Scott Westerfeld Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by emythos, Sep 7, 2015.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Did you read his stuff? Were you the only person in your friend group reading his stuff? Were your friends mildly creeped out by your sudden interest in reading about plastic surgery and enthusiasm for the number 13?
    This is the thread for you! Rant about everything here.

• Like x 1
  2. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Super need to reread Midnighters because I'm pretty sure like half the cast is some flavor of autistic. (gonna get a mindcaster tattoo at some point because Melissa has been helping me deal with crowds since middle school)

• Like x 1
  3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Man, I volleyed between his section of the library and Orson Scott Card's all throughout middle and highschool. Which made for a bit of a shocking contrast, honestly.

• Like x 2
  4. emythos

Man, that makes a fuckton of sense.
    (do thiiiiing do the thiiiiing)

5. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I could never find past book two of the midnighters. Did they even exist? I don't know. But man they were good.

• Like x 1
  6. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Pretty sure I read that, but I can't remember a damn thing about it. :/ My babies were the Uglies series, Peeps, and Leviathan+sequels.

• Like x 3
  7. emythos

Yeah, there's a book three. (don't read it if you don't wanna be sad :( it ends sad )

8. strictly quadrilateral

Oh my god I forgot about Peeps. What a great book. I always got mad at myself for reading it because I suck at horror but it was so gooooddd.

• Like x 2
  9. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I've only read Uglies, Pretties, and Specials (I think?). I tried to start Extras but couldn't get into it. I should try again sometime :)
    But man, I really liked that series. Well, okay I pretty much hated the society so I was like spite reading it? xD But I liked the characters and the fighting against the society so yeah.

• Like x 1
  10. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

i've never read the midnighters but i might need to. it's been so long since i've managed to read a full-length novel but my love of Dystopian YA remains enduring

• Like x 1
  11. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I dunno if Extras is really worth forcing yourself to try. I read it cause I was a desperate fanboy, but it didn't leave much of an impact. Didn't really have the style or originality of the original trilogy.

• Like x 2
  12. emythos

I've never read peeps, and I should.
    Honestly, the society in Uglies super freaked me out, just because "your life will be fun and doing whatever you want, you won't have to think, you won't have to make decisions" was a thing that hit me super hard when I was reading them back in middle school, when (due to some very bad teachers) it felt like every decision I made on my own backfired terribly.
    I did like the robot camera. The camera was cute.

• Like x 2
  13. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Aw man, I'm having middle school flashbacks. This dude and OSC meant so much to tiny me, holy shit. I remember their works being a tiny puddle of joy in a vast desert of teenage awkward.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    • Like x 1
  14. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I think I also had to stop reading at some point because the "icy" stuff was triggering, though I didn't recognize it as such then, I just knew it was making me uncomfortable.

But I'm in a different place now, so I might try again because I really did love the series.

• Like x 1
  15. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

That it was. There were some bits I liked about it, don't get me wrong.
    the idea of people modifying their bodies for more practical purposes, ie spacefaring was really fun and interesting, and i wish i was smart enough to do something with that
    It just wasn't that great overall.

• Like x 1
  16. strictly quadrilateral

I actually don't remember anything about the Uglies series. I do know that my friend kept making a big deal of the fact that David and Zane both mean beloved. That's about it though.

• Like x 2
  17. emythos

pssh, David and Zane. Obviously the entire trilogy was about the tragic mess that was Tally/Shay.

• Like x 4
  18. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

i really liked the specials and how they were kind of twisted pretty? i took a lot of that as inspiration for my own fantasy world. it was so cool to me. also was i the only one who totally shipped tally & shay? i was so disappointed with the Stock YA Novel Love Triangle. baby chocolate hated obligatory het pairings.

Edit: ah snap nija'd

• Like x 1
  19. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

For real I caught on to that when I was in like seventh grade

• Like x 1
  20. emythos

the specials were super cool. I loved how they were explicitly made to be Scary Pretty, esp since Scary Pretty has always been aesthetic for me. (I'm too small and squishy to be proper scary pretty, but idgf.)
    ughhhhh stock ya love triangles.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice