxi if I'm running late. I also go to a therapist from my dad's office and back, that's 5 blocks. I'm not...scared of going outside, I don't think. But the thing is, I'm not comfortable being in a place I'm not used to seeing. I can walk from my mom's house to my dad's house no problem, I've known the area around here (6-block radius or so) since I was born. I've never been able to find the time to go on Pokemon Go walks... but maybe I haven't been trying hard enough?

The concept of "going somewhere alone to do something I want" is pretty foreign to me. I've gone to the store to buy stuff, that's a few (4-5?) blocks away. I don't take my dog on very long walks, and I stay as close to home as I can. I also haaaaate it when I need to leave my house to do something, but when I do I want to do a ton of stuff like buy things and go somewhere to eat and do millions of other things.. but I also don't want to go too far away. I like having everything I need very close by.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

that sounds more like and anxiety thing than an agoraphobia thing? A fear of going places I am not familiar with, specifically because I sometimes get catastrophizing spirals of "and then I'll take a wrong turn and get lost and never find home again and no one will be there to help me with directions and I'll be all alone and starve" and I think that's anxiety brain bullshit (ftr I am not diagnosed with anxiety, but. It's a thing. I probably have a bit of anxiety.)

3. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

Okay, that makes sense... kinda. I'd like some more opinions on it though.

4. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

Hi. Um, hello. I have agoraphobia. It comes and goes and is triggered by different things (usually Big Moves). I totally relate to everything I bolded from what you said. If it were up to me I would just NEVER leave my apartment.... EVER. But I HAVE to and so I have to muster up all the coping strategies I have to leave the apartment. And when I get back? I don't want to leave the apartment for a couple of days to recuperate. It sounds to me like you might be experiencing something very similar to agoraphobia, or maybe just general anxiety? Here's a video I found helpful:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice