the demogorgon comes! (a stranger things thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by kastilin, Sep 6, 2016.

1. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

i finished watching this show over the weekend & i had a lot of fun, so i thought i'd make a thread for anyone else who's watched it/watching it/considering watching it!

some things i noticed: the first episode is called "the vanishing of will byers", which i think may be a reference to the game "the vanishing of ethan carter", which revolves around a boy who woke something called the sleeper & then disappeared.
    ALSO [semi spoilers]
    the creature comes from something like a dark reflection of our world, right? & also looks vaguely human. my theory is that it is what humans are on that side, since if there's reflections of buildings, trees, & all that other jazz, there may be reflections of humans too

• Like x 2
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

!!!!

i binged this show a couple weeks ago. kind of. i was doing A Lot Of Latin and i watched this in between to stay sane

i love everyone in this show so much. especially el. my smol badass telekinetic child.

• Like x 1
  3. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

All the characters are fantastic!

I actually theorized that the shadowy world we see isn't actually the creature's native dimension, but a kind of border between the two realms, reflecting both.

• Like x 1
  4. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i love this show!!

@Xitaqa THAS A COOL IDEA i like that idea.
    like... the upsidedown isn't the other side, it's the space in the middle. which is why everything is empty and the only beings there are things that have been put there or traveled to there

the demagorgon monster is just 1 and its hard for me to imagine creatures just existing completley alone like that in their original world/dimension!!

• Like x 1
  5. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

@raybot yeah! That's pretty much my way of thinking too!
    it makes more sense for the human-built artifacts (houses and such) to exist there if it is like a snapshot of the world at the time the rift was opened or something. And the demogorgon is able to push into our world in other places apart from the original rift, which would suggest it can probably get back into its own realm too when it wants; it is probably hunting in both places, and that's partly why will survives so long, it just isn't around that much.

• Like x 2
  6. kastilin

i like these ideas!

re: the hunting thing:
    the demogorgon doesn't seem to actually feed on the humans it takes, it more seems to be like... building a nest? if that makes any sense. it does eat the deer if i remember right, so what the heck is it doing with a bunch of people cocooned? if it is a predator from another world that can transfer at will, it would make sense that it would pick a safe spot to nest. whats safer than an empty dimension amirite

ALSO
    what are the sluggies
    they seem (based purely on the vision of the upside down that will has after coughing one up) to have a genuine connection with the place

• Like x 3
  7. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Maybe larval demogorgons?

Eta: Or! What if the demogorgon is the end result of sluggies colonizing a human/humanoid body?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    • Like x 2
  8. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

the creature gets into the human world a couple of times but never stays there, just abducts will and that science guy from the first scene. barb i think more fell into the upsidedown like nacy and steve did? and those people from the lab that died, they went into the upsidedown, they didn't get abducted

so.... maybe the demogorgon is trying to go home, and doesn't know how. or like... eleven ripped open a portal that is the upside down, and pulled the demogorgon out of it's world? and it wants to go back, or, it has realized that humans make good prey and decided to stay in the upside down?

it doesn't seem native to the upside down. like the worms seem to be, but the demogorgon doesn't really? it doesn't seem to fit. the upside down seems like it... idk like it feeds off the humans? the tentacle things going into their throats, the worms in will and stuff. like the upside down itself is eating them. the demogorgon is just taking advantage of oooh trapped flesh! that is still alive but trapped so easy prey?

• Like x 1
  9. kastilin

making the demogorgon analogous to a really big, humanoid bot fly? gross. or like the cordyceps fungi.
    ...huh. this will be Poorly Articulated because i am bad at words but i hope i can convey my theory a lil bit:
    so right after will coughed up his slug, he saw the upside down. could have been a flashback, because holy shit that kid's been through a lot, but the way the show framed it it didn't really seem like it.
    anyways, the way the demogorgon translates at will (possibly) between dimensions but doesn't really seem to fit in with the upside down makes me think: what if the slugs facilitate the translations (at least, the easy ones. eleven did the heavy lifting for tearing open the really big portal). iirc, eleven opened the portal by reaching for the demogorgon which makes me think it was already in the upside down, but if so how did it get there? if the slugs infested it & pulled it into the upside down, it could explain why it cocooned the humans (maybe there's something the slugs need in people/people like things to breed) instead of feeding.
    which in turn makes things look bad for will. poor kid.

i blame the slugs.

• Like x 3
  10. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Is this Fandom? Am I doing the thing? [Redacted]

11. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

cautiously ressurects thread now that s2 is out

what did everyone think? favourite/least favourite moment/epidode?

i Loved episode 6.... and then was so viscerally disappointed by e7 i accidentally started hating it. whoops. e6 was SO GOOD THO WHAT A GODDAMN PAYOFF BRILLIANT EXECUTION FUCK YES
    also all the last episodes remind me of silent hill (my dormmate said resident evil, which i am not familiar with) and it was v nice

.... also please listen to this audio post http://iamnotabean.tumblr.com/post/167015771253/inspired-by-this-post

• Like x 2
  12. kastilin

i'm only on like, ep 4 of s2 but the girl in the first ep (like the first 2 mins) with the mind powers
    i love her
    she's my new fav

13. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Hello i don't watch and this has no spoilers but look

Neato

• Like x 3
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Hello friends I just finished season 2

Does anyone else here ship Steve/Billy? because that ship is Very Good to me

also I thought tumblr was exaggerating about Steve adopting the children but he totally did and I love it

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  15. kastilin

i haven't even finished s2 & i ship it

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  16. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

fuck I knew they were gonna kill my boy Bob >:C

He was such a good dude tho, he was doing his best and his best was rly rly good.

• Agree x 2
  17. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

@tinyhydra Ikr! My hat, it is the same as your hat.

• Like x 1
  18. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I just finished watching S1 tonight because I am behind the 8-ball on pretty much everything haha but I LOVE ELEVEN SO MUCH AHHH

• Agree x 2
  19. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

holy shit I can't believe that Steve adopted a gaggle of thirteen years olds and got himself beat to shit defending them, only to get adultnapped and dragged along unconscious to set fire to a demon root system. Steve's had a rough week. And it only took a couple days for them to stop respecting him as an authority figure, huh?

• Agree x 3
  20. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice