tumblr

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by kmoss, Aug 18, 2015.

1. kmoss

kmoss whoops

tmblr.PNG

I dunno
    *thunks head on desk*

also this felt more like a brain thing than an imported drama thing so *shrug*

• Like x 2
  2. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I came to the realisation not too long ago that every time I checked my dashboard, I would see something that made me angry, or depressed, or upset me in some other way. So I made a new tumblr, on which I follow Seebs and VastDerp (because I know that if they post something that upsets me, either it's because they're picking it apart or that they'll be open to discussing the issue with their followers), and a couple of tumblrs that post only art. I'm much happier.

Still kind of sad to lose the only way I have to keep in contact with my mutuals, but at the same time, I've got to take care of my mental health.

• Like x 2
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i feel you
    if tumblr wasn't one of the main places with my various small fandoms (and lots of good su art), i'd have already left it.
    as it is, i think i check my dash less and less and spend most of my time on my fandom tags lately.

• Like x 2
  4. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

i feel you also.

the main reason i stay is because it's a nice website for image blogging, which is what i mostly do. i've also just been unfollowing a lot of people lately even if i worry it might bother them, just because i'm tired of seeing their text posts and getting stressed out. gradually trying to get to a point where i follow art-only blogs, and a few blogs of friends and other people that i can generally tolerate.

5. Greywing

Greywing Resident dead bird

I have been rigorously implementing a three strikes policy in the past few weeks. If, within recent memory, someone reblogs or posts three things that induce cringing, eye-rolling, or distress at the sheer level of vitriol/misinformation/poorly constructed arguments/holier-than-though purism or similar content, I unfollow them immediately. It's helped cut down on the nonsense a lot. I should probably spend less time on there than I do anyway, though.

• Like x 5
  6. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

i'm on tumblr but i don't follow anyone but my own blogs. it's made my life a much nicer place. when i do reblog, it's from seebs/jesse/luka (because i check their blogs manually), spock/aewin/lily (again, manual check), or from people who reblog/like my stuff and i check their blogs. that's it.

i keep open to my followers by keeping an open askbox, anon on, and an open submit.

i realized in jan '14 that tumblr was eating my life and i quit cold turkey for about 7 months, then instituted the current policy. it's been serving me well.

• Like x 2
  7. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I follow makeup blogs, animal blogs, and kintsugijin. so, I'm generally good with drama, cause it's being filtered through a net of Not Terrible.

• Like x 1
  8. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I left all social media when the actor playing the eleventh Doctor was announced, because I didn't want to know until I saw the premiere. It was actually the best thing for me, but when I came back, I slowly fell back into old habits and ended up devoting too much of my time to keeping "caught up" with a blogging platform designed to prevent you from catching up.

9. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I jsut follow a few mutuals, some kintsugijin and artists, a buncha makeup/fashion blogs and some hipstery aesthetic blogs but I should probably weed out again, soonish. I'm pretty good at scrolling past shit that annoys me and also I kinda lowkey get fuelled by second-hand witnessing drama, also i haven't been completely caught up with my dashboard since like 2013 i just check in in the moment and see what's going on from time to time.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Like x 1
  10. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

im with ivy, i use tumblr pretty much as a platform for reblogging fashion and art and art history stuff, all i follow are blogs of that nature plus space and science type blogs, not many personals......! so honestly if you're feeling fed up with tumblr, it may help to weed through your following list and unfollowing a bunch that may cause you stress, and re-populate your blogroll with non-personal blogs that have to do with stuff you're interested in! tho if your primary interest wrt tumblr is fandom stuff you may be outta luck unfortunately :\\\\ i havent been in a real fandom in years so i cant really help with that

11. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

i went cold turkey off tumblr for about a year because toxic sjw culture was literally worsening my depression, and now i just follow some photog blogs and some animal stuff. it was probably the best thing i could have done for myself tbh.

• Like x 2
  12. banshu

banshu Patron Saint of Annoying Web Theme Workarounds

culling my followed blogs list down to photo blogs and ditching tumblr rp has made the experience strangely zen.

there are days when luka's blog is quiet that i almost forget tumblr is a cesspool.

• Like x 1
  13. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Yeah
    Right now I've cut down my access a huge amount

And when i start getting pissy or irritated I go do something else, which is something that I should have thought of before.

I'm still thinking about just completely leaving, but I have a few friends I might try to get on here first instead.

Thanks all for your support

Tumblr can be, in general, kind of fucking awful

• Like x 2
  14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

oh man I totally forgot the food blogs.
    I follow like four food blogs for the recipes :P

15. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

i went cold turkey in mid-may, and while i do miss the platform system, i do not miss the bs and guilttripping. if i ever return, im gonna be extremely selective in who i follow. like, the northfield crew, kintsugijin, food blogs, some very select artists and askblogs.

16. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Pretty much what I use on my personal, although I also check up on my vagueblogger daily, for screencapping purposes.

17. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

I follow *checks* 914 blogs, 75% of them are fandom/art blogs (probably half of them are inactive). I'm used to tumblr drama so it doesn't bother me too much, but I do unfollow those that reblog things I don't like or that I'm tired of seeing. Most people that I follow tag their arguments/rants/gender posts/opinion pieces so that they can be easily blacklisted without unfollowing people. I completely understanding wanted to wash your hands of the whole site, tumblr is such a mess.

18. dorkfang

dorkfang not here

Oh god I'm glad I'm not the only one who follows a ridiculous amount of people. Hahaha. Blacklist is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

19. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

haha i follow 3033 blogs - without a blacklist

20. dorkfang

dorkfang not here

Tumblr: Impossible Mode

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice