what's in a username?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by devils-avocado, Oct 13, 2016.

1. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

I love finding out how people picked their icon pics or usernames - sometimes I recognize the thing, but plenty of times I just don't have the context. anyone who wants to share the origin or inspiration for their username/icon/title etc. (past or present) is welcome to do so in this thread. here I'll go first

back in high school, I had a good friend who'd email me back and forth with all manner of inane comments, chain emails, and dumb ideas that couldn't wait until the next school day. this friend loved avocados, and was also completely terrible at spelling. at one point they spelled avocado wrong in a pretty obvious manner, and when I pointed out that they'd misspelled their favorite food, said 'fuck the advocates, you know what I meant'

hence, devils-avocado. the icon picture got shutter shades and a flower crown thanks to two separate CDCF raves and some very generous photoshoppers <3

• Like x 6
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I needed a name for an MMO character. I liked the way the word 11 looked in Scottish Gaelic. Here we are today.

• Like x 1
  3. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

My username is the names of two of my favorite bands - Indigo Girls and Hurray For The Riff Raff - squished together.

• Like x 1
  4. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

my username is a former tumblr url

i had it matching w a friend of mine. it's based off of those '[sexuality/gender/mental illness]-[character]' urls. but then they remade and didnt take the url

rifp furrykankri :^(

• Like x 2
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

My username is the name of my first character. I've pretty much used it ever since.

My icon is Marcille from Dungeon Meshi, which is an awesome manga about eating RPG-type enemies encountered in a magic dungeon. A great mashup of food manga and fantasy manga.

• Like x 1
  6. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

My username is because I love Maya Fey and 'MayaFeys' was taken on tumblr, so I added an extra A LOL. My icon is just bc I love Trucy even more and I'm the human embodiment of the peace sign emoji

• Like x 1
  7. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I really like lizards, you guys. Especially this one.

• Like x 4
  8. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

My picture is Asriel from Undertale. No more info because spoilers ;)
    My name is both a pun and an adjective. A pun, because my preferred name is Nicole or Nikki. Tech-Nicole-ity. Adjective because lots of the time that's what I am: an afterthought, a footnote, a technicality.
    EDIT: I don't mean that to be depressing at all :/ but I liked the way it sounded and it resonated with me so it kind of stuck.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    • Like x 1
  9. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

mine came from choosing random(ish) words that began with my initials! once upon a time it was applechalk because i thought chalk was totally lolrandom when i was 14. when i joined tumblr i went through lists of c-nouns and liked the way chime sounded and felt

my userpic is a djinni from golden sun, subjected to layer upon layer of cutesy shit. that's my Brandâ„¢

• Like x 4
  10. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

So back in my freshman year of college I was way down the Neopets hole, right, and I had a gothy neopet I made a whole backstory for and a furry avatar design, and I needed a GOTH AS FUCK NAME. So I found a website (long since dead now) that had a bunch of goth names, and one stuck out at me. Ruevian. It was unique, I'd never seen it anywhere, and no one else on Neopets had a pet named that. Bam, done.

Flash forward another year where I am bored with Neopets and now on Gaia. I need a username. One that isn't my actual name (which I did when I was younger) or a painfully weeaboo name (which I did when I was slightly older). Ruevian it was. SO COOL. SO GOTH SOUNDING. And that's been my username everywhere on the internet since.

Only found out years later Ruevian is a different spelling of the name Reuben. You know. Kinda like the sandwich.

Not as edgy as previously advertised.

• Like x 9
  11. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

[​IMG]

• Like x 12
  12. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

Sandwiches can be edgy. In fact, usually they have at least 1 edge. Unless you have some kind of weird circular sandwich.

• Like x 7
  13. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

A circular sandwich still has edges. It just doesn't have any sides. The only way to have a sandwich with no edges Would be to have an infinite sandwich.

Eta: unless you're talking about the mathmatical concept of an edge.

• Like x 5
  14. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

[​IMG]

GPOY

• Like x 12
  15. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

[​IMG]

Also it was part of my tumblr url for a while, based on a mashed up quote from Swinburne that went like:

• Like x 6
  16. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

I nabbed void because I feel often empty, but I also like to joke about yelling into the void, and now when others do it I can be like "ya whaddup"

• Like x 4
  17. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

my name is ray, i like puns, and i have titanium bones. eta: or some kind of metal. there's plastic in there too somewhere.

also i thought a circle had an infinite number of infinity small sides but idk? math is not my thing

• Like x 2
  18. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

same

• Like x 6
  19. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I was a tiny nerd who took tumblr's signup instructions of "pick a url that has some significance" seriously (yes, you may all laugh :P)

Loquaciousky- a portmanteau of "loquacious" (because yes, I do tend to run-ons and info dumps) and "sky," one of the translations of my middle name.
    "Loq" is an easy-to-spell shortening :P

The avatar... one of the early streams while PR was doodling out character ideas for the Dramatis Transformae RP, some crack was made about "how would you even attach wheels to tripod feet." PR scribbled a tiny yelling robot with heelie tripods, and let me screencap for posterity :P Robit acquired a ribbon during the CDCF Mass Wedding.

Title changes periodically, current one was a text to my sister about what I was doing while home sick :P

• Like x 3
  20. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Somewhere around 2011 I read Homestuck and decided to fall headfirst into the fandom, at which point I made myself a Pesterchum handle which came from...nothing in particular except that I like darkness and also rainbows? Idk. The previous handle I used for most places was shadowfire, because I was Le Goff as an adolescent and also liked contradictions :D Avatar is me vaguely cosplaying Mettaton because hot robot, likely to change to a doodle of same when I feel like expending the effort to change avatars, also gained CDCF wedding swag.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice