weird skills you have/things you learned that you'll probably never/hardly ever use?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Deresto, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

someone on tumblr made a list of interesting things they learned as a kid that that they'll probably never get the opportunity to implement (or if it was relevent as a kid/earlier age, something you no longer need to do). i thought it was cool and was curious what kind of unusual skills/lessons my fellow kintsugijin might have. here are some of mine:

• how to make a shelter with good coverage that won't collapse right away with sticks and branches, my record is a branch fort that lasted three days before my mom made me take it down
    • how to watch tv late at night without the light from the screen giving you away
    • how to read and understand rudimentary cat body language
    • learning the exact timing and sequence for the alligator boss level on sly cooper so i could play it without looking and with the controller behind my back
    • learning the dialogue from several spongebob episodes word for word and delivering it with exactly the same pacing and pitch as the original episode
    • how to make an origami frog jumper and a near perfect paper plane

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

how would one never find a use for that i mean really

Granted I always have at least two cats in my vicinity at all times and preferably like five but

• Like x 3
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

well i mean i've had my current cat for a really long time, and don't come across new ones very often. so it's like, yeah i know when a cat is stress purring or happy purring, or when it's angry enough to bite or swipe at you and when it's just irritated, but like. i'd probably know that about her anyways? i'm just pretty good with cats, can't really use that for anything in real life unless you work with them, are around them a lot, or need to help one in an emergency.

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Don't come across new ones often. Madness. MADNESS I SAY. MAKE FRIENDS WITH ALL THE STRANGE CATS YOU SEE.

Also useless skill wise I have a damned good mental map of the Disneyland park. You will never be lost in Disney with me. Well this isn't really useless because getting lost there sucks.

• Like x 2
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i live in a small town with almost nothing but dogs. nearly everyone i know is a dog person, some other animal person, or doesn't care either way/hates cats with a passion for no good reason. almost all the strays or pets that owners let roam around are dogs. every rare chance of a lil kitty i see outside is from a few blocks away, and they are always running. unless they're house cats they are skittish little things around here.

6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

My brother can do the Spongebob episode thing too!!

• Like x 2
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I can do fast, no-death, complete runs of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC version). Not speedrunning time, but pretty damn fast. I only had 4 games for GBC and I lost one, so lots of opportunity to get better at them.

8. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

memorizing children's picture books! i ahve forgottem them all now, alas

• Like x 2
  9. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

polibius code
    how to start a fire /w flint and steal
    every handicraft known to man (sewing, knitting, jewelry, quilting, pottery, mold casting, etc)
    how to tap maple trees
    how to make butter
    how to make glue
    how to make paint
    how to design and build wooden furniture. (i have state fair ribbons! :D )
    How to design and work with stained glass
    how to survive in the freezing clod for extended periods of time
    i can visualize the location or image of objects photographically after seeing them at least twice
    how to cook for 150 people in a kitchen with 3 others (GS camp)
    how to make candles
    actuallt i should just put "how to blank" is you can name it i most likey can make it
    do basic electrical wiring
    mud and sand drywall

i need to stop sorry

• Like x 3
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Recite the entirety of Jabberwocky
    Recite the inscription on the Statue of Liberty
    Recite the entirety of the Marauders' Map's teardown of Snape in the third Harry Potter book
    Recite the entirety of Galadriel's song from when the Fellowship are leaving Lothlorien in Lord of the Rings
    Recite most of the Hobbits' walking song from LotR
    (little me was REALLY good at memorizing things)
    Tell the sound of my mom walking down the hall outside my bedroom from the sound of my dad walking down the hall outside my bedroom
    The calls of several random birds that aren't found in my area
    How to get cholla spines out
    How to make saguaro-fruit jam
    Where morel mushrooms grow
    Which weeds in the yard are edible

• Like x 1
  11. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I memorized several poems in polish when I was little and never forgot them (though I guess they are good for impressing people?)

• Like x 1
  12. -how to make a shelter
    -edible or otherwise handy native plants
    -which flowers are most delicious
    -sockmonster creation
    -how to properly raise a chicken from egg to slaughtering age, how to dispose of it, and how to dress the carcass
    -the different types of fur rabbits have
    -the different body types rabbits have
    -rabbit breeds
    -chicken breeds
    -duck breeds
    -goose breeds
    -pigeon breeds
    -to an extent, cattle, sheep, pig, and goat breeds
    -chicken nutrition, as is appropriate for birbs of various life stages and uses
    -rabbit nutrition, same thing
    -what you feed rabbits to get them show-ready fast
    -how to properly blowdry a cow
    -how to weigh a pig
    -how to make a grumpy sow like you
    -how to get better compliance out of the horses than the girl who knees them in the goddamn belly when they puff out (seriously, it's not that hard. just be nice to them holy fuck)
    -halter training a donkey: what not to do
    -horse grooming
    -saddle cleaning

some of these might be more useful than others but most are p dang useless 8P

• Like x 3
  13. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I can still recite the opening lines to the fourth Harry Potter book from the Dutch audiobook.

There's probably more stuff, but I don't remember. XD

• Like x 1
  14. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

• can identify a variety of artifical sweeteners when eating food prepared with them
    • can identify food close to spoiling before other people can smell/taste there's something off
    • candlemaking
    • how to start a fire with flint & steel
    possibly some others that just are things-i-can-do but don't register as weird ::D

15. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

• How to skin, gut, butcher and debone just about anything.
    • How to salvage heavy stuff underwater using a bit of rope and a trash bag/bit of tarpaulin/someone's wetsuit hood
    • How to use a "full face" scuba mask (Had to borrow an instructor's once and they are FREAKIN' SWEET but like, $1.5k)
    • Can make an origami crane out of receipt paper in under 45s
    • Accurate accent mimicry after 1hr of conversation, faster if there's booze.
    • Candlemaking
    • Net weaving

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice